Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 17th, 2015 13:00

VMware datastores design with XtremIO

Hi ,

We have installed 4 brick XIO recently. With sub 1ms latency and high IOP limits  do I need to re-disgn my Vmware storage?

Here are a couple of design questions I keep battling over:

1.  Are there downside to creating really large datastore for and putting many vms on it? I am thinking of creating 4TB  datastores  in a cluster for most of the vms.

2. On  the flip side would it be feasible create one datastore per vm  so you can use snapshots and get rid of your backup licenses for vmware? We only keep vmware image level backups here for 2 weeks.

3. For SQL severs do you really need separate disks for logs and DB anymore?

4. Anyone sharing ESXi hosts among Vmax and XtremIO? What vmware host configuration settings do you use the one for XIO or Vmax?

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

November 18th, 2015 10:00

2. Datastore per VM - aren't there limits of how many devices can be presented to an ESX host ?

727 Posts

November 21st, 2015 21:00

1. Yes. Here are a few things to consider.

·         SCSI lock attention on datastore. This happens during VM creation/deletion/snapshot type of metadata operations

·         VM Kernel admittance policy w/ shared datastore. This is controlled by the configuration parameter Disk.SchedNumReqOutstanding, which is default to 32. Disk.SchedNumReqOutstanding will take precedent over queue depth setting if the datastore is shared by multiple VMs.

2.  It is always a good idea to separate VM OS/binary backup from SQL DB backups. SQL DB VMDKs should be marked as independent, i.e., not participate in VM snapshot unless you have a tiny database. By the way, you can get rid of the VMware snapshot licensing by using our free VSI plugin and/or AppSync, see a blog post on this topic at

https://itzikr.wordpress.com/2015/07/17/virtual-storage-integrator-6-6-is-almost-here/

3. That’s not necessary anymore w/ XtremIO. See more discussions on SQL on XtremIO best practices paper http://www.emc.com/collateral/white-paper/h14583-wp-best-practice-sql-server-xtremio.pdf

4. If you are using multiple storage arrays with the same ESX server, you should be using the least restrictive settings between the two options. For example, if XtremIO recommends the disk queue depth settings to be set at a very high value compared to the recommended number for VMAX - you should follow the VMAX recommended number for that host. Otherwise you will get very good performance from the XtremIO LUNs, but you will end up hammering the VMAX with a lot of IOs.

35 Posts

November 23rd, 2015 10:00

Thanks Avi! 

No Events found!