Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 15th, 2018 19:00

XPS 15-9575 2-in-1, touchpad freezing

I got my new laptop less than a month ago and have been very happy with it. However, I have noticed that there is sometimes a problem with the touchpad.

Occasionally, the touchpad will freeze and the cursor will stop moving. These freezes last from about half a second to many seconds. Now, this isn't a huge problem, but it is pretty annoying when it happens.

Anyone with the same problem or ideas on how to fix this problem?

3 Posts

October 12th, 2018 21:00

Hello, friends, I'm very happy to share this, I found it on reddit, by u/lightbinder, and it has worked for several hours so far.

Make sure that you have the latest Intel graphics drivers and the latest Vega M graphics drivers.

You can get both of them here,

https://www.dell.com/support/home/br/pt/brdhs1/product-support/product/xps-15-9575-2-in-1-laptop/drivers

under the Video category.

Alternatively you can use this process to install the Intel stock drivers.

At this point I'd recommend just sticking with the Dell drivers, as they actually do work.

The critical part is this: go to Advanced Power Settings (from the Control Panel or from Windows Settings) and do the following:

Make sure that Switchable Graphics is set to Maximize Performance while on AC Power

Make sure that Switchable Graphics is set to Force Integrated Graphics while on Battery Power

Please let us know if it works for you all as well.

Cheers, Marco

16 Posts

October 13th, 2018 19:00

I tried this but it didn't work for me. The touchpad still has periods where it will not recognize that my finger is on the touchpad for part of my movement.

5 Posts

October 14th, 2018 00:00

I have a similar issue. Once or twice a day my touchpad completely freezes for about a minute. It's just annoying to know that this will happen. This happens on BIOS, Windows or Linux. So it's very likely hardware or firmware related. I haven't tried downgrading from 1.1.9 yet.

3 Posts

October 16th, 2018 13:00

You're right, the problem returned.

3 Posts

October 17th, 2018 11:00

The part was on a pretty deep back order so they only just replaced it yesterday. So far the issue has gone away after hardware replacement, although I haven't used the laptop very much since the service tech did his thing. He came on site and replaced a piece that included the trackpad, wrist guard, and keyboard. Basically the whole top black piece.

So far so good, I will update if anything comes up.

9 Posts

October 17th, 2018 13:00

@cufflinks thank you for your feedback hopefully it's solved. Because the laptop is a brick for me. In my day life i'm all time busy with computers. And in the evening I want to be creative on my computer. And not solving the problems on my own computer ;( Dell give us a working pc, where creativity have no limit. Or give us our money back, so we can choose somewhere else a computer, that works for creativity and have more (ram,.... ) power than your device. This device is a disaster from the beginning (cooler, noise, ...., Mouse). Sorry that I need to say that because I still respect your company, I work regularly with your company and was all time correct . But after hearing so much people that have the same problem I'm feeling that we left alone in the cold.

16 Posts

October 19th, 2018 15:00

@cufflinks thanks for the response, please keep us posted. If that solves the issue then I will probably try to go the same route, as this is very frustrating.

1 Message

October 20th, 2018 10:00

at first didn't appear this kind of issue. After that I've done a clear Windows installation started to appear. I have done many things I have even made a downgrade of the bios to the 1.1.5 and 1.1.7 from the 1.1.9 but nothing. I've stayed for many days with the 1.1.5 bios version but and then pass again to the last version of the bios and it seems a bit better. it's so frustrating. I'm going to contact the Dell assistance.

5 Posts

October 22nd, 2018 08:00

Hi @cufflinks,

Any update on the touchpad? Dell support is trying to get me to replace the hardware but I don't really want to open it up if it's a software issue, especially since so many people starting experiencing the issues after a BIOS update. Thanks for the help!

1 Message

October 23rd, 2018 12:00

for you with touchpad issues, has the keyboard light stopped working as well? It has for me, and that would point to a HW problem ...

41 Posts

October 23rd, 2018 15:00

The keyboard backlight is ok, to answer the previous reply.

One month later, I've tried the latest Windows 10 release 1809, latest drivers from Dell and Intel, the video settings that were mentioned above and all sorts of power tweaks from the internet. The Intel video driver is still in beta, so there might be so hope left on the next version...

The issue still shows up after the laptop heats up. It seems like left click is stuck and the pointer is moving on its own, or stuck in the bottom-left corner (start menu). Right click is responsive, but then the auto left-clicking will take over and move the pointer in the corner again. All of this on high performance mode, plugged in. Battery mode makes it all worse, random trackpad movement or massive lag and random clicks all over the screen. It won't respond to movement, then after 15-20 seconds it will shoot a lot of random clicks everywhere. It's just unusable. This even happens with the pen, without pressing the trackpad. 

I will get in touch will Dell tomorrow to arrange for a trackpad replacement but seriously doubt it's worth the bother, as there were no replies so far to confirm this solved the issue.

DO NOT BUY THE XPS 15 !

October 24th, 2018 12:00

Yea, I have exactly the same problem than razvi... and still no solution for more than one month. That's crazy.

4 Posts

October 24th, 2018 17:00

I am also having the same problem. Intermittent track pad freezing, along with a faulty microphone that works with Cortana but not Skype, Discord, WeChat etc. 
Connected? 

Dell has asked for the computer to be shipped back to have the microphone replaced but I need it for work at the moment.

This is my first time purchasing a Dell and I really thought with the price tag of the 9575 I would receive a working reliable machine. 

33 Posts

October 25th, 2018 14:00

I am having the same issue. Just reverted to BIOS 1.1.7 and seems to have improved the situation for now.

October 29th, 2018 11:00

bump.

Same issue here as well... all updates applied and only resolve seems to be disabling "Radeon RX Vega M GL Graphics" driver in the Device Manager under "Display adapters". In my mind, this does NOT resolve the issue as this is a much needed driver. 

Dell support? Please acknowledge.

Dell branding w/product support made me think Dell XPS 15 9575 w/4k display, i7, 16GB RAM, Radeon discreet graphics was better choice than competing products from ASUS and HP... starting to rethink this!

No Events found!