Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Z

10 Posts

August 20th, 2019 18:00

XPS 15 9570, WD15, not charging, #3

I know i've seen a few topics with similar feedback, but no solution. I purchased my WD15 dock from Amazon, so Dell chat closed my session with them and punted that back to Amazon before even attempting to help so trying here. My XPS used to charge solely over USB C with the 180W charger, then a few months ago it stopped and began to discharge even though it doesn't send a warning about anything on boot. I have latest firmware and updates for everything. Does anyone have any suggestions?? I'm past the return window from Amazon and unless Dell starts to play nice, I am out of luck. Thanks in advance for any help.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

August 21st, 2019 07:00

If you go into the BIOS of your system and select the Battery Information, what is the detected wattage of the AC adapter when connected to the dock?  It should be 130W since that's what the WD15 provides when it's driven by a 180W source (and 130W is what the XPS 15 is designed for).  If you're not seeing that, then chances are either the dock unit or the 180W AC adapter is bad.  It's also technically possible that some issue with your system has rendered it unable to charge properly over USB-C even if it can still charge via its traditional barrel-style AC adapter connector, but I consider that much less likely.  If you happen to have access to any other Dell 180W or higher AC adapter or another WD15 unit, you'd be able to figure out which component is the culprit.  If not, then I would contact Dell Support providing the Service Tag or Express Service Code you should be able to find on the underside of the unit.  It might turn out that the unit is under warranty.  I'm not sure how warranties are handled on items purchased through Amazon.  Even that might depend on whether it was purchased directly from Amazon or through a third-party seller operating through Amazon.

10 Posts

August 21st, 2019 18:00

BIOS battery information is showing 130W as it should. Now that i'm booted into Windows battery percentage has already started to drain. I do have another 180W charger that renders the same results, unfortunately. I had thought maybe it was BIOS version since 9570 has been kinda buggy anyway, especially with the USB C dock. At least now it works like it should, minus the charging.

• 

17K Posts

August 22nd, 2019 07:00

zsarver,

I see that you contacted Dell Chat and they asked that you contact Amazon to replace the dock. If you haven't updated the Dock firmware you can click below. Updating your xps 9570 bios and chipset drivers should be updated prior to updating the dock firmware. 

xps 9570 Drivers

WD15 Drivers

• 

17K Posts

August 29th, 2019 07:00

zsarver,

Do other devices work connected to the usb-c port?

Release flea power on the Dock
To release flea power, follow these steps:
Remove the Dock USB-C / TB cable from the System.
Unplug AC power from the Dock.
Drain power on the Dock by holding the power button for 30 seconds.
Plug AC power into the Dock before redocking the with the System.
NOTE: The type C USB connector LED may remain lit despite an error transferring power to the system, contrary to how AC Adapter LED responds to a short, overvoltage, overcurrent or over temperature situation.

10 Posts

August 29th, 2019 07:00

They did, but disconnected the chat immediately before even attempting to troubleshoot. The dock firmware is latest, as is everything on the XPS.

I was able to test out another dock of the same model with a 180W charger and the issue remains so it looks like the issue is not with the dock, but something with the XPS.

• 

17K Posts

August 29th, 2019 10:00

zsarver,

Click the link here for troubleshooting the battery charging issue? Also, follow the steps below to run the ePSA diags.

Running the ePSA Diagnostics

Invoke diagnostics boot by either of the methods that are suggested below:

1.Power on the computer.

https://dell.to/2NAqlVX the computer boots, press the F12 key when the Dell logo is displayed.

https://dell.to/2NDyJUw the boot menu screen, use Up/Down arrow key to select the Diagnostics option and then press Enter.

NOTE: The Enhanced Pre-boot System Assessment window displays, listing all devices detected in the computer. The diagnostics starts running the tests on all the detected devices.

4. Press the arrow in the lower-right corner to go to the page listing.
The detected items are listed and tested.

https://dell.to/2NDyKry run a diagnostic test on a specific device, press Esc and click Yes to stop the diagnostic test.

https://dell.to/2NAqmsZ the device from the left pane and click Run Tests.

7.If there are any issues, error codes are displayed.
Note the error code and contact Dell.
or

8.Shut down the computer.

https://dell.to/2NAqn01 and hold the Fn key, while pressing the power button, and then release both.

10.Repeat steps 3–7 above.

10 Posts

August 29th, 2019 10:00

The dock (other than charging) works great. I have 2 monitors and a keyboard attached directly to the dock and all function normally. The dock i tried today was a brand new one that worked on another Dell machine of different model, so i know that one does work.

10 Posts

August 29th, 2019 12:00

The links you shared are non-functional. I did just run the pre-boot diagnostics, all passing. If you can reshare the troubleshooting charging link, i can try those steps.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

August 29th, 2019 15:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @zsarver 

Have you tried to adjust any of your Power Management settings in the BIOS??

You do have a new update for the Windows based Power Manager Service.

Dell Power Manager Service:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=h2vh9&oscode=wt64a&productcode=xps-15-9570-laptop

Best regards,

U2

10 Posts

August 30th, 2019 11:00

I don't think I have edited any BIOS power settings, but if you can point out ones that would cause this not to function over USB C i can look further.

I installed the Dell app indicated, and it shows that it is plugged in and charging, but the battery percentage continues to fall.

10 Posts

August 30th, 2019 11:00

I also have followed the troubleshooting article mentioned above in the thread. I ran all the diagnostics in Dell SupportAssist too, with no issues found. I rechecked for new drivers today, no additional ones found.

• 

17K Posts

September 3rd, 2019 11:00

zsarver,

Follow the troubleshooting steps below and let me know the results

Release flea power on the Dock

To release flea power, follow these steps:

1. Remove the Dock USB-C / TB cable from the System.
  2. Unplug AC power from the Dock.
  3. Drain power on the Dock by holding the power button for 30 seconds.
  4. Plug AC power into the Dock before redocking the with the System.

NOTE: The type C USB connector LED may remain lit despite an error transferring power to the system, contrary to how AC Adapter LED responds to a short, overvoltage, overcurrent or over temperature situation.

Check if the battery is charging through systems AC adapter

Unplug the Thunderbolt docking station from the system, and charge the system through Dell supplied/ compatible AC adapter to confirm that the system has been charging

• 

17K Posts

September 6th, 2019 03:00

zsarver,

Did you resolve the issue with the charging?

• 

17K Posts

September 9th, 2019 03:00

zsarver,

Did you resolve the issue with the charging?

2 Posts

February 24th, 2020 21:00

Just found that it really looks like there is a hardware problem 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/co842t/xps_9570_burned_chip_does_not_charge_with_usbc/

No Events found!