Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 3rd, 2018 08:00

XPS 15-9570, Audio crackling and popping

I have an issue that renders the audio on this laptop unusable.

I have a new XPS 9570, and occasionally (I stress that word because 75% of the time there is no issue) when playing audio, either through the built in speakers or through the audio jack, there is a loud popping and crackling noise that accompanies the audio. This renders any audio generated by the laptop unusable.

Because the issue is not always present, it is very hard to debug since you can't know if the issue was actually fixed, or just temporarily gone.

Testing I have done thus far:

When playing a continuous tone, such as generated by  , the issue is still present.

The crackling and popping increases with system volume, so if I turn the volume up on the laptop, the crackling becomes louder.

I have reflashed the BIOS to the newest version, uninstalled realtek, reinstalled realtek, disabled wave-maxx-audio (or whatever it is called), and tried using the built in windows drivers. Nothing has worked.

And note that when playing from bluetooth, there is no issue. So it is not a software issue in that way.

Very disappointing that on such an amazing laptop (it truly is amazing), an integral part of it is basically useless.

1 Message

May 7th, 2019 03:00

Hi guys,

I just bought a refurbished 9570 and realized this problem, 

for anyone who is still suffering this problem, I totally fixed by installing the newest Realtek high definition driver,

you can find it under this page, and the updated date is May/06/2019.

gl hf.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

May 7th, 2019 07:00

@kostlerdc wrote:

Dear Alan,

Below you will find my answers:

a)Is the issue constant or is it infrequent? 

The issue is constant but after several updates as well as disables and re-enables of devices in 'device manager', it became less intense although it is still very annoying and needs to be fixed

b) Is the sound that you are hearing an audible pop or is it a crackle?

It sounds more like audible pop - like it doesn't handle the sound well-

c) When do you hear the sound, i.e when you connect or disconnect the ac adaptor?

It’s always the same

d) Is it when audio is played back?

Its when audio or video is played back

d) Does it happen on the internal speakers or external headphones or both?

I used to hear it from headphones as well. Now after the update I can hear it from the laptop speakers

e) Does it happen on ac only, battery only or combination of both?

It doesn’t matter if the laptop runs on battery or the ac adaptor is plugged in

Latest update:

I followed Erik_B ‘s advise and disabled completely the Maxx Audio Pro audio enhancements and it is the only that worked so far! No more annoying sounds. The music now is flat but without issues!

Thank you Erik_B!!!

Have you tried uninstalling the audio driver completely from the system and then installing the latest version to see if that improves the audio quality? For testing purposes can you also re-enable the Maxx Audio Pro.

Alan

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

May 7th, 2019 07:00

@RGBR wrote:
These problems were already here, and havent been solver, after Bios 1.10: Dell XPS 15 9570 audio problem with Waves GTR 3.5, noise when AC adapter is plugged https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndsO0mOYB1M&feature=youtu.be Dell XPS 15 9570 audio problem with NI Guitar RIG 5, noise when AC adapter is plugged https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlFELVkykkE&t=1s

@RGBR thanks for those two youtube clips, those are really helpful for identifying the noise. It was also really helpful the point showing the differences with the ac adaptor being connected.

As per my other response, have you tried uninstalling the audio driver completely and installing the latest driver from the website to see if that improves the audio performance?

Alan

42 Posts

May 7th, 2019 21:00

@Dell-Alan D wrote:

@RGBR wrote:
These problems were already here, and havent been solver, after Bios 1.10: Dell XPS 15 9570 audio problem with Waves GTR 3.5, noise when AC adapter is plugged https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndsO0mOYB1M&feature=youtu.be Dell XPS 15 9570 audio problem with NI Guitar RIG 5, noise when AC adapter is plugged https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlFELVkykkE&t=1s

@RGBR thanks for those two youtube clips, those are really helpful for identifying the noise. It was also really helpful the point showing the differences with the ac adaptor being connected.

As per my other response, have you tried uninstalling the audio driver completely and installing the latest driver from the website to see if that improves the audio performance?

Alan

Hello Dell-Allan D

Yes, I´ve unninstalled the driver and installed again, and the results with newest driver (Realtek-High-Definition-Audio-Driver_FMM28_WIN_6.0.1.8642_A05) and the newest Bios (1.10.1) are the one on the videos.

Is there something can be done to fix this ? It could be even my AC adapter is with some problem. I dont have another one around to test with another AC adapter. If Dell could send me one to test, we sould at least eliminate this possibility.

I even contacted Waves support (company that makes the software GTR 3.5, showed on the video), and they said after looking at the video, that the problem is not with the software, but with the AC adapter or laptop. This is they answer:

"Dear Rafael,

Thank you for contacting Waves Tech Support.

Looking at the video you sent, it seems like the power cable on your computer is introducing noise regardless of GTR.
GTR is just amplifying the signal coming into it, being an amp modeler and more so since you are using stomps like compressors, etc.

