Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

11 Posts

May 11th, 2020 16:00

17 R2, weird liquid inside

Hello,

I have a alienware 17 r2 and today i  found a weird dried up liquid inside, quite sticky like dried Coca-Cola, after i open the bottom case. The liquid has  dripped all the way down to the bottom case. The case also has a weird bump or dent on it where the liquid had spilled. Could it be the liquid from the heatsink pipes bursting? I would think it would evaporate though but i can't think of what else it could be.

IMG_20200512_005400.jpg

IMG_20200512_005007.jpg

5 Practitioner

• 

1.5K Posts

May 11th, 2020 17:00

I had always thought they were hollow too but I had a quick look online and they (at least some) seem to have a liquid inside that turns into a vapor when heated, are cooled back down to a liquid, return back to the heat source and then the cycle goes on and on. This is for laptop copper heat pipes as well.  

9 Legend

• 

12.2K Posts

May 11th, 2020 17:00

Heatsink pipes are not liquid filled, They are hollow in a laptop. That sounds more like the LCD display is leaking. Remember that is a Liquid Crystal display. If the system is under warranty I would contact support as the display will have to be changed. Have a look at this forum post and this web page.

January 23rd, 2021 14:00

This is way too far from the screen to be an lcd issue

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

January 24th, 2021 21:00

Clean it up and then try a stress test on it and then see if it leaks again. it can't be the LCD as that would cause issues you literally see, if it leaks from the same area disassemble and then see which part of the heatsink is causing it.

January 24th, 2021 22:00

There is no more liquid coming out I think that was all of it, just worried if there gonna be some serious performance drop or some frying going on

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

January 25th, 2021 06:00

You should try to clean it up at least and find out where it originally came from. But If you don't mind, What's your battery capacity? If its progressively getting lower than it battery fluid leaking but that would've killed the computer by now.

January 25th, 2021 07:00

the battery is still working fine, haven't noticed any major drop. But I mostly use it plugged in. I also have standard charge in BIOS and desktop battery charge on windows. The liquid was already dry when I found it, I tried to remove as much as I could but it was quite sticky. It hasn't leaked since. But now that you mention it, it is closer to the battery than the heatsink.

5 Practitioner

• 

3.1K Posts

January 25th, 2021 08:00

I don't wanna make you panic but if you could, try cleaning some of the dust out as if it was battery fluid it might try up after it leaks into the dust.

January 25th, 2021 15:00

Cables can make liquid. I mean i did my best to clean it but it's not 100% off

7 Technologist

• 

6.1K Posts

January 25th, 2021 15:00

Hi @alienware17r2dude  looking at the image in your starting post, it says DC-IN and BATT. The sticky substance has white powder at its termination, which suggests corrosion residue. Carefully removing corrosion residue was a good move. As this sticky substance did not come from the battery, perhaps it came from the dc-in socket cable assembly due to shorting fault, etc. Worth another look? 

7 Technologist

• 

6.1K Posts

January 25th, 2021 16:00

Many compounds turn to liquid when placed in an electric arc. Not saying that this happened in your system. Just saying it is good to care for system and it will last longer, but you know that. You always have the option to ignore another user's observation. 

January 25th, 2021 16:00

Also, i didn't notice any powder, might be the flash making it look like that

No Events found!