Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

January 31st, 2018 22:00

XPS 9370 Fan Noise

When sitting idle (not seeing any heavy usage for anything in task manager over 10% anyway), how loud should these fans be? If I'm sitting here not even using it with the power adapter plugged in it seriously sounds like the fans are at full blast sometimes.. Seems like when I unplug the charger it slows down after a few seconds then eventually they turn off. Is this normal? It is kind of annoying for $1700 laptop to make so much noise just sitting idle, but if theres nothing to do about it, it is what it is. Thanks

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

February 20th, 2019 01:00

@xohersheys wrote:

I am also having the same issues with my XPS. The fan is so loud whether it's idle or being used. It's even worst when it's charging. There are brief 5 minutes where it stops, but then it'll pick right back up again :( Please help troubleshoot. Thank you!

@xohersheys there are two distinct issues that have been mentioned on this thread, one being general fan volume can be perceived as being louder than a conventional notebook the other being the fan makes a grinding / growling noise during use that is indicative of a mechanical failure.

If it's simply loud, updating the BIOS to latest revision should improve this as the BIOS has revised thermal tables which optimise thermal performance v's fan noise. If it's making the grinding noise then the fan needs to be replaced.

Can you advise what the exact issue is that you are experiencing with the system fan.

Alan

2 Posts

February 20th, 2019 14:00

@Dell-Alan DI am experiencing the same grinding fan noise when the fans spin up, how do I get replacement fans to replace myself?

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

February 22nd, 2019 02:00

@terb_j wrote:

@Dell-Alan DI am experiencing the same grinding fan noise when the fans spin up, how do I get replacement fans to replace myself?

Hi @terb_j 

If the fan is mechanically failing and updating the BIOS to the latest revision has no affect, a service call is required. I shall drop you a private message to get your tag details and then advise your service call options.

Alan

24 Posts

March 8th, 2019 05:00

I'm having the same issue. It's not that my fan is being used, it seems to come on at appropriate times, but it sounds like grinding or fast clicking. How do I solve this? My machine is just over a year old. It sounds 10 years old.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

March 8th, 2019 06:00

@dingobingo wrote:

I'm having the same issue. It's not that my fan is being used, it seems to come on at appropriate times, but it sounds like grinding or fast clicking. How do I solve this? My machine is just over a year old. It sounds 10 years old.

@dingobingo firstly I would ensure that your BIOS is up to date with the latest revision - https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=g8f38&oscode=wt64a&productcode=xps-13-9370-laptop

If the fan is mechanically failing and making a grinding noise it needs to be replaced. I will drop you a private message to get your tag details from you.

Alan

2 Posts

March 10th, 2019 23:00

I followed the instructions given in below forum and manage to keep my fan running at low speed and thus quietly most of the time now. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings-winpc/runtime-broker-high-cpu-usage/4302a4dd-44c1-474e-8e6a-3c00889c65a7

1 Message

March 19th, 2019 07:00

Add my name to the list. Just received a Dell XPS 13 9370. I am happy with everything about this little powerhouse except for the grinding fan noise. It sounds like the bearings are bad or something; when the fan kicks on at all, it's quite loud.

1 Message

March 20th, 2019 12:00

Hi @Dell-Alan D , my 9370 is also making the grinding fan noise described above. Can you please reach out to initiate service? It’s driving me nuts.

Thanks

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

April 2nd, 2019 07:00

@StivWright wrote:

Hi @Dell-Alan D , my 9370 is also making the grinding fan noise described above. Can you please reach out to initiate service? It’s driving me nuts.

Thanks

@StivWright i've dropped you a private message.

Alan

1 Message

April 4th, 2019 08:00

Same issue here, grinding fan that sounds like it is not balanced properly. Similar to an electric razor. 

I use this laptop for work and I would like to replace the fan myself as it would be a hardship to have to send this off... Please send information on how to resolve this 

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

April 5th, 2019 05:00

@Amphiprion wrote:

Same issue here, grinding fan that sounds like it is not balanced properly. Similar to an electric razor. 

I use this laptop for work and I would like to replace the fan myself as it would be a hardship to have to send this off... Please send information on how to resolve this 

@Amphiprion thanks for getting in touch. I'll drop you a private message to get your tag details.

Alan

3 Posts

April 6th, 2019 07:00

Same issue here, my fan sometimes works fine, other times I get a rapid ticking that does sound exactly like an electric razor. Love the laptop otherwise, it's an excellent machine!

April 7th, 2019 05:00

I have the same problem.  Because I use my laptop so much I've been dealing with it, but it has to be fixed.  The noise is annoying, but the fact is that fan is eventually going to fail.  

Allan, can you hook me up with a fan replacement my friend?  I have all of the original packaging so can get it shipped wherever pretty quickly.

Thx,

Matt

1 Message

April 7th, 2019 20:00

Hi, my XPS 13 9350 just started making fan buzzing noise (electric shaver sound), just as described in other posts above. I'm using this laptop for work so I would rather replace the fan/heatsink myself than be without the laptop while in repair. What would be my best option? The laptop is out of warranty.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

April 9th, 2019 03:00

@JonHooper wrote:

Same issue here, my fan sometimes works fine, other times I get a rapid ticking that does sound exactly like an electric razor. Love the laptop otherwise, it's an excellent machine!

Hi @JonHooper 

The noise you are describing doesn't sound like a grinding or growling noise that is being discussed in the thread.

a) Does the rapid ticking noise change pitch or tone when the fan is under load?
b) Do you hear this ticking noise regardless of whether the system is running on battery only or with the ac adaptor connected?
c) Does updating the BIOS to the latest revision 1.8.1 change the noise at all?  BIOS link here 
d) You mention that the issue is intermittent, how infrequent is it i.e multiple times day, once or twice a day,  afew times a week etc?
e) If you run though the fan tests during the ePSA diagnostics, can you hear this ticking noise during the test? (To run the ePSA diags, hold down the Fn key and power on the system)

Alan

No Events found!