Turak
1 Copper

AlienFX causing connected applications to hang

Something in the AlienFX controller is causing applications that connect to it to hang. This includes any game that tries to interface with it, as well as the Alienware Command Center application itself.

I uninstalled the Alienware Command Center software, deleted the folder which includes the AlienFX service, and then reinstalled the command center and the issue went away, but came back the next morning. I've been trying to find any logs to assist in finding the issue. The only thing I've found is an exception from a game after it tried to load for 10 minutes.

Unhandled Exception: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
   at AlienLabs.AlienFX.DeviceDiscovery.Classes.AlienFXDeviceDiscoveryService.changesFound(List`1 newDevicesDetected)
   at AlienLabs.AlienFX.DeviceDiscovery.Classes.AlienFXDeviceDiscoveryService.processDevicesChangedEvent(Boolean startedByPseudoDevice)
   at AlienLabs.AlienFX.DeviceDiscovery.Classes.AlienFXDeviceDiscoveryService.consumeQueue()
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
   at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
   at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
2019-03-30 16:53:04 PROGRAM CRASH OCCURRED!

Has anyone seen this sort of issue before or have any suggestions on how to proceed?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Turak
1 Copper

Re: AlienFX causing connected applications to hang

I followed these instructions on reinstalling the command center software: https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln303405/how-to-remove-and-reinstall-the-alienware-co...

Unfortunately, the installer gets stuck while "removing backup files", and anything connected to AlienFX still hangs.

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Gallium

What exact Alienware model do you have?

What version of Windows?

What version of AW-CC are you trying to clean-install ?

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
Turak
1 Copper

Aurora R7 connected to a Alienware AW3418DW monitor running Windows 10 Pro x64. I've been installing version 4.8.20.0 off of the driver page for my computer. I did get past the installer hanging, but the applications that work with AlienFX, including the control center, still hang.
0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Gallium

Alienware AW3418DW monitor is fine (but only connect it's video cable).

Disconnect any other (advanced or LED-lit ) Alienware peripherals (like the mouse or keyboard) if you also have them.

Uninstall both AW-CC and Control-Center.

Install only AW-CC v4.8.23.0 and see if that works properly with Aurora-R7 .

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-R7-CPU-pump-failed-thread-1/m-p/7272601/hig...

Run that way for a few days.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
Turak
1 Copper

I think I isolated the issue. It seems to be the software for the monitor's AlienFX lights. I realized the last time I installed everything, I forgot the monitor's software until later in the evening and I didn't remember testing after that. A clean reinstall of just the AW-CC v4.8.20.0 was working still this morning, so I installed the monitor's software again. The problem instantly returned. Uninstalling just the monitor software fixed things again.

I have no idea what changed to cause this to be a problem since that combination had been working for over a month since I got the monitor. So I can either live without control over the monitor's lights or figure out what's wrong there.

0 Kudos