Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 27th, 2019 20:00

XPS 15-9570, color banding issue

Recently got this xps 15, but am dissapointed by the ridiculous amount of color banding on the monitor. All the blacks are pixelated and crunchy. How do I fix this?

8 Posts

October 4th, 2019 02:00

Hello there,

since the issue seems to be widespread and I was one of the first here in this thread who mourned about it I would like to give more input on how I "solved it" for me (cause it is not actually a solution but a work around).

After hours of trying and retrying I finally found that if you uninstall Dell Premier Color but keep Intel Drivers AND (important!) use Intel Graphics Control Center, the banding is far less visible - at least in video content.

Note that the key to satisfaction is Intel Graphics Control Center. There you got to click on "Video" and find "Input Range" (I translated this from German; It is the 2nd menu from top). Open it and set "Driver settings" and there set "Full Range" instead of the standard value "Limited Range".

This will set your range of visible hex colors from about 10 - 235 to 0 - 255.

Hope I could help.

Michael

October 4th, 2019 02:00

And just one more thing little thing. So happened that I just opened Geeforce experience and saw this (see below).

Will you say that you still don't see any gradients issues and this is something that requires special level "advanced" support?

Thank you.

GeForceExperience start.jpg

2 Posts

October 4th, 2019 04:00

Hi

Unfortunately, it didn't fix the issue at all. Obiously, Dell isn't concerned with this issue and they don't even try to solve it. There are too many Users with this issue and nothing is done by Dell! Paying +2000 Euros for a device and not getting support is a shame.

October 4th, 2019 08:00

Just contacted Dell via twitter.

Even funnier there - I send that GeForce Experience screenshot which I posted here above - he says he don't see any issues with the image 

That is really top level of respect to a customer. Can't believe it is possible in the end of 2019.
If someone sane from Dell ever sees this, I'd be very happy to see some comments on this.

DellTwitter_1.JPGDellTwitter_2.JPGDellTwitter_3.JPG

11 Posts

October 4th, 2019 13:00

This is madness. I have been having these fruitless conversations for more than 2 months now. For the first time tonight there was some minor progress - we installed Intel Graphics Command Centre. It did improve the banding a bit, did not resolve it, but it messed up the colours, so it requires additional tweaking. If you have not yet, you can give it a go and see if it does anything for you.

October 5th, 2019 11:00

Thank you Raine!

I'll try this option, but thing I'd better get back to that old bios and try to find some good combination with an old graphic driver where we had ideal picture condition.

Anyways, the funniest and strange thing that this Dell people even pretend that they don't see any issues it all. I just can hardly believe it's possible. Here's the last part of the same twitter dialogue and image I'm referring to there attached. This is rediculous.

DellTwitter_4.JPGGeForceExperience start.jpg

1 Message

October 6th, 2019 00:00

Hello, same issue.

Andrew I just wanted to say that if I view this topic with my dell xps 15 i can see the banding problem (because even mine has it), but if I watch it with my phone the images are great, try to do the same.

So I think that the only way to show them the issue is to take a photo of the screen with a camera.

October 6th, 2019 01:00

Hi Jack,

Assuming this, I tried to open the image on different PC and my phone (galaxy s9) - all those thing are seen pretty good. For PC I had to adjust brightness a bit - with low brightness it's not so evident. Best thing to test is that black GeForce screen attached in one of the posts right above.

October 6th, 2019 20:00

After having seen the sub-par customer service in this forum and the complete lack of effort on the part of these Dell representatives to do anything about this issue, I wanted to try to make this extremely clear to them. 

Below is a link to my OneDrive account which contains some raw, unedited 24 MP images taken in high dynamic range conditions on a Nikon D850. In the dark areas it is incredibly apparent that there is a serious banding/contrast problem that these Dell representatives are refusing to acknowledge, likely because they don't know how to fix it and therefore refuse to take responsibility for it.

Due to differences between platforms, these images have been taken of my screen with my Galaxy S10 at full resolution and no color profiles under equal conditions with my Dell XPS screen is at full brightness in 4k resolution mode. I will also include a video demonstrating the work around I mentioned earlier, which will continue to serve as proof that there is indeed a software problem with the Intel Graphics Control Panel. Two pictures are the "before" the work around and the other is the "after".

These pictures are displayed in windows photo viewer and the problem remains in MS Paint, Faststone Viewer, Lightroom, Photoshop, Premier, Illustrator, any movie viewer, any website, my desktop background with no programs open, doesn't matter. As stated by others, I did not used to have this issue prior to the BIOS update.

Do not ask me for my device ID. Do not ask me for my warranty information. Do not direct message me for my information. Publicly respond with at least a minimum attempt at troubleshooting. Dell caused this problem, Dell will fix this problem regardless of our warranties.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aq0rO-cHHGnhgshl3Dm3C8JqzpvghA?e=TLEKZi

2 Posts

October 7th, 2019 02:00

Guys, I might have found a solution for this problem.

I uninstalled the Intel UHD Graphics Control Panel completely from my XPS15 and I see a huge Improvement!

It's not perfect but I massivly better than before.

20191007_114755.jpg

IMG-20191002-WA0015.jpeg

  

October 7th, 2019 11:00

Thank you Pakon for your findings, but I don't think it is acceptable quality, though first image looks just waaay to bad. I tried it myself as well, but basially didn't see significant improvement if any.

The funniest thing is that we're talking here only between each other and dell guys just keep ignoring all this.
I also asked question on Dell twitter, referring to the detailed info from nbrown09r1 couple of posts above, but they just stopped answering. I just don't understand what is going on here.

1 Rookie

• 

490 Posts

October 8th, 2019 01:00

> The funniest thing is that we're talking here only between each other and dell guys just keep ignoring all this.

It isn't funny, they seem to be specifically trained not to acknowledge any issues which don't appear to have a ready solution. Probably because they think it makes them not liable They have a history of similar issues, presumably related to BIOS and the Intel video driver, and it took months to get them resolved. In the meantime, users often found working combinations of older BIOS and Intel video driver version combinations. 

You can also try reddit r/Dell and the NotebookReview forum "Dell XPS and Studio XPS". 

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

October 8th, 2019 06:00

@ Pakon, thank you for sharing a clear image. We can see the gradient on the image now.

@ andrewphirsov, we have received your private message.

We have escalated this to the product team. We will keep you posted as soon as we have an update on this.

4 Operator

• 

3.4K Posts

October 9th, 2019 08:00

Could anyone of you try these steps & let us know the outcome?

1.Install Windows 10

2.Run updates/drivers as normal.

3.Install Dell Premier Color

4.Settings -> (Search) "color management"

5.Go to the "Advanced" tab

6.Click "Change system defaults"

7.Go to "Advanced" tab again

8.Check "Use Windows Display Calibration" box

9.Switch to a different color profile in DPC (such as from "vivid" to "rgb")

10.Download or just open this color gradient image to observe color banding: https://pe-images.s3.amazonaws.com/basics/cc/gradients/essentials/gradient-reversed.jpg

October 9th, 2019 21:00

Dell-SreejithR,

To me it doesn't change anything regarding awful gradients, and as far as I understand this steps are more about fixing unnatural colors, which was different issue.

Why don't you just take one of your XPSes and try all the options within your team(s) and provide here working solution? - having that everyone is complaining about this, most probably you should have the same issue whit any new 9570 laptop.

No Events found!