Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 3rd, 2011 11:00

Quest MokaFive 3.6 - Run Automated Scripts

Hi,

I'm testing with Quest MokaFive 3.6 and the use of "Run automated scripts" in the MokaFive Creator. I can't find much information about this feature and what you can do with it. What my goal is is to update the image with updates software/tools so engineers who logon again to the network the get the new updated image pushed.

So to update the image I want to automate this by sync or updating it by the automated scripts. I can do this by DOS cmd, xcopy etc but maybe this is possible to have the software local on you MokaFive Creator machine and "upload" it to the image.

Does anyone has experience with this?

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Brian

228 Posts

August 4th, 2011 09:00

Hi Brian,

The MokaFive Creator application provides the method for updating the LivePC to include new applications and/or tools you wish to make part of the image. From what you have described I believe you already have an LivePC image that has been created and made available to the users, let us assume this to be version v1.

If you now return to the MokaFive Creator PC then you can load the LivePC image v1 and add the additional applications or changes you require. When done you shutdown the LivePC and use the option to package/upload the updated LivePC, this becomes v2 then v3 and so on as you continue to make changes.

Once you have packaged and uploaded the new LivePC versions to the MokaFive ImageStore (management console) you can then use the policies to define which version a user, or group of users, should be using. You have the option to make the most recent version the default, using the make current action, or you can provide the latest version to a beta\test user group while the main user population continue to use an earlier tested version.

Using the MokaFive policies you can target a user or group to a particular LivePC version, when the user next connects to the network the MokaFive Player will check for updates and then download and apply any version updates that may be required. This process does not impact the user at all as they can continue to work on their current version LivePC. When the download has completed the updated version will be used the next time the user starts their LivePC.

I hope this helps, let me know if you want to discuss further and I can give you a call

David

3 Posts

August 4th, 2011 11:00

Hi David,

I'm aware of this functionality and I'm also using it. What I'm trying to do is the following:

I have an Image v1 and a folder on the c-drive "software" (C:\Software) which contains firmware (version 1) for certain machines. The software gets updated by a developer and he publish this as version 2. I want that every laptop that has the image with the firmware software version 1 to be updated with version 2 when they log on.

I want to automate the update process of that folder with the creator and publish that new image to the engineers.

What I'm doing now is that I zip the new firmware folder (version 2) and add this to the automated scripts with no action (just a space) so it get unzipped by Quest Guest Tools and put in the folder "C:\MokaFive\GuestServices\autorun\input\1\*.*". After this action I create another action which does XCOPY to the folder C:\Software.

That I publish the new image and set that image as current in the console and the next time they logon the image gets updated.

I'm going to test this with ROBOCOPY so it only updates the new files and see how that goes.

If you have other suggestions for the process I've described let me know.

Regards,

Brian

228 Posts

August 4th, 2011 13:00

Hi Brian,

I am not sure that I fully understand the purpose of using the scripts. Is the firmware update used to patch LivePC image or the physical machine which is hosting the LivePC?

Are you not able to apply the update to the master image using the Creator and then have the users update the LivePC to the next version?

That said, I can see how Robocopy would be more efficient in updating only the required files versus a full copy and replace.

David

No Events found!