Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 19th, 2013 15:00

vWorkspace with Novell eDirectory

Dear all,

Can vWorkspace be proposed and deployed to a Novell eDirectory only environment? I have came across these 2 post http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/virtualization/vworkspace/b/vworkspace-blog/archive/2012/07/19/qwdv-vworkspace-7-6-feature-spotlight-user-profiles-in-novell-environments and http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/virtualization/vworkspace/b/vworkspace-blog/archive/2010/09/28/temporary-client-assignment Both of these discussed about user profile management and virtual desktop assignment for Novell environment. What I'm concerned about is the provisioning of the virtual desktops as I believe part of the process will attempt to join the provisioned desktop into Active Directory. Would this still works if Active Directory is non-existence in a Novell environment? Any other "gotcha" or limitations that you guys had came across in implementing vWorkspace in a pure Novell environment?

Thanks for any advice in advance

Regards,

Cyril

34 Posts

June 26th, 2013 08:00

Hi Cyrill

"Can vWorkspace be proposed and deployed to a Novell eDirectory only environment?"

short answer: no

I did setup vWorkspace 7.6. desktops for Novell Logon.

In my setup the Machines (Hyper-V, vWorksapce broker, Desktops) are all deployed in AD.

The InstantProvisioning Service on the Virtual Desktop needs AD joined Computer Objects. I Recomment InstantProvisioning over Sysprep. For any changes to the Master Template i just boot the Domain Joined Master make changes and do a "slmgr.vbs /rearm" - shutdown - import new template thats all. No sysprep or anything here.

How then provide Novell Logon to Users?

They need to logon to vWorkspace - this can only be done with an AD or local Windows Account (Version 7.6). I use a local Windows Dummy Account on the vWorkspace Broker Machine and prefill  the credentials into the WebAccess Web Site.

I will not use the Windows dummy Account for Desktop Access because this could lead to overtaken Sessions in worst case.

To achieve this:

I disable pncredprov.dll on the Desktops

Setup the Desktops to use RDP Security Layer - this will bring up the Interactive Welcome Screen for Logon.

The actual logon is done by a combination of pgina.org and Novell Client. Pgina provides LDAP Authentication and creates a local Windows User on the Desktop. Novell Client in passthrough mode will do Novell Authentication - seemless for the User.

In this use case we do not need user Profiles. Instead i use a "predefined" Profile for the newly created user. I setup the Computers to reprovision after logout - so its a one way thing.

vWorkspace 8 with the "anonymous" Feature could be useful. I think AD is still needed for Machine Accounts and InstantProvisioning.

best regards

MArkus

July 6th, 2013 01:00

Hi Markus,

Please be aware that with the 8.0 Release we added support for full Multi-Tenancy.

Included in this is LDAP support - I think you may find this works now.

We should be testing locally here with another Customer shortly that has this same issue and I'll let you know in a few weeks.

Cheers,

Dave

28 Posts

July 5th, 2013 07:00

Markus,

Thanks for the advice. Appreciate it!

Regards,

Cyril

28 Posts

July 7th, 2013 14:00

David,

Thanks for sharing. Shall look forward to your testing