Jamemamone
1 Nickel

Re: Aurora-R8, Nvidia Control Panel

how do you find this app in the store? I did a search for nvidia and nothing shows up in the microsoft app store

0 Kudos
Jamemamone
1 Nickel

Hey everyone, I hope you are having a good week.

So I recently got a R8, and there is no Nvidia Control panel

After trying to uninstall and reinstall all the drivers a bunch of times, a long with Geforce Experience. I have had no luck.

I actually called Nvidia directly today, and they told me they are aware of this issue, and it just isn't specifically a Dell issue (Which I thought it was)

They told me the control panel has disappeared for people without Dell computers after installing a recent update, it's not just a problem that new computers have.

He said "soon" in a Nvidia driver update, it will fix this issue and install the control panel again.

Does it sound like he is being truthful?  Is this problem something that can be fixed the way he described? Or do you think something is just going on with some of the new R8's?

Thanks in advance for your time and help

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

@Jamemamone wrote:

1. So I recently got a (Aurora) R8, and there is no Nvidia Control panel

2. Does it sound like he is being truthful?  

1. What Nvidia card is installed?

2. Who knows.

You could try installing this driver (this way). I know it has a Nvidia Control Panel on Windows v1803 (yes, I keep my machines on the slow/business ring) .

If you have a newer RTX card, try a clean-install of proper driver, but from a month-or-so ago. Do it this way also.

https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-Desktops/My-Aurora-R6-The-Adventure-Continues/m-p/6224677/h...

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
amstel78
2 Iron

@Jamemamone wrote:

Hey everyone, I hope you are having a good week.

So I recently got a R8, and there is no Nvidia Control panel

After trying to uninstall and reinstall all the drivers a bunch of times, a long with Geforce Experience. I have had no luck.

I actually called Nvidia directly today, and they told me they are aware of this issue, and it just isn't specifically a Dell issue (Which I thought it was)

They told me the control panel has disappeared for people without Dell computers after installing a recent update, it's not just a problem that new computers have.

He said "soon" in a Nvidia driver update, it will fix this issue and install the control panel again.

Does it sound like he is being truthful?  Is this problem something that can be fixed the way he described? Or do you think something is just going on with some of the new R8's?

Thanks in advance for your time and help

Download DDU (graphics card driver uninstaller).  Boot into safe mode and run it.

Don't select clean and reboot.  Instead, select clean and stay logged into Windows (safe mode).

Install the latest Nvidia drivers directly from Nvidia.  It will install all drivers but will end in an error saying telemetry module not installed (failed).  Don't worry about that; you don't need it anyway.  The telemetry module only saves information which is sent to Nvidia as part of their ongoing QC program.

Reboot into normal Windows mode.  You should now have the latest drivers installed with a functional control panel.

0 Kudos
Jamemamone
1 Nickel

Hey Tesla and Amstel,

Thanks for the replys, I really appreciate it.

For my graphics card, I chose the 2080 Ti

I had the chance to try what you suggested earlier Tesla, I downloaded that older driver from that link and when I try to install it, I get the error message: "The standard nividaia graphics driver is not compatible with this version of windows."  And that actually happens with every driver I try to download that way, unless i pick "DCH" version, is there a way to download that driver you suggested but a DCH version? I looked but can't find it.

I am planning on trying what Amstel suggested today and I have one question about that please:

Where is the safest/best place to download DDU (graphics card driver uninstaller).?

Also, I'm having a new problem now! (No suprise I guess) Like I said, I have uninstalled and installed drivers a bunch of times, and this error didn't happen until recently, and I know it's not a concoindence:

But now, in the Ailenware command center...When I opened it my graphics card wasn't even there anymore. Then I retarted the computer and it was there! But none of my profiles are there under fusion anymore, and I get a error message saying "Can not load profiles, connect to the internet and try again/click download profiles" (I am already connected to the internet) And when I click "download profiles" the same message happens again.

