Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 2nd, 2019 22:00

XPS 7390 vs 9380

I was about to purchase an XPS 9380 laptop with an i7 processor, however I saw that a new xps 2 in 1 was announced with a 10th gen Intel processor. The base speeds were slower from the info that I saw (however any information about the 10th gen processors aren't all accurate since they haven't been tested by consumers yet) but I read a little about how the other things in the processor make up for that. I was looking for a computer with a good processor (i7)  and good speeds. Should I wait for the new 2 in 1, or would the xps 9380 still be better? 

Also I don't really care for the fact of having a 2 in 1, I just am not sure if the new processor will be faster or not. If anyone has any other information, that would be much appreciated!

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

June 3rd, 2019 06:00

If you can, I would ABSOLUTELY wait for the new 10th Generation "Ice Lake" CPUs to arrive in the XPS 13.  Until now, Intel has basically just been slightly tweaking its Core 5th Gen CPU architecture up through Core 9th Gen without any major changes.  The long overdue move to 10-nanometer fabrication that will be coming with the new Ice Lake CPUs is expected to bring significant gains in both performance and battery life, more than we've gotten from one generation to the next recently.  It will also bring Intel's Gen 11 GPU, which will itself be a significant upgrade over previous integrated graphics chipsets, including adding support for DisplayPort 1.4 over USB-C/TB3 rather than just DisplayPort 1.2.  Obviously in the tech world if you always wait for something better, you can end up always waiting rather than actually buying anything, but in this case unless you absolutely need a new laptop before the end of the year, I think this will be worth waiting for.

No Events found!