Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

July 28th, 2015 13:00

Deleted data not reflected in Volume/Physical Capacity

Hello guys/gals,

I have a brand new cluster where i created 4 x 256G volumes. I presented these volumes to a vSphere cluster where i created 4 datastores. I then created a 40G VM on each datastore and ran some tests using IOmeter just to generate some workload.

Now i am done with my testing, i deleted my VMs from datastore (Volume Capacity in the GUI did not change, that's understandable).  I then went ahead and deleted the actual datastores from vSphere cluster. Still Volume capacity nor Physical Capacity did not change, they are still displaying the same values as if my datastores were still in place and VMs were up and running.  So next step i went ahead and unmapped volumes from vSphere cluster hoping that would trigger something but nada.

So the question is, does XtremIO run some kind of garbage collection job to actually reflect that data has been deleted from volumes ?  Because there is nothing else on this XtremIO cluster but these 4 volumes.

Thank you

727 Posts

March 15th, 2016 11:00

Sure, let me know if I can help in any way.

By the way, the VSI plugin will also help in ensuring that the UNMAP operations are automatically serialized and not all the UNMAP operations end up running at the same time.

35 Posts

March 16th, 2016 04:00

Avi,

Can you direct me to the documentation on UNMAP command best practices you referenced?

33 Posts

March 17th, 2016 10:00

It is listed in our Host Configuration Guide, which you can find at: https://support.emc.com/docu56210_XtremIO-Host-Configuration-Guide.pdf?language=en_US

Look under the section: Space Reclamation at ESX Level

No Events found!