Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

4 Posts

February 22nd, 2020 12:00

XPS 15 9570, sluggish, repaste

I'm just going through the similar issues (indeed have been for some time). For some time I have been battling with generally sluggish performance, and occasionally the mouse pointer would judder so pointing to components and generally using the system became unbearable, then all of a sudden, things would clear up, only to return sometime later. I was unable to find the root cause, so have rather haphazardly looked at various items and came across this. 

I have not gone to the extent of stripping of the heat sinks and re-applying thermal paste (as this is a work machine), but I did get so frustrated I ripped out all the Dell software and ended up installing the older Intel Thermal Framework. I can't tell yet if this has made too much of a difference, but the loud fans are back. I suppose I can't have it all (without breaking open the laptop case). However, once the system is up and running, is does seem somewhat better. Only time will tell.

Interestingly, during start up (when you really want the CPU cores to be doing stuff), the clock speed seemed to drop to 800 MHz. In addition, when running the stress test on CPU-z, the clock drops to 800MHz, although Prime95 blended is mainly around 1500MHz. 

4 Posts

February 22nd, 2020 16:00

I wonder if I have just discovered the reason why Dell introduced a new Internal Thermal Framework.

In messing with all these setting I setup a new Windows Power setting. The old one use to hibernate the machine (as I always had an issue with the device sleeping), but in the new one I forgot to set this so the laptop should have simply slept. I just note LED light on the front of the laptop blinking orange/yellow 4 times then white. I came over to wake up the laptop and the fans were off but it was roasting. I actually burnt my finger as it tried to pick it up. The device was still on and when i woke it,  the core and CPU Package temp were showing 99°C!!!!!!

Arggghhh!!!!

Not good. 

• 

25.7K Posts

February 23rd, 2020 08:00

Hi There,

Thank you for the details, one of our previous experts had requested you to email the required screenshots, could you please let us know if you have already sent or about to send them, that would enable us to analyse and conclude the actual parts that would be needed for an engineer visit. 

-Paventhan M

4 Posts

February 23rd, 2020 08:00

Continuing diagnostics, I noted that for some reason the registry setting that I had added (some time ago) to disable Modern Standby had been reset, i.e.:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\CsEnabled = 0

had become:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power\CsEnabled = 1

I guess this was something to do with me setting up a new Power Profile, but TBH, I am not sure. The reason I disabled Modern Standby in the first place was due to the laptop waking itself up randomly, notably when in a laptop bag, so overheating and depleting the battery. Once I disabled Modern Standby (so regained S3 standby), the laptop would at least sleep properly.

I believe this was the issue that caused the massive overheat above, but of course, the laptop should be more than happy in Modern Standby as this is its "designed" mode of operation.  

In addition, I am sorry to report, that even with the Intel(R) Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework driver 8.3 in place, I have still noted a mouse judder. Not great amounts so far, but it is there so these drivers are unlikely to be the resolution I was looking for. Given this I will revert to the latest drivers. In addition, the clock speed during boot (sometimes) seems to get locked at 800MHz, making the boot process very painful. 

As this laptop is under warranty, Dell have reached out an will send out an engineer to at least look at these issues. I hope that they can resolve them, and I guess will reset the heat-sink with new paste. Not sure if the will look at other thermal behaviours or if there are any redesigned parts, but fingers crossed.

I hope that they can resolve other issues to (such as the screen flicker, and poor latency).

I would love them fix the silly position of the camera as well. Given video conferencing is the field I work in, it so embarrassing getting into video conferences with the likes of Microsoft, Google and other fortune 500 companies only for them to see my MASSIVE fingers when I am taking notes, or right up my nose. This is of course, simply a very poor design choice. But this is me digressing.

No Events found!