Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

17 Posts

July 5th, 2019 05:00

XPS 15 9570 - Not resuming from sleep

Hi All, My 9570 has had this problem since I purchased it new will go into sleep but then refuse to come out, tapping space bar lights up keyboard but the screen does not come on. I am forced to hold down the power button for 30 seconds to hard power off the laptop hear the fan spin up as it switches off. I have had this problem since I got the laptop beginning of May, it is running Windows 10 1903 fully up to date and all the latest Dell drivers and Bios. The only post I found suggested re flashing BIOS but I have done about 4 bios upgrades since getting this laptop and none have made any difference to the Sleep problem. I do not see any sleep related settings in the BIOS. Are there any options beside fully disabling sleep in Windows as I don't see why I should need to shutdown and restart every time on a modern laptop which is what I am having to do currently

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

July 5th, 2019 06:00

I had a situation once where a device on the system was failing and not coming out of sleep correctly.  You might check the Event Viewer for any log entries and run msinfo32.exe to check the problem devices section.  If you were to open the Device Manager, it might also show problem devices.

Otherwise, does it make a difference as to the time the system is in the expected condition before the problem happens?  Does it make a difference whether on battery or not?

Check your settings for screen off, hibernate and sleep to see if those times are involved and make changes to the times for testing.  I cannot remember if the 9570 is a modern standby system, but if it is, that could effect what you are seeing.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

July 5th, 2019 13:00

Did you try a brief press of the power button to wake it from Hibernation? Hibernation kicks in when the computer sleeps for a longer length of time. That is the default setting. Turn it off or adjust the settings in Power Options, Additional power settings. Change Plan Settings.

Right click on the Start button to get to Power Options.

17 Posts

July 7th, 2019 10:00

Upon investigation it seems that my laptop is not going to sleep but rather that the screen is going off and not coming back on with keyboard or mouse movement, this only seems to happen if the screen has been off for a while.

My power settings are set to sleep only after 5 hours on battery or adapter but screen off is 4 min on battery and 15 on power, it is not set to hibernate at all from what I see under advanced settings for my power profile.

Any idea's for what could be causing screen not to come back on or something I can try besides turning off the screen sleep option.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.3K Posts

July 7th, 2019 16:00

I cannot remember if the 9570 is a modern standby system.  If it is, typing powercfg /a in a command prompt should tell you by saying standby (S3) sleep is not available.

The system behaves differently in modern standby so let us know if it is..

17 Posts

July 8th, 2019 22:00

Hi, Below is the powercfg /a output don't know much about S state's is this the normal config?

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> powercfg /a
The following sleep states are available on this system:
Standby (S0 Low Power Idle) Network Connected
Hibernate
Fast Startup

The following sleep states are not available on this system:
Standby (S1)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.
This standby state is disabled when S0 low power idle is supported.

Standby (S2)
The system firmware does not support this standby state.

Standby (S3)

Hybrid Sleep
Standby (S3) is not available.

• 

17K Posts

July 9th, 2019 04:00

RyanMJ,

Click my name and private message me the pc service tag number.

17 Posts

July 11th, 2019 06:00

This is the state it is not coming out of see in previous events it shows waking from keyboard input but when it hangs and I am forced to hard power off it shows no wake from keyboard in event logs. Power button also does not wake it.

The system is entering connected standby

Reason: Idle Timeout.

• 

17K Posts

July 11th, 2019 08:00

Click the link below and reinstall the video card drivers for your system. A new driver was just released 2 days ago.

• 

17K Posts

July 16th, 2019 10:00

RyanMJ,

Did the issue get resolved on your computer with the drivers install?

• 

17K Posts

July 17th, 2019 10:00

RyanMJ,

Did the issue get resolved on your computer with the drivers install?

17 Posts

July 18th, 2019 22:00

Hi @DELL-Jesse L 

No the updated drivers did not resolve the sleep/screen hang issue a day after I did all the updates from your post I found the laptop unresponsive after leaving it open on my desk for a while.

I have been trying to isolate what causes these intermittent freezes, in all cases I think the screen was open this most recent time the laptop was on AC and sitting at my desk with the screen open. Again I do not think it had gone to sleep per say rather switched off the screen and does not respond. I have tried both keyboard and mouse as well as touching the fingerprint reader and repeatedly pressing the power button. None of these resolve the issue only holding the power button down to force a shutdown and then rebooting.

• 

17K Posts

July 19th, 2019 05:00

RyanMJ,

Click the link below to update the harddrive Firmware. 

Toshiba KXG50ZNV256G/KXG50ZNV512G/KXG50ZNV1T02 non-SED Solid State Drive Firmware Update

• 

17K Posts

July 22nd, 2019 10:00

RyanMJ,

Did the firmware resolve the issue? 

17 Posts

July 29th, 2019 10:00

I have not had this issue since the one time after the graphics driver update, so hopefully there was a fix in there that took a while to flush system. The problem resolved before I did the Toshiba firmware but I have since done that update. I will start a new thread if the issue reappears in the future but have not had an issue since my last post and I have been using the sleep function regularly to test.

1 Message

October 10th, 2019 06:00

I had this problem. After updating different drivers, including BIOS and video, the screen went black, the keyboard light was on. When the ignition button was pressed for 10 seconds for kill, the fan worked hard and turned off. When tried to power on the LED blinked once white and two amber. I disassembled the back cover, disconnected the battery, reconnected it and it worked for two weeks. The problem returned, I repeated the process, disassembled the back cover, and while it was on I proceeded to screw it, and just when I introduced the two long screws that are next to the label, under the magnetic cover, the problem returned. I repeated the process without mounting those two screws and it is still working for now.

No Events found!