Start a Conversation

Unsolved

K

2 Intern

• 

359 Posts

September 13th, 2022 06:00

XPS9510 and WD19TB terrible display resolution until unplug and replug displayport

XPS 15 9510

XPS 15 9510

I'm seeing this issue more and more lately.  I'll move the mouse to wake up the XPS15 laptop and turn on 2 Dell 24" monitors.  Sometimes the middle monitor which is the Displayport of a WD19TB dock will show the most horrible display resolution.  Something like 320x240.  If I unplug and plug the Displayport cable back in from the back of the dock, the screen comes back at its normal 1920x1080.

My far-right monitor is USB-C connected through the same dock, giving me 3 screens (laptop + 2 external).  Once in awhile this screen is the horrible 320x240 resolution and i have to reach around the back of the dock and unplug / replug the USB-C cable that goes to that monitor for it to correct.

The displayport monitor does it more, but I've seen this happen to both monitors - though never at the same time.

Dell Command Update claims the system is fully up to date.  Any idea whats going on here?

October 11th, 2022 17:00

I have the same problem! Both on my work laptop and personal laptop when using the dock. It' really starting to drive me crazy. My personal laptop is a XPS 17 7900. Work laptop is a Dell. I hope there is a solution. Frustrating to have two Dell laptops, a dell dock, and dell monitor and they don't just work together. 

457 Posts

October 11th, 2022 23:00

You said Dell Update claims your system is up to date. Does SupportAssist and Windows update claim the same thing? Also, could you please manually check to see if there is a firmware update for your dock (using the Dell website)?

2 Intern

• 

359 Posts

October 12th, 2022 06:00

I dont use support assist.  The less bloatware the better.  I dont need any nagging garbage on the computer.  Dell Command Update is simple, does a quick scan and done.  It already updated the firmware in the dock.  If I manually go to dell's site with the dock's service tag, the latest firmware there is the latest one I already have.

Windows updates are fully up to date with Windows 11 22H2.

Oh and why since upgrading to 22H2 of Windows 11, my dock connected keyboard and mouse don't work until after log in.  Not a problem on the original RTM version of Windows 11 or any version of Windows 10 for that matter.

457 Posts

October 13th, 2022 03:00

Did the horrible resolution issue happen before or after the 22H2 update? I've been advising everyone to stay on Windows 10 till EOL (that's what I'm doing) or if you're on a system that shipped with Windows 11 to wait till 21H2 is EOL.

2 Intern

• 

359 Posts

October 13th, 2022 06:00

It did.  It happened on the RTM version of Windows 11 as well.

22H2 is the first major update, so NOW the operating system should be ready for roll out.  I think we have about 5 people using it, and the rest are the latest Windows 10.

22H2 does have the ability to make folders in start menu like iphone.  Tabbed folders are coming soon, my desktop on the insider channel has it and we've only been asking for tabbed folders for i don't know, close to 20 years now?

The only real issue is the WD19TB / WD19TBS docks dont take user input on a fresh boot until after you log in.  Once logged in, then the dock does more than just video.  The Ethernet port activates, the usb input device activates, in the case of the dock with 3.5mm audio jack, that activates.  Once signed into the domain you can lock your screen and unlock it fine, its just that first boot.

The other issue is not a Dell issue - just you cant pin teams to the taskbar.  If you right click the icon in the taskbar pin to taskbar doesnt exist.  Its just a menu of teams tasks like "available, new chat, settings, sign out, quit".  I'll take that issue over to a Microsoft forum.

The other thing with Windows 11, is that Dell Latitude 5530's randomly reboot less often.  With Windows 10 the Latitude 5530's would just reboot themselves - no BSOD or crash dump, just once you unlock your screen like after coming back from lunch for example, unlock there's your desktop then boom- Dell logo and boot up.  Windows 11 makes this happen maybe once a week instead of multiple times a day.  Our next batch of laptops we specifically chose the 5520's because they don't have that problem, and they will be Windows 10.

Overall I agree, Windows 11 is more bleeding edge, and we will remain for the most part Windows 10 until forced.  We will continue to have a small group of 5 to 15 testers for 11, while 200 other employees can stay on 10.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

October 13th, 2022 08:00

@kjstech wrote:

1. It did.  It happened on the RTM version of Windows 11 as well.

2. 22H2 does have the ability to make folders in start menu like iPhone.  

3. The other issue is not a Dell issue - just you cant pin teams to the taskbar.  If you right click the icon in the taskbar pin to taskbar doesn't exist.  Its just a menu of teams tasks like "available, new chat, settings, sign out, quit".  I'll take that issue over to a Microsoft forum.

4. The other thing with Windows 11, is that Dell Latitude 5530's randomly reboot less often.  

5. Overall I agree, Windows 11 is more bleeding edge, and we will remain for the most part Windows 10 until forced.  We will continue to have a small group of 5 to 15 testers for 11, while 200 other employees can stay on 10.

1. Can you try letting the XPS-15 (9510) only sleep the display (not the whole laptop)?

Right, I don't use SupportAssist either (normally) but I think its still installed on this particular XPS-15 (9520). I have no Dell-branded docks at the moment (I'm using an Anker 8-in-1 Adapter).

2. Yes, it will be nice to get back to how the Windows-10 Start-Menu operated. My Start-Menu is up to 4-Pages at the moment. I will say that living with the current limitations is not as bad as I thought it would be.

3. Interesting. No problem here with Office 2021 Pro Plus. Did you try adding Teams to Start-Menu first?

4. Have you raised this issue with Dell or posted about it in the Latitude laptop forum?

5. Delayed roll-out is common in most businesses. However, I think maybe without the XPS-dock and Latitude problems, the Windows-11 deployment plan would be different.

457 Posts

October 15th, 2022 03:00

I have heard other report on the XPS forums that come W11 the dock problems started to occur (specifically the same problem as you, where input does not work until login). This honestly makes me think that some policy in W11 is causing this issue so it might be worth posting in MS forums?

No Events found!