Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 25th, 2018 06:00

XPS 15-9575, fan noise, tent mode

After updating the BIOS and setting the maximum processor state to 90% in power management, my new XPS is now pretty much silent in laptop mode. In the tent mode, it's the opposite: The fans start immediately when the display angle exceeds 180 degrees and keep the keyboard reasonably cool. The laptop is great and this is very annoying. It only happens when you move the display through 180 degrees. Fans turns on straight away every time. I have tried both active and passive System Cooling Policy settings in power management, but did not notice any difference between those.

23 Posts

October 25th, 2019 13:00

I can report that the Problem does not occur for me with the latest BIOS 1.7.1 . (I had not tried 1.6.1, so the change might be there, too). I tested with an HD Youtube video in full screen and there are no audible fans in either tent and tablet mode. With the same video running, the fans consistently started with previous BIOS versions (higher than 1.1.7) upon switching to tent/tablet.

As there was some confusion about version numbers recently, let me be clear:

• When I purchased the machine, the problem did not occur up to and including BIOS 1.1.7
  • In the next update after 1.1.7, the problem began and persisted until recently
  • It seems gone now with 1.7.1

I hope this sticks. Took 9 months, but thanks anyway. to Dell

1 Message

September 25th, 2018 14:00

Same kind of problem. If hinge is at an angle greater than 180 degrees the fan comes on. At idle (in this position) the fan is at low speed, but not silent. With a few tabs open in firefox the fan noise is at a significant level.  Flipping the computer below 180 degrees and the fan shuts off completely and stays silent during much harder workloads. If I use it in tablet mode and use onenote the fan goes on and off, fluctuating. Also tried to change cooling profile.

2 Posts

September 28th, 2018 13:00

Same problem with me. As soon as I changed to tent mode the fan goes on even though temperatures are below 50 degree Celsius. Once I put back in normal laptop mode fan shuts off. This started randomly today. I did update the bios to the latest one about 4 days ago.  (1.1.9 )

5 Posts

September 30th, 2018 06:00

I think it must be the new bios. I am currently on the 1.1.9 and switched back to 1.1.5 and solved the problem. Hopefully we can get dell to look into it for us.

2 Posts

September 30th, 2018 09:00

Workaround = I switched the bios back to 1.1.7 and it fixed the problem as well. 

23 Posts

October 12th, 2018 14:00

I just want to add that I have this as well with 1.1.9 BIOS

1 Message

October 15th, 2018 13:00

I also had this problem with bios 1.1.9. Reverting to 1.1.7 seems to have fixed it.

23 Posts

October 15th, 2018 14:00

I don't think that this should be marked as solved as reverting to an older BIOS (and then be stuck with it) is not a solution. There will surely be future issues requiring a BIOS update beyond 1.1.9

4 Operator

• 

9.4K Posts

November 20th, 2018 05:00

Hi wstephen,

Thanks for posting.  Apologies that your system is not performing as expected.

Here is information you may find helpful:

Click the links below for information resolving fan noise on your computer.

Resolving fan noise on a laptop

Fan

If the system is under warranty, please contact me privately. Be sure to include your personal information (name, address, telephone, email) and your computer's service tag number in your message. Thanks.

If there is no warranty, then you could contact our Out of Warranty team to get a quote for a paid service call -http://dell.to/1vnT6CQ

2 Posts

November 20th, 2018 05:00

With BIOS version 1.1.9 and also after updating to 1.2.0. When I use tent mode on my XPS 15-9575, the fans immediately start to make a lot of noise. When I return to my laptop to normal Laptop mode, the fans immediately stop. I've ran all the possible tests for troubleshooting fan problems, but none have seem to help. I've also changed my power settings according to other threads on here, Max processor usage to 90%, passive thermal cooling, but to no avail. Is there anyone with the same issue that came up with a solution?

10 Posts

November 20th, 2018 13:00

On 1.2.0 the issue still persists as well as buggy touchpad. Bottom half not always working and it is somehow related to AMD graphics card driver?

10 Posts

November 20th, 2018 13:00

Same issue. Beginning from 1.1.9 Bios, my fans has got this strange behavior when entering the tent/tablet mode. Fans immediately turn on.

23 Posts

November 24th, 2018 14:00

Other now merged thread about this issue with a Dell community manager responding (but not with a solution yet):

23 Posts

November 24th, 2018 14:00

Hi, this does not seem one of the usual problems that are addressed by the fan noise help page.

I have the same problem on my XPS 15-9575 BIOS 1.1.9 as of now and the fan comes on precisely when the lid is rotated to or above 180 degrees. It stops immediately when rotating it back into laptop mode. This is in no way connected to the temperature, it also happens when the machine was idling and is completely cool. The issue completely negates the whole purpose of buying this machine, as watching videos in tent mode is no fun with the noise going on. When watching the same video in laptop mode the fans are silent but then I could have saved the money and got the XPS 15-9570. Otherwise the machine is fantastic and a joy, but this issue ruins it.

People in now merged thread about the same problem said that it started to happen with BIOS 1.1.9, when reverting to 1.1.5 or 1.1.7 it went away for these people.

5 Posts

November 24th, 2018 21:00

Updated to the new BIOS 1.2 and not only do I have a random problem with the touch pad, the fan noise is back in Tent mode. Only solution I have is to go back to a old BIOS which isn't really a fix.

No Events found!