Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

2 Posts

November 15th, 2018 16:00

limited resolution on 2nd external monitor with 7510

I have a Dell Precision 7510 and I recently purchased two Acer B276UHL 4k monitors, that I would like to use to extend my desktop. The monitor plugged into the HDMI port will run 2560x1440, but the other ports (miniDP and TB) will only support 1920x1080, no matter what I try: different docks, updating the BIOS, updating the video drivers, etc. I have an Intel 530 and NVidia Quadro M1000M. 2560x1440 doesn't even show up as a choice on 2nd monitor in CP. Each monitor plugged into HDMI port achieves the higher resolution, so monitors aren't the issue. Seems like this should work, but even our IT can't figure it out.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

November 15th, 2018 17:00

The HDMI port is probably limited because 4K over HDMI requires HDMI 2.0, and that didn't start showing up on laptops until well after the 7510 launched, so 2560x1440 is all you'll get out of those -- not ideal if the displays are 4K.  For MiniDP, if you're using a basic MiniDP to DP cable, then you should be able to run one of those displays at 4K 60 Hz from that connector.  Same goes for the USB-C/TB3 port if you just use a basic USB-C to DisplayPort cable.  However, you mentioned docks.  What docks are you using, specifically?  The TB16 dock can run dual 4K displays with both displays attached to the dock because unlike a USB-C to DisplayPort cable, it taps into Thunderbolt 3, which gives it access to dual DisplayPort 1.2 channels from the system.  If you're using a USB-C dock though, the best you'll get is a single 4K display at 60 Hz or 2560x1600 at 60 Hz because when regular USB-C is used for video and you're using a dock, it only gets half of the video bandwidth available via a video-only connection and only 25% of the video bandwidth available when using Thunderbolt 3.

Please provide more detail about the specific cables, docks, etc. you're using with these various ports.

November 16th, 2018 08:00

Whichever monitor attached to HDMI port yields 2560x1440.

Whichever monitor attached to the mini-DP or TB ports yields 1920x1080, no matter what cable, dock (tried TB16), adapter (tried DA200), etc. used.  Even if the HDMI port is unused.  I understand that the native capability of these ports is higher, so is their bandwidth being limited by Dell?

4k would be great, but I would be happy if I could even get 2560x1440 on each.

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

November 16th, 2018 12:00

What input are you using on the Acer display when connecting from Mini-DP or TB?  Again, you're not being specific about types of cables, docks, and connection mechanisms.  I was expecting something like:

MiniDP >> MiniDP to DisplayPort cable >> DisplayPort input on display
TB3 >> TB16 dock DisplayPort output >> DisplayPort cable >> DisplayPort input on display
etc.

You're just saying you're attaching the monitor to HDMI, MiniDP, and TB3 ports, without specifying what sorts of cables you're using, and also mentioning the TB16 dock without specifying what display outputs you're using on the TB16.

The DA200 will limit you to 1920x1080 because that's a limitation of the DA200 itself.  That's described in the DA200's documentation.  The DA300 can handle higher resolutions, but even that won't do 4K 60 Hz with that system because that's only possible through the DA300 when the system itself is outputting DisplayPort 1.3 over USB-C, and yours uses DisplayPort 1.2, as do the overwhelming majority of laptops on the market because Intel doesn't currently offer a GPU that supports DisplayPort 1.3 over USB-C.

No Events found!