Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

33 Posts

June 6th, 2021 13:00

XPS 17 9700, button does not turn off anymore

Since some weeks pressing the power button on my XPS 17 does not turn off the laptop anymore.

In the Windows energy settings for "defining what happens when the power button is pressed", the option is not existing anymore!?

Is there anything i can do or is this a known issue since maybe the latest BIOS update (which i recently did)?

powerbutton_option_missing.jpg

3 Posts

August 27th, 2021 08:00

BIOS 1.9.2 fixes the issues for me!

Link to BIOS 1.9.2 - Thanks for confirming! Dell-Admin

50 Posts

June 6th, 2021 13:00

I had the same problem. I downgraded to older BIOS 1.5.0 and problem solved.  During installation of BIO S I got a ME upgrade failed warning but everything appears fine.

• 

25.7K Posts

June 7th, 2021 07:00

We tried reaching you on a private message asking for the XPS 17 9700 Service Tag number to ascertain the warranty but did not receive a response. Please reply to the private message whenever you are available.

1 Message

June 7th, 2021 22:00

I'm baffled - my brand new laptop restarts every time I tell it to shut down. I tell it to shut off, it powers down then immediately starts back.

1 Rookie

• 

33 Posts

June 8th, 2021 12:00

Where did you find the older BIOS version?

1 Message

June 8th, 2021 22:00

Hi,

Exactly the same problem since few days, probably latest BIOS update 1.7.2.

I hope next BIOS update will repair it.

1.8.2 is now available. Test it and post your results. DELL-Cares>

1 Rookie

• 

33 Posts

June 14th, 2021 12:00

BIOS update to 1.8.2 did not solve the issue

1 Message

June 14th, 2021 17:00

still no result pressing power button

1 Rookie

• 

33 Posts

June 19th, 2021 12:00

Why does Dell mark this issue as solved although it is not for me?

Normally the creator of the topic decides when his issue is solved and marks it as solved and not the company that wishes it was solved!

Telling the customers to downgrade to an older BIOS version is NO bugfix but a quick and dirty "workaround" with the potential to destroy more than it helps by flashing the BIOS! My experience with my first Dell Laptop is getting worse and worse.

3 Posts

June 22nd, 2021 05:00

This is not a solution!

The problem persists in both 1.7.2 and 1.8.2 BIOS versions.

Reverting BIOS to 1.6.2 restores power button off function, but this is not a solution.

2 Posts

June 28th, 2021 15:00

Same here.

Both BIOS 1.8.2 and 1.7.2 have this problem.

I reverted to 1.6.3 and now the power button does work again, and also appears again in the Control Panel\Hardware and Sound\Power Options\System Settings

1 Rookie

• 

33 Posts

August 4th, 2021 03:00

I bought an arogantly overpriced piece of Dell Hardware - Laptop and Dell is making it faulty by bad quality control of their software and is too lacy and ignorant to fix it within months or ever?

Besides the worse trackpad ever and the rattling speakes and teh noises coming from the power switching regulators adn and and bad hardware design paired with bad software design and quality control and customer care. No more Dell for me!

1 Message

August 12th, 2021 15:00

I updated my XPS 9700 BIOS to 1.8.2 yesterday and now the power button on the laptop does nothing. Also, the WD19 dock power button does nothing any longer. I had a BIOS that was from earlier this year or late last year and the laptop and dock power buttons worked perfectly turning the laptop on and off. Yesterday I also updated items the support assist indicated were needed. After that the power button options no longer appear in Windows 10 settings. I got them restored only in the advanced setting window by changing a registry value, BUT the choice to shut down the laptop does not work. Please help. One more thing: the WD19 dock is causing an error screen on every boot since I got the dock. I’ve seen many have the issue. The dock does not get hot ever as it’s only powering my laptop and has an hdmi connection to an external monitor. Help please. Can I disable the dock error boot up screen. The dock is working fine as most have also reported. Thanks.

1 Message

August 16th, 2021 21:00

I'll be downgrading the bios until a fix is found. I also have an issue with the computer when it sleeps! I can only hibernate or shutdown to avoid coming back to a machine that has crashed. Started happening after a bios update... go figure.  Thought things would get better not worse as updates were released! 

1 Rookie

• 

33 Posts

August 19th, 2021 15:00

Reminder for DELL! FIX this issue soon?

No Events found!