Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 21st, 2015 09:00

Confused about Xtremio UNMAP

Hi,

I have a VPLEX Metro cluster with two XtremIOs at the two sites providing storage to an ESX farm.

I am aware of the "UNMAP" issue between VPLEX and XtremIO and I know what the workaround is.

Still, I have the following doubt: I'm NOT overallocating XtremIO so I have

1.6TB XtremIO volume and 1.6TB VMware datastore.

This morning I saw the following situation.

used space on VMware datastore= 600GB

used space on XtremIO volume= 1.2TB

I supposed this was caused by the "UNMAP" issue so I created a big thick provisioned eager zeroed VM on the datastore and suddenly the XtremIO used space went down to 600GB.

My question now is: what will happen if I hit 1.6TB of usage on the XtremIO volume (100% usage) but I still have space on the VMware datastore? Will this cause issue to the VMs running on that datastore?

Many thanks.

Matteo

727 Posts

September 23rd, 2015 10:00

Good question.

VMware would still be able to write data because there is free space on the datastore. On the XtremIO side, we would end up overwriting the data for that specific LBA.

FYI - if you are using the VSI plugin for XtremIO, you would be able to see the logical capacity consumed by XtremIO and the VMware capacity consumption in the same vCenter page. VSI plugin is a free plugin that you can download from the EMC Support website. There are a lot of other cool things that you can do from VSI plugin (like automating the space reclamation process on the datastore or a folder that would have helped you in the scenario above).

522 Posts

September 25th, 2015 16:00

Avi - with VSI, is the only way to automate the space reclamation by enabling SSH on the hosts? Is there any alternative to this planned for the future since many customers have SSH disabled on the hosts and I believe ESX has it off by default in many cases.

Thanks

September 28th, 2015 02:00

Hi Avi,

does the VSI work with VPLEX presenting Xtremio LUNs to the hosts? I suppose it doesn't, can you please clarify?

Thanks.

727 Posts

September 30th, 2015 19:00

No, VSI plugin will not work with VPLEX presenting XtremIO LUNs to the host – at this time. This is something that we are discussing internally with the VSI plugin team.

No Events found!