Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 22nd, 2011 13:00

Outlook mail profile other applications can access

I have an application that needs access to a mail profile in Windows to email out of the application. We are using Exchange 2007 right now (we will be upgrading later this year to 2010). This profile would also need to be used for Outlook 2010.

I have Windows 2008 R2 servers running vWorkspace 7.2. MR1.

In my old Server 2003/vWorkspace 7.1 environment we used a VBS script that called a PRF.  This script and PRF do not seem to work right in Windows 2008/Office 2010 setup.

Does anyone know the best way to do this?

1 Attachment

16 Posts

August 4th, 2011 17:00

Thank you for your help.  The issue was that VMware Shared Folders was installed on the TS Server keeping the folder locked.  I reinstalled VMware tools with the typical installation and I am now able to log off/delete the profiles and now the Outlook profile is being captured in the metaprofile. 

29 Posts

July 26th, 2011 13:00

Take a look at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179062.aspx and see if you are following the procedures there for Outlook 2010.

16 Posts

July 28th, 2011 12:00

Thanks for the response Terry.  I have used the Customazation tool to create the PRF file.  I am using the /importprf switch when launching Outlook.  That seems to work fine.  I need the mail profile to be available for another application without Outlook being open.  Any ideas?  I think I have Metaprofiles setup to copy out the registry for Windows Messaging System and Office14.  But that doesn't seem to be working right.  My session gets disconnected instead of logged off and I am not sure why.

29 Posts

July 28th, 2011 21:00

Just to verify, the MAPI profile is located at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ Microsoft\Windows Messaging Subsystem and if the application is MAPI-based then persisting this entry is correct. However, the vWorkspace MetaProfile agent only writes profile information back to the storage server at logoff and only when those designated profile entries have CHANGED.  If you are disconnecting, then the profile agent isn't being given the opportunity to save your profile information. Make sure you terminate the application by using the menu EXIT and properly LOGOFF of the session.

Additionally, in the vWorkspace console, ensure that the profile configurations are assigned to the user or group; Ensure the storage server is configured; and verify that the necessary registry keys are configured and assigned.

16 Posts

July 29th, 2011 11:00

Sorry, I was trying to do the reg entry from memory.  But yes.  That is what I have set in the User Profiles.  I am doing a FILE | EXIT off of the Outlook screen.  And although the application closes my session goes disconnected. The only time I actually log off is when I use the Quest Remote Desktop Client.  Going through the web access page all sessions disconnect and then the profile is locked until a reboot.

I have tried this on both Windows Server 2008 and 2008 R2 servers and the behavior is the same. 

228 Posts

July 29th, 2011 12:00

Hi Slklos,

You should find that you are fully logged off when you close the last application for a session. If this is not happening for you when connecting via web access then it is likely there is an application or process that is holding the session open. You may be able to identify this by looking in the vWorkspace Console, and checking the Processes tab of the associated Terminal Server. Look to see what processes are running for the user whose session you are monitoring. You can then add these to the Session Auto-Logoff List to see if this is able to correct the behaviour.

Regards

David

16 Posts

July 29th, 2011 16:00

David,

I forgot to mention, the only process that does close when I exit out of Outlook is the outloo.exe.  All other processes remain running according to the Console processes screen for my user.  Those  12 other processes I have added to the Auto-Logoff List

Shareen

16 Posts

July 29th, 2011 16:00

Hi David,

I have made sure that I am starting off with my user (which is me) with no profile or logged in session on the TS. I log into Web Access, open Outlook 2010 and wait for it to finish loading.  I do a FILE | EXIT then wait until the session is no longer in my Quest Session Status window on my WIndows 7 x64 bit client.  When I go into the TS my session shows as disconnected.  There are still process running in the Quest vWorkspace Console for my session.  I have added all of those onto the Auto-Logoff List.  I logged off the session, and removed the user profile from the TS server and did the above steps again.  Samething.  I really appreciate any insights in this issue.

Thanks,

Shareen

July 29th, 2011 17:00

Shareen,

When adding the files to the Session Auto-logoff list, you don’t need to add all of the executables. Can you try performing the following?

1. Open the vWorkspace Management Console (ensure you have a running session to the Terminal Server)
  2. Expand “vWorkspace_Farm” | “Locations” | “Location1” | “Terminal Servers” and connect to the terminal server
  3. Expand your running session to view the processes
  4. Close Outlook and wait for outloo.exe to close
  5. If the session is still running, right click on each process one at a time and select “End Process” until you discover the process that is preventing your session from closing.
  6. Once you know what specific process is causing the issue, add this file to the Session Auto-Logoff list.

Thanks,

-Roman

No Events found!