The noise itself is not coming from GTR but from the AC adapter itself.
I would suggest consulting a computer technician to assist further.

If you need anything else, don't hesitate to contact us or visit our Support Page.

Best regards,

xxxx
Tech Support Representative"

14 Posts

May 7th, 2019 23:00

@Dell-Alan D wrote:

It has nothing to do with the drivers -- just as it is with the latency/cracks/pops issue, as it affects not just the built-in audio card. In the PSU noise case, pretty sure it's the hardware. I have it on my laptop too, it's awful on one set of monitors (Focals) and non-existent on another (Genelecs). Tried it with EMU 0404 USB audio interface, NI Komplete Audio 6 as well as the Realtek and it's always present. It's also in the headphones. I can hear the noise even when I simply lower my ear to the keyboard around the area where the electricity plugs in.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/1257796-dell-xps-laptops-psu-hum-affecting-focal-solo-6-a.html

Needless to say, it wasn't there with my old laptop.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

May 8th, 2019 06:00

@SergioXPS9570 wrote:

I'm having the highest DPC  Latency numbers ever with BIOS 1.10 it actually became much worse than before.

Something is very very very wrong.... :(

@SergioXPS9570 I would agree that there is something wrong there as that shouldn't be the case. Have you checked latency monitor to see what processes are hogging the processor as that could be the reason for the latency rather than the BIOS update.

Alan

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

May 8th, 2019 06:00

@RGBR wrote:

@Dell-Alan D wrote:

@RGBR wrote:

Alan

Hello Dell-Allan D

Yes, I´ve unninstalled the driver and installed again, and the results with newest driver (Realtek-High-Definition-Audio-Driver_FMM28_WIN_6.0.1.8642_A05) and the newest Bios (1.10.1) are the one on the videos.

Is there something can be done to fix this ? It could be even my AC adapter is with some problem. I dont have another one around to test with another AC adapter. If Dell could send me one to test, we sould at least eliminate this possibility.

I even contacted Waves support (company that makes the software GTR 3.5, showed on the video), and they said after looking at the video, that the problem is not with the software, but with the AC adapter or laptop. This is they answer:

"Dear Rafael,

Thank you for contacting Waves Tech Support.

Looking at the video you sent, it seems like the power cable on your computer is introducing noise regardless of GTR.
GTR is just amplifying the signal coming into it, being an amp modeler and more so since you are using stomps like compressors, etc.

The noise itself is not coming from GTR but from the AC adapter itself.
I would suggest consulting a computer technician to assist further.

If you need anything else, don't hesitate to contact us or visit our Support Page.

Best regards,

xxxx
Tech Support Representative"

@RGBR thanks for contacting the GTR representative. I can send you out a replacement ac adaptor if you like, however I'm not sure it's going to resolve the issue for you. I don't think the ac adaptor itself is causing the problem but the power draw when it is connected. 

Your previous video shows this when the ac adaptor was disconnected. 

Let me know what you think, I'm happy to send you out a replacement ac adaptor to confirm this.

I'll drop you a private message for your service tag and your ac adaptor details.

Alan

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

May 8th, 2019 07:00

@abragagn wrote:

The lates BIOS updated resolved nothing.

Still having heavy DPC problems and audio cracking all the time. Sadly it's a institutional laptop and I cannot resell it or change it for another brand.

yAxD9RT

@abragagn looking at the latency monitor the system is telling you what processes are causing your latency issues. If you compare yours to the ones previously shared by other posters, the are different.

My suggestion would be to start investigating those two drivers as they are causing your latency issues rather than those that are specific to the BIOS update. I believe this is why some customers are saying a BIOS update is resolving the issue for them but others, like yourself are seeing no difference at all.

Alan

14 Posts

May 8th, 2019 08:00

Regarding the latency issues, for me there is a definite improvement with the 1.10.1 bios. However, i'm not denying that people still have latency issues with it. Here you can see LatencyMon with all routines or drivers under 1ms, this is acceptable for running my daw's, Reaper, Ableton live 10 and presonus Studio 4 with fairly low buffer settings and no sound artefacts.latency.jpg

latency1.jpg

I run in high performance with Speedshift enabled but Speedstep disabled, which goes against regular advice to disable both. Turbo i left enabled but if i lived in a hotter country i would probably disable it to prevent thermal throttling which is a disaster for real-time audio recording.

This latency issue is not a simple solution but with the new Bios and a little patience disabling certain drivers causing trouble, i've sorted my problems and i hope this can be some help to others not so fortunate. I must say i also replaced the Killer wireless card with an intel 9260 and that cured my Ndis.sys, which had latency spikes of 3.0ms or higher. 

Many things can contribute to DPC latency and i think Microsoft should be assisting Dell to clear this up once and for all, or maybe they are, i really don't know.