Not only that, I am not able attempt to overclock/ to create a new profile either in "Fusion" section of the command center. with the cpu, graphics card or memory now....Any ideas? Do i need to uninstall and reinstall alien command center now? if so, are these the best instructions to do so?

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln303405/how-to-remove-and-reinstall-the-alienware-co...

Thanks again guys

0 Kudos
Jamemamone
1 Nickel

Also @ AMstel, to be clear
In safe mode run DDU (graphics card driver uninstaller) and uninstall all of the nvidida drivers? or just 1? if so, which ones?
also while still in safe mode go to nvidia website and download the latest driver?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Tesla1856
6 Thallium

@Jamemamone wrote:

For my graphics card, I chose the 2080 Ti

I had the chance to try what you suggested earlier Tesla, I downloaded that older driver from that link and when I try to install it, I get the error message: "The standard nividaia graphics driver is not compatible with this version of windows." 

Correct. For a (newer model) GTX-2080-Ti card, you have to use a driver like this:

https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/141906

But I suggest you use my same install-steps from that post.

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Like many of you, I can appreciate a good game-engine.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
0 Kudos
amstel78
2 Iron

1. @Jamemamone wrote:

Also @ AMstel, to be clear
    In safe mode run DDU (graphics card driver uninstaller) and uninstall all of the nvidida drivers? or just 1? if so, which ones?
    also while still in safe mode go to nvidia website and download the latest driver?

Thank you

Apologies ahead of time for any typos as I'm responding on my phone.

You can actually run DDU from standard Windows environment, but it's recommended to run it in safe mode to ensure that all files are cleanly removed. 

When you run it, you need to select Nvidia. It will actually give you 3 options; Nvidia, AMD, and Intel. Selecting Nvidia will remove ALL Nvidia drivers. This effectively gives you a clean slate to work from.

I actually suggest downloading the latest Nvidia driver pack and keeping it on your desktop before booting into safe mode. That way you have it ready in case safe mode doesn't load your network drivers.

Also, by doing the DDU cleanup first, you can install the regular drivers without running into that error that says this driver cannot be installed on this system due to incompatibility. I too ran into that the first time, but DDU and installing in safe mode worked.

If you follow the above, you should have a clean install of the latest Nvidia drivers minus the telemetry module, including a functional Nvidia control panel.

0 Kudos
amstel78
2 Iron

Also, don't know if there's something with the GeForce game ready drivers versus what's included in the standard drive pack that uses so much ram, but I was able to free up almost a gig of compressed memory that usually gets loaded at boot.

At idle, it was usually about 5.7gb out of 16gb used. Now it's down to about 4.8gb in RAM. 

0 Kudos
Jamemamone
1 Nickel

I apologize for the delay, I am finally ready to give it a shot.

I didn't have DDU in my computer, and was (And still am) looking for the best/safest place to download it.

From what I found, it is Wagnardsoft the website to do it from? They made it?

Also, if so, any specific version should I get? Or just the latest one.

Also, I only get that " driver cannot be installed on this system due to incompatibility" error when I install the "Standard" mode of the driver, but when I install the "DCH" version it doesn't give me a error and it lets me install it (I'm talking about in general, I have not tried what you suggested first in safe mode) And how I came to discover this is because when I was on the phone with Nvidia tech support earlier in the week, they told me to try that one, i have no idea what the differences are between dch and standard.  But this makes me ask:

I am planning on doing what you said with DDU installer in safe mode, then installing in safe mode the latest version of driver for my 2080 ti graphics card , which is 419.17.  But should I try it with the Standard or DCH version?

One more thing (For now) Smiley Happy

In your last post, did you mean that the Drivers you install from the Geforce Experience itself took up more ram? Or just  manually downloading them from the site? (Assuming from the Gefore Experience but I just was curious) Not that I have a option to do that now anyway once I'm in safe mode.

Thanks again for all of your help amstel78

0 Kudos