Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 21st, 2019 18:00

XPS 15 9570, fan rattling

Hi,

Suddenly my XPS 15-9570 start doing a rattling noise when fans are on. I don't know if this may depend on fans touching on something? But from one day to another. What can I do?

Thank you!

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

September 22nd, 2019 10:00

If the diagnostic tool doesn't report any error codes, I suggest installing latest Dell Power Manager Service, drivers and firmware onto the system. You could do this by entering service tag number ( or use Detect PC) onto the link below.

Drivers & Downloads | Dell US

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04?app=drivers

After, select Detect Drivers in your Dell Product Support page. The dell utility will analyze the system to find latest Dell Power Manager Service and updates. Please check out the information that might be helpful in the link below.

Undesired fan noises on Inspiron/XPS Notebook/Vostro Notebook/Mobile Precision/Latitude systems

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln309579/undesired-fan-noises-on-inspiron-xps-notebook-vostro-notebook-mobile-precision-latitude-systems?lang=en

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

September 22nd, 2019 10:00

Please run the diagnostic tool to check the fan and hardware inside the computer. You could do this by following the steps below.

1. Power off system.

2. Power on system, quickly start tapping the F12 key continuously until you see Preparing one time boot menu in the top right corner of the screen. In Dell Preboot menu, select Diagnostic. After the quick tests finished, click on Processor Fan and select Thorough Test Mode. If there isn't an error code on the fan, perform a test on the hard drive.  

ePSA Pre-boot System Assessment (Official Dell Tech Support)

https://youtu.be/qeHNSxW7VSM

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

September 23rd, 2019 09:00

If we look at the Service Manual page 39, we see that the XPS 15-9570 has two fans. Without disassembling anything, can you isolate which fan is rattling? You have blown out all of the dust in all vents using compressed air can?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

September 23rd, 2019 08:00

When running the Dell pre-Windows ePSA Diagnostics, what did it say about fans? Did you hear the rattle during the Diagnostics?

The tests were all passed. 

But yes, the computer was rattling. 

Thanks!

I have run all the suggested tests but no error was reported. The pc apparently passed each of them.

I have also installed each latest driver available for my pc, and set the Power Option to "Quite".

However, I still have the noise. 

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

September 23rd, 2019 10:00

"I wanted to avoid opening my computer since I am not an expert."
As I stated earlier, "Without disassembling anything...". So when turned over, F1-F5 buttons would be over the right fan. Is there an external vent to clean out near that fan?

September 23rd, 2019 10:00

The sounds come from the top-left part of the computer (let's say close to F1-F5 buttons).

I wanted to avoid opening my computer since I am not an expert. But I will if there are not other tests or possibility to verify before that. 

September 23rd, 2019 11:00

There is a metal grill where I can spray some air; but I do not know where the dust would get out from. 

Should I spray air anyway?

Community Manager

• 

54.9K Posts

September 23rd, 2019 13:00

Not if it looks clear. This shipped with the "Retail Amazon Mail In Service 1 Year" warranty. So once it is out of Amazon name and in your name ownership using the above transfer form, Dell will need to setup the Return To Depot repair. Before any Return To Depot repair is setup, it is your responsibility to back up all of your existing data, Favorites, Bookmarks, Music, software, and programs to an external USB hard drive. Dell is not responsible for your data.

September 23rd, 2019 16:00

Ok, thank you.

I am waiting for the 7-10 business days necessary for the transfer of ownership, and then I'll let you know.

No Events found!