Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 3rd, 2018 08:00

XPS 15-9570, Audio crackling and popping

I have an issue that renders the audio on this laptop unusable.

I have a new XPS 9570, and occasionally (I stress that word because 75% of the time there is no issue) when playing audio, either through the built in speakers or through the audio jack, there is a loud popping and crackling noise that accompanies the audio. This renders any audio generated by the laptop unusable.

Because the issue is not always present, it is very hard to debug since you can't know if the issue was actually fixed, or just temporarily gone.

Testing I have done thus far:

When playing a continuous tone, such as generated by  , the issue is still present.

The crackling and popping increases with system volume, so if I turn the volume up on the laptop, the crackling becomes louder.

I have reflashed the BIOS to the newest version, uninstalled realtek, reinstalled realtek, disabled wave-maxx-audio (or whatever it is called), and tried using the built in windows drivers. Nothing has worked.

And note that when playing from bluetooth, there is no issue. So it is not a software issue in that way.

Very disappointing that on such an amazing laptop (it truly is amazing), an integral part of it is basically useless.

2 Posts

January 17th, 2019 01:00

Brand new machine arrived yesterday - fan was going pretty hard with only chrome open

Today I started having issues with the audio - started out with a black screen while watching a youtube video

Then the distortion and crackling.. re-installed drivers to new Dec and January ones and it got worse.

Currently I have seriously loud white noise with any system audio

This is the second machine I've had issues with from new with Dell

Will defo never buy again!!!

Contacted customer support and getting a full refund and will be purchasing elsewhere!! 

31 Posts

January 18th, 2019 12:00

In my case is 100% software related on W10 since I have zero problems using Linux.

Ridiculous support from Dell, never heard anything from them. Paid over 2k, premium support, zero answer on a basic things like audio quality.

Dell build quality is a meme, even a 500 bucks acer sounds better.

January 18th, 2019 14:00

Yes for me it's still the same, even after all the Realtek updates. This is getting ridiculous. 

I've still have the popping problem from time to time and additionally very bad distortion on middle and higher volumes from the notebook speakers. 

I remember there was a time (a week or so) when I had no problems at all and was surprised how good the sound actually was. Even other people came to me and asked what kind of notebook that is because it sounded so good. 

Doesn't make our problem better but yeah.. Iam really disappointed right now. 

Do you guys still have the distortion as well? 

Appreciate any feedback from you cause dells support **bleep**! 

2 Posts

January 18th, 2019 16:00

Same problem here. I have reinstalled the drivers and didn't work. I have also tried to install the newest drivers from the Realtek's website, but the speakers are not even recognised. Dell do something, it is unacceptable that this is still an issue after so many months.

January 18th, 2019 17:00

I just got my xps 15 9570 back from support and they've replaced everything including the daughter board and the issue is still very much there. I've tried every fix and nothing has worked so far :(

10 Posts

January 18th, 2019 19:00

Yes - I have an XPS 13 2-in-1 with the same issues. DELL tech said I should do a complete Win10 reinstall "that'll fix 'er!" -- the same garbage one gets when Microsoft "techs" don't have a clue what to do."

Have tried all the fixes -- different drivers, cutting off MaxxAudio etc. and can only go for about 4 days without the crackling/distortion coming back.

There is no one to go to for support.

Just awful. 

Shame on you, DELL.

27 Posts

January 19th, 2019 00:00

I suggest to sell it ASAP and buy other. Nobody will fix all these bugs... 

January 19th, 2019 08:00

@nierika same here, I was told to reinstall the OS several times and in different ways, which I did to rule out that as an option. I wasted soo much time doing this. This is ridiculous

How Dell can pass off a defective laptop as premium and costly is beyond me

1 Message

January 20th, 2019 20:00

Bought my XPS15 in December, now 6 weeks later for the first time I experienced the "crackling" as well. The workaround for turning spatial sound on worked, but I'm concerned as this is not a fix. I've already had a open ticket with Dell - whenever I log the screen the laptop will go into hibernate mode (even when plugged in) and required a hard restart to get the screen back alive.

Agree - for a premium laptop at a premium price I'm not overly impressed - maybe should have done more research.

68 Posts

January 21st, 2019 04:00

Because they **bleep**

January 21st, 2019 06:00

I've had the same issue. For me updating to the latest BIOS (1.7.0) fixed the issue!

January 21st, 2019 07:00

Strike that, I spoke too soon.....
After an hour or so it started crackling again :-(

January 21st, 2019 08:00

So I don't know what was happening or why this worked but I was having the same issue, crackling and popping during any type of audio. That's YouTube, Spotify, Ableton Live 10, etc.

I went to the device manager and disabled the Nvidia audio driver and it seems to have cleared it up. They're still not great speakers but I didn't expect a laptop to have top quality sound. The annoying pops and cracks are gone though and that's what I think most people want.

30 Posts

January 21st, 2019 11:00

The black screen issue was also common, fortunately it was solved by some bios or driver update. Too bad I had to download the right driver manually, Dell Update app is worthless.

Audio crackling problem prevails. In my case it is not too bad, though. I have come across some interesting information about this issue:
https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/Win-10-Home-High-DPC-latency-XPS-15-9570-ACPI-sys/td-p/6113042
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Dell-XPS-15-9570-s-DPC-latency-issue-should-be-fixed-soon.341436.0.html

BTW does anyone hear the sound from the laptop's jack like slightly echoing? Almost like there is a small delay between the channels, but I can actually hear it in a single channel as well. It is very unpleasant with headphones. My wireless headphones don't do that, though.

2 Posts

January 22nd, 2019 01:00

Please Dell come with a fix for this... so annoying.. we all bought a expensive laptop and it's **bleep**... crackling noise... HDMI to external monitor that doesn't work..

No Events found!