Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

MF

September 2nd, 2018 11:00

XPS 15-9570, not working with Wacom Bamboo Ink

Hello!

Can you please tell me how to solve the problem: I bought a laptop Dell 9570, for work in programs ZBrush and Photoshop, and I wanted to draw directly on the screen of my laptop. I also bought Wacom Bamboo Ink for this. But when I tried to draw, the pen behaves completely inadequately (before, I used to work on a tablet Wacom Intuos, so I have something to compare with). The stylus (or program) does not at all recognize pressure or click on the stylus buttons. Please tell me how to set everything up correctly?

Thanks!

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

September 2nd, 2018 11:00

@Monaco Felice wrote:

Hello!

Can you please tell me how to solve the problem: I bought a laptop Dell 9570, for work in programs ZBrush and Photoshop, and I wanted to draw directly on the screen of my laptop. I also bought Wacom Bamboo Ink for this. But when I tried to draw, the pen behaves completely inadequately (before, I used to work on a tablet Wacom Intuos, so I have something to compare with). The stylus (or program) does not at all recognize pressure or click on the stylus buttons
Please tell me how to set everything up correctly?

Thanks!

Why is this a Dell problem?

September 2nd, 2018 14:00

I do not know whose problem it is - Dell, Windows or Wacom - I just ask to help solve it.

Perhaps this laptop has some special features, so I asked a question on the manufacturer's website. I hope that here I will be able to give the most comprehensive answer.

10 Elder

• 

24.7K Posts

September 2nd, 2018 14:00

The 9570 has a touchscreen - what you're looking for is a digitizing, pressure-sensitive notebook screen.  For that, return the 9570 -- that's not what your system has.

Dell has a 9365 system that has the screen you need -- but finding a pressure-sensitive notebook in a 15" size means either stepping down to an Inspiron (SOME of the 15" Inspirons have these - look for the "pen compatible" icon and logo) but the XPS does not.

September 2nd, 2018 22:00

ejn63 - Thank you very much for your answer!

44 Posts

September 25th, 2018 00:00

@ejn63 wrote:

The 9570 has a touchscreen - what you're looking for is a digitizing, pressure-sensitive notebook screen.  For that, return the 9570 -- that's not what your system has.

Dell has a 9365 system that has the screen you need -- but finding a pressure-sensitive notebook in a 15" size means either stepping down to an Inspiron (SOME of the 15" Inspirons have these - look for the "pen compatible" icon and logo) but the XPS does not.

Apparently Dell used the same screen in 9575 (XPS 15 2 in 1) and 9570. There are videos on Youtube and articles where people confirm the touchscreen on 9570 WORKS perfectly with a pen. It works with the Dell pen, and should work with other compatible pens. So, I suppose, it's just about finding a compatible pen...

44 Posts

September 25th, 2018 04:00

@ejn63 wrote:

There is only one user claiming an active pen works with this model  -- and even there are comments stating that it does not.

The 9570 does not ship with an active digitizer.  You need the 9575 model for that.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dell+xps+9570+pen

Pick any of the many videos that show 9570 WORKS with a pen. 9570's display has an active digitizer with support for Wacom AES pen.

This is not an advertised feature, but it looks like Dell simply put the same display in both 9575 and 9570. Of course, it'll be much easier to use a pen on a 2 in 1 9575 because the screen can fold 360 degrees.

Or you can see the pen in action here in Lisa's review of XPS 15 9570:
https://youtu.be/LEYTzcQJ644?t=240

10 Elder

• 

24.7K Posts

September 25th, 2018 04:00

There is only one user claiming an active pen works with this model  -- and even there are comments stating that it does not.

The 9570 does not ship with an active digitizer.  You need the 9575 model for that.

44 Posts

September 25th, 2018 10:00

Have you even watched the videos?
The above posted video review is from MobileTechReview, a well known and reputable reviewer, and there are dozens of other people who have tried the Dell pen, and it works.

But you know what - it's actually not a big deal that it works, simply because writing on a screen that can't open fully is not very convenient. But if you need it - you can do it!

You can find lots of articles about the 9570 and a pen, and even 9570s sold on Amazon with the pen.
Here's just one article from Windows Central that explains this topic, which recommends Dell active pen over other third party pens:
https://www.windowscentral.com/dell-active-pen-best-stylus-xps-15-9570

10 Elder

• 

24.7K Posts

September 25th, 2018 10:00

It couldn't possibly be someone simply grandstanding for Youtube advertising dollars -- say having swapped a screen?

I would take the videos with a very large grain of salt.

10 Elder

• 

24.7K Posts

September 25th, 2018 13:00

I'll put more faith in the posts here, where people have tried active pens on the XPS 9570 and they've not worked.

Youtube is a wild-west of unsubstantiated claims.  There's plenty of help there - and plenty of useless disinformation.

44 Posts

Mr. Doubting Thomas - you know that there's a world outside of this Dell forum?
Just use Google search and see that there are many posts about 9570 and a pen on different forums, and different articles about it from reputable sources. I just posted one above.

But hey, feel free not to believe anyone and think everyone is fake, if that makes you feel good...

10 Elder

• 

24.7K Posts

Let's just leave it that if it works for some, great.  There's no guarantee that it'll work for all -- since it's not something the manufacturer supports.  Just be careful posting that 'it will work with a pen" -- that's bad advice.  "It MAY work" is just fine -- just don't post as fact what runs contrary to system specifications.  That's all.

44 Posts

September 25th, 2018 14:00

That Windows Central article above explained everything - they suggest Dell active pen because some third party pens might not be compatible.
And also mention there could be issues with drivers, which other people have mentioned as well - some have said it didn't work out of the box, but they changed the drivers and it worked.
Anyway - the hardware, which is the screen supports it. But yeah, Dell doesn't officially support the pen on 9570, and won't provide their customized drivers for it, so because of that "any" pen MAY work.
But the display has an active digitizer, so it's all just about finding a pen and drivers that work.

10 Elder

• 

24.7K Posts

September 26th, 2018 03:00

You're making an unsubstantiated claim again - these systems have touchscreens per spec - NOT tablet screens.

44 Posts

September 26th, 2018 03:00

@ejn63 wrote:

You're making an unsubstantiated claim again - these systems have touchscreens per spec - NOT tablet screens.

Are you a Dell rep that sticks to the spec sheet and doesn't accept anything else but what Dell officially states? 

I agree with you that this is not an official feature and it's not supported by Dell for this laptop. 

But it's a publicly known thing that 9570 has a digitizer screen and works at least with some, if not all AES pen (probably not all, and then there are potential issues with drivers), and it's been proven many times.

But I say again - you don't have to believe it, it's your God given choice. 

No Events found!