31 Posts

May 10th, 2019 13:00

@Dell-Alan D 

ndis.sys and ACPI.sys are widely known for causing latency issue with no clear cause. You can google it and you will find tons of people with this problem with tons of solutions that may or may not work. Even in this forum you can find topic like these:

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/Win-10-Home-High-DPC-latency-XPS-15-9570-ACPI-sys/td-p/6113042/page/8

Laptop manufacturers are shifting the blame on Microsoft, Microsoft is shifting it on intel, intel on the manufacturers and so on. There is no common solution and I'm stuck with a 2000$ worth of nothing that I cannot use for basic video reproduction which is something even 100$ smartphone can do without issues.

We are at a point where every modern laptop with "modern" updates and "modern" operative system is a ticking bomb. You buy a PC worth twice your salary and then you need to spend weeks in forums to understand we it is not working as intended. What's the point in buying "quality"? I should have buy this machine on amazon so I could have give it back.

May 12th, 2019 10:00

I have been travelling for a while and I have just returned. Saw there was an update and applied without any success... Audio for me is still not clear water, I can hear noise in the background...

I have run out of patience taking into account the money and TIME spent in this. The way this has been handled is not acceptable.

Can anyone give me a serious option to do? I bought this on January in the UK. I did not raise any Support ticket because I saw Internet was full of people like me but I have also heard I would not be able to get back my money or anything like that.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

May 14th, 2019 03:00

@javierguzman wrote:

I have been travelling for a while and I have just returned. Saw there was an update and applied without any success... Audio for me is still not clear water, I can hear noise in the background...

I have run out of patience taking into account the money and TIME spent in this. The way this has been handled is not acceptable.

Can anyone give me a serious option to do? I bought this on January in the UK. I did not raise any Support ticket because I saw Internet was full of people like me but I have also heard I would not be able to get back my money or anything like that.

@javierguzman I've dropped you a private message.

Alan

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

May 14th, 2019 03:00

@abragagn wrote:

@Dell-Alan D 

ndis.sys and ACPI.sys are widely known for causing latency issue with no clear cause. You can google it and you will find tons of people with this problem with tons of solutions that may or may not work. Even in this forum you can find topic like these:

https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/Win-10-Home-High-DPC-latency-XPS-15-9570-ACPI-sys/td-p/6113042/page/8

Laptop manufacturers are shifting the blame on Microsoft, Microsoft is shifting it on intel, intel on the manufacturers and so on. There is no common solution and I'm stuck with a 2000$ worth of nothing that I cannot use for basic video reproduction which is something even 100$ smartphone can do without issues.

We are at a point where every modern laptop with "modern" updates and "modern" operative system is a ticking bomb. You buy a PC worth twice your salary and then you need to spend weeks in forums to understand we it is not working as intended. What's the point in buying "quality"? I should have buy this machine on amazon so I could have give it back.

@abragagn I am very aware of the acpi.sys issues from my various responses on multiple threads. The problem we have is identifying what processes are failing that are contributing to the acpi.sys latency. This is what I was trying to explain to you in my previous reply and others have alluded to.

Your two drivers / processes causing the latency are ndis.sys and wdf01000.sys. 

Ndis.sys is most likely your network driver. I would ensure that one is the very latest. Quite often it is better to uninstall the drivers and software completely before installing the latest driver. From the thread that you linked to - https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/XPS-15-9570-DPC-latency-ACPI-SYS/td-p/6113042/page/8 others have had luck by replacing the card with an Intel 9260. If you are running the Killer Wifi card, I would recommend using Killer's own drivers than that Dell ones - https://support.killernetworking.com/software/ The May 7th drivers are the very latest.

An improvement with the Ndis.sys process may bring your overall latency down and give you green positive results in Latency Monitor.

wdf01000.sys is alot trickier to tackle as this relates to Windows Kernal mode drivers. Similar to this overall acpi.sys issue, the problem is identifying what is causing problems with it as it is affected by something else in the system. A greater explanation of how this works can be found in the very last post of this forum thread - https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?t=230566

Alan

31 Posts

May 14th, 2019 05:00

I'll try your suggestions as soon as I have some free time.

9 Posts

May 17th, 2019 18:00

For now I believe the DPC Latency got better with the new BIOS update. I'm not sure yet as I don't use Windows that much(dual boot). I'll write again if I experience any more audio crackling.

BUT: The last two audio driver versions(6.0.1.8603,A04 and 6.0.1.8642) still have a terrible echo effect and some kind of bass boost. So I'm still using 6.0.1.8454 and it's working perfectly. Still I'm worried that at some point this driver won't be supported by a new Windows version anymore.

So please Dell: As the BIOS update seems to have fixed the root cause at least partially, just undo whatever you changed in these versions!

No Events found!