Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

W

October 17th, 2007 16:00

Setting up AX150 for the first time

I have been tasked with setting up a Dell / EMC AX150 San for the first time.  Unfortunately whoever had all the tools before me lost the docs on how to set it up.

I'm going to assume that you can assign a IP to the network port on the back?  Correct?  How can I connect to the SAN to set up those settings?

I installed the tools to configure the SAN, and set the 1 NIC in the server to a private range of 172.16.1.x 255.255.255.0

When I run the tools to configure the SAN on the server through iSCSI, the SAN isn't being detected.

Any help provided would be appreciated! :smileyhappy:

156 Posts

October 17th, 2007 18:00

At the top of the Dell | EMC forum is a post called "AX100 - AX 150 Powerlink Site", in it is a link to Dell's AX150 support site, you will want to go to that site and register the serial number on the AX150i, make sure you get the right number it will start with FCNPR0......anyother number is not the right serial number for this registration.  For detailed instructions to setuping the AX150i, you will want to click on the "Install" link, then there will be 2 links, the first one "Plan" has supported configurations and a worksheet to plan out your configuration.  The second link, "Install" will present a wizard to create detailed instructions for the type of installation you are performing. 

9.3K Posts

October 17th, 2007 19:00

To set the IPs for the array, the management ports need to be plugged into a network where the server (or any system that you're going to use for setting up the AX150i) can connect to. The iSCSI ports don't need to be plugged in yet at this point (if they are it shouldn't make a difference).

If you're in the US, you're entitled to at least a remote installation where a technician will do/go over the install with you. This isn't an ad-hoc service, but I've used this service before and it can usually be scheduled within a few days. You'd want to call support and inform about the remote install option.

October 17th, 2007 19:00

When connecting to the array via the management port, is this done via http?  And done based on unc name?  IP?

What is the default IP to connect to?

156 Posts

October 18th, 2007 13:00

You will need to download the Storage System Initialization software from the link I provided earlier.  The instructions detail how to set the IP address, it uses a UDP broadcast to find the array, once the Initialization software finds the array, you can set the IP Address.  Once the system reboots, you will be able to connect to the management software through a web browswer http://IP_address using either SPA or SPB's management IP Address you just configured.

October 18th, 2007 15:00

Is there a way to reset the AX150 back to the original defaults?  I'm told that it had been 'configured' at one point, but that user has forgotten the IP address for the management port.

We're hoping there's a way to reset it back to the default settings. 

And what would the default IP be for the management port once that is reset (if possible)??

Thanks!

156 Posts

October 18th, 2007 15:00

There is no easy way to reset back to factory settings.
If you don't know the IP Address, shut down the storage system, press and hold the power button for one second longer after the system powers on.  This will clear the security on the system.  You will then be able to run the initialization tool mentioned in the previous posts.  This will allow you to set the IP Address to anything you want.  It will not matter what the current IP address is set to, the initialization wizard will be able to communicate with the storage system, so long as it is run on a system on the same physical subnet as the storage system.

October 18th, 2007 16:00

So, if I hold down the power button for 1 second after the power restarts, it seems to work and the SAN restarts

The problem is in the discovery.  We have our internal NIC set to 172.16.1.10 and a subnet of 255.255.255.0  gateway, don't recall.

The cable is plugged into the network port on the SAN, and when I try to discover the device, it never finds it......

If I try to plug the network cable directly from the server to the admin port, I don't get a link light, no connection indicator on the server.......

156 Posts

October 18th, 2007 19:00

Ok, you may need to call tech support for a faster resolution. 
You can try this first.
1.  Verify that you are plugging your host's NIC and each SP's management port into the same switch or hub - no router.
2. Verify you are plugging in the management ports and not any other RJ-45 port on the SP.
3.  Verify that both SPs are booted.  look at the boot/fault LED on each SP.
      The boot process starts at 1/4 Hz, then 1 Hz, then 4 Hz, then off.  When the boot/fault LED is off the SP has booted into FLARE (o/s)
You can also try using this troubleshooting tree on the Dell | EMC AX150 support site.

No Events found!