Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 10th, 2019 23:00

Area-51 R2, wont boot after BIOS A14 update

Hey, I updated the BIOS of my Alienware Area 51-r2 from A02 to A14. After installing the latest BIOS, the reboot was normal but now the pc freezes on windows login screen. I had the pc for quite a long time and it's the first issue I got, now the only way to succesfully boot windows is through safe mode.

Hope someone can help me

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

February 11th, 2019 05:00

You will have to reinstall from scratch onto a new drive and recover your data from the old drive.

https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-External-Lay-Flat-Docking-EC-DFLT/dp/B00LS5NFQ2/

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 11th, 2019 20:00

@arielalbo1 wrote:

@Tesla1856 

All settings seems the same as they were before. UEFI mode is on, secure boot disabled and Windows boot manager in the first priority. 

Sounds about right to me. Also, SATA-Mode was likely RAID. Not really because it's best, but because Dell thinks it's a bit more "compatible" and that's how they usually shipped them back then.

Switching between RAID and AHCI sometimes requires a fresh Windows install.

Sounds like a corrupt Windows install to me.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/Aurora-R7-M-2-NVMe-bootable-options/td-p/6073037

February 11th, 2019 08:00

Good old Dell bios updates, bricking systems since forever!

February 11th, 2019 12:00

Thanks for the fast reply! If I decide just to lost all my data. Is there any chance I can reinstall windows in the same drive?  Or it is not functional anymore?

@speedstep 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

February 11th, 2019 13:00

@arielalbo1 wrote:

Hey, I updated the BIOS of my Alienware Area 51-r2 from A02 to A14. After installing the latest BIOS, the reboot was normal but now the pc freezes on windows login screen. I had the pc for quite a long time and it's the first issue I got, now the only way to succesfully boot windows is through safe mode.

Hope someone can help me

Check your BIOS options are the same as before ... especially options like UEFI, SATA-Mode, and SecureBoot. Also, be sure "Windows Boot Manager" is listed as Priority #1 (should be your C: drive).

February 11th, 2019 17:00

@Tesla1856 

All settings seems the same as they were before. UEFI mode is on, secure boot disabled and Windows boot manager in the first priority. 

I've been trying different combinations for these settings, but none of works. When changing the UEFI setting to legacy after all the Bios screens the screen turns black and a message in white letters appear saying something like: please boot in a correct drive.

Also there is only one difference in those Bios and loading screens than before. After the screen with the big Alienware logo and the Bios settings it turns black and some white dashes appeared blinking in the left upper corner for one second then (this is new) then the Windows loading circle shows normally, but then the screen turns down making a clicking noise ( the same noise you hear when performing a soft reset) when the screen turn back on the image of the sing in screen is there but I can't see the mouse and everything is frozen.

Hope I explained everything as clear as possible

2 Intern

• 

1.8K Posts

February 11th, 2019 18:00

Bios firmware flashes should take place on a bootable USB drive that u boot into & execute, not take place inside the Windows desktop; the fact u have video & an initial boot screen doesn't suggest the Bios flash went bad, it is either a Bios setting or a Windows issue or both

@ Alienhead logo can u tap F2 or delete, enter the Bios, make sure it is A14, look for setting to 'load factory defaults' & do so, check Sata controller set to AHCI, save & restart. If no joy, repeat & set SATA controller to RAID, retry

There are 'recovery' functions u can attempt for W10, startup diagnosis & repair for example; safe mode; if u have your disk or USB u can boot into it & do the same

If u have a spare HDD u might try an install of Windows onto it as a test

If u have a backup of your OS u can attempt to load it onto a spare HDD or onto the current as a close-to-my-last resort

I'm busy & these come to mind

February 11th, 2019 19:00

@Cass-Ole 

Thank you for your reply. I will try to do that. Will post any update here

February 12th, 2019 16:00

Thank you! everyone for your replies :) following your advices I managed to make my pc work again. Finally I performed a clean Windows install on my ssd and it worked just fine.

Thank u again!! :)

573 Posts

February 13th, 2019 02:00

CAUTION! Do not click malicious & spammy link enclosed above.

No Events found!