Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

March 14th, 2017 19:00

Alienware Aurora R6 clicking noise

So I've looked it up for a bit but I can't find anything definitive on the matter. I'm pretty sure it's coming from the PSU but it doesn't look like anything is colliding with the fan. I'm not sure what it could be.

[View:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPi2P8DspOo:550:0]

Here's a video of the problem. I'm kind of sure it's not a HDD problem but you never know. Anyone have an idea of what it is? It's brand new.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

November 15th, 2017 06:00

Hello Alienware Community,

As you can all see from this thread, we have had several reported issues regarding clicking, loud pitch, rattling or mechanical type noises on the Alienware Aurora R5/R6 desktop systems. I have seen many of you request assistance by posting on this thread and this thread has become so big that it is a little hard for us to track all of the messages. For all of the ones that have requested assistance and have not been able to PM me or I have not replied to you yet, please create a new thread explaining your issue as detailed as possible. By creating a new thread, me or  will be able to see a lot faster and help you resolve the problem. We appreciate your cooperation.

March 14th, 2017 22:00

I've had both an R5 & R6 with the 850W liquid cooled setup and both made similar noises. I'll classify your noise as closer to a "rattle" by my speakers & ears, while my noise was a bit more of a higher pitched tick-tick-tick (like the end of a tie-wrap JUST SLIGHTLY hitting a fan blade or such).

I agree that it also seemed to come from the PSU itself, and also could not find anything obvious causing trouble.

For me, I could put the R6 case on its side (power button to the right, PSU on "top") and the noise in the R6 went away. I didn't test this with the R5 as it was only in my possession for a short time and I didn't experiment with this.

In my new R6, I never worked hard to find the problem as I've replaced the OEM PSU with a 3rd party 80 Plus Certified already. The noise has indeed gone away, but yea, this isn't necessarily unique to you I'd say.

I was going for the better-efficiency/lower-heat/less-fan-noise thing, so I really didn't put any effort into this particular issue. Good luck figuring it out!

FYI, the R5 I tested was from November, R6 from early March in case it helps with anything...

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 14th, 2017 23:00

Sorry, but your gonna have to open it up and isolate the noise better than that. It could be anything from a vibrating case part, to a fan, fan bearing, etc.

My Aurora-R6 came with the optional 850w Power-Supply. Even at idle, I hear fans ... lots of fans.

Edited

1 Message

April 25th, 2017 04:00

I'm also experiencing the same "clicking" sound on my brand new Aurora R6. I've isolated the noise to the power supply.

Hope this information helps.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 25th, 2017 11:00

Additional info after two months of ownership:

It does not make really that noise. However, with the cover off and my ear up to the main Power-Supply fan ... well, I've certainly heard quieter fans. It seems to sound better at higher speeds? 

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

April 26th, 2017 08:00

Hi, 

For the ones experiencing a noise or clicking problem with their Aurora R6, please send me a PM with your Service Tag so we can look into repair options. To send a PM, hover your mouse to my username and select the "Message" option.

8 Posts

April 27th, 2017 10:00

I'm experiencing the same issue with a brand new R6. I don't see an option to PM you when I hover over your username. Please advise!

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

April 27th, 2017 11:00

Click his name then Click the right side Action to Send a Message.

8 Posts

April 27th, 2017 12:00

Unfortunately that doesn't work either ... don't see any messaging option in the right drop-down menu after clicking his name.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

April 27th, 2017 15:00

Hi,

Please try it again, it should be showing up now. 

2 Posts

May 12th, 2017 18:00

Hi Rodrigo, I'm also having this clicking noise PSU problem with my Aurora R6. How can I contact you? as the PM option is not working for me.

Thanks.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 13th, 2017 09:00

My Aurora-R6 developed a problem like this after a few months of use. The power supply's main-large fan was making a "rattling noise" at certain speeds. It might have also not been spinning properly sometimes.

Dell offered to have a technician come install a new Power Supply, but I chose instead to have a new 850w Power-Supply ( DPN: N1WJD ) dispatched to me, and I self-installed it. This new one is manufactured by Delta.

N1WJD  -  PWR SPLY, 850W, EPA, BRONZE, DELTA

It is working perfectly so far (not a single "rattling sound" from it's fan). It also passes several days of stress-tests and gaming. You just connect the plugs to the same modular sockets as old one.

Once you remove the Power-Supply, only then can you see the large wattage/manufacturer sticker (because it's on the side on the PS, pressed up-against the bracket). The old one was definitely a different 850watt Huntkey-made model, with a different DPN (Dell Part Number).

May 14th, 2017 06:00

Yeah, mine just started having a loud rattling noise when I try to play a game. Just got my R6 a week ago. pretty frustrating. started a Diagnostic test with dell and it failed the surface test for my NVIDIA GTX 1080TI. I don't know if they are related but the sound is coming from the power supply area. Any suggestions? 

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

May 14th, 2017 22:00

Nachtwandler wrote:

1. Yeah, mine just started having a loud rattling noise when I try to play a game.

2. Just got my R6 a week ago. pretty frustrating.

3. started a Diagnostic test with dell and it failed the surface test for my NVIDIA GTX 1080TI. I don't know if they are related but

4. the sound is coming from the power supply area. Any suggestions? 

1. Did you get a 460w or 850w PS? Either way, I'll bet it's a Huntkey-made model. It seems fans in those have poor-quality bearings. Request a new Delta-made model this time.

GJXN1 - PWR SPLY,MT,460W,APFC,DELTA

J98H5 -  PWR SPLY,MT,460W,EPA,BRZ,DELTA

N1WJD - PWR SPLY,850W,EPA,BRZ,DELTA 

2. You can return it, but if that is the only problem ... a new Delta-made PS should fix it up.

3. That is unrelated. That's just a long-standing bug in that testing-software. Nothing to worry about.

4. Sounds like a bad fan. See my posts above. Send a PM to Alienware-Rodrigo‌ like he requested, and he will get it taken care of for you.

May 15th, 2017 05:00

So is it the power supply or the fan? 

No Events found!