Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 22nd, 2019 14:00

XPS13 9360 media key control

For a while I've used the media keys (play/pause, back, and forward) with either Spotify or iTunes, whichever was open. But now I'm trying to pause spotify while it's playing music and the buttons instead control a video in my browser. First it was a YouTube video, but when I closed that it instead controlled a lecture recording in some other video player which I didn't even know was possible. It's not until all possible play/pause tabs in Chrome are closed that I'm able to control Spotify with the media buttons again. Any help regarding how to prioritize certain programs over others would be nice. Thanks.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

April 27th, 2019 08:00

Short version: For your specific case, it might be easiest to simply stop Chrome from responding to media keys, which you can do this way (at least as of the date on this guide): https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/stop-chrome-hijacking-media-keys-heres/

Long version: The issue you’re describing can arise with any given key or key combination that has a defined action in multiple applications that are open. I have this problem with Spotify and iTunes running simultaneously, since I keep iTunes always running so my phone can back up to my PC. I don’t know of a way to prioritize which applications receive key press notifications. I believe the application in the foreground might get priority if it’s actually an application that would respond to the key or key combination on question, but if all “eligible” applications are in the background, it might be based on the order in which the applications were launched. There might also be some API in Windows that allows an application to prioritize itself and only certain media applications might be coded to do that — which would then beg the question of what happens if multiple open media applications do that.

please help

Sweet, this is just what I was looking for. Appreciate it!

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

Another possible fix for Chrome found in a Reddit thread:

Type this in your address bar:

"chrome://flags/#hardware-media-key-handling"

Disable this flag.

1 Message

August 12th, 2019 07:00

Didn't worked for me, but remove google music app (changed to spotify) that did the trick.
No Events found!