Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

6 Posts

July 12th, 2020 08:00

G5 5090 fan replacements

I'm looking to get my G5 5090 desktop a little cooler and quieter. I'm looking at the "Noctua NF-A8 PWM 4 pin 80mm" for a rear exhaust replacement. Does anyone know if this is compatible with the motherboard? If not does anyone have any suggestions on a rear exhaust fan or additional fan placements? I know the G5 build is super tight and doesn't give a lot of room for addition.

798 Posts

July 12th, 2020 08:00

Try it, didn't see it mentioned yet. 

But the 92mm equivalent would be a better performer, especially since that fan is the most important fan for case airflow.

Good luck and post some pics if you find a good solution and list any fans that work with that fan header without throwing a startup error or act strangely.

You should also add a front upper intake fan in this case as well.

First read at this post:

Some suggestions are there.

Summary:

Rear exhaust 92mm: Noctua NF-A9 FLX direct to PSU, LNA to 1050 RPM
Upper front Intake 120mm:  Noctua NF-SA12 PWM direct to PSU. LNA to 900 RPM
Lower front intake 80mm:  OEM rear fan to Chassis fan header (so no startup error)

Using this SATA fan adapter shown on the post to connect fans to the PSU to bypass AWCC and the fan header in question.

798 Posts

July 12th, 2020 09:00

The 4th pin on the PWM fan modulates fan speed from the motherboard.

Since you are fixing the speed of the fan by connecting to the PSU, the 3 pin is fine.

I would try to connect that FLX 3 pin fan to the chassis fan header and see if you get a startup error.  If it works it will run at full speed.  Just use the LNA that comes with the fan to reduce the speed to where you want it.

Let us know how it works out.   

If you get the error then connect it to the PSU using one of the legs of the SATA adapter and run it fixed speed and use the OEM fan for the front upper or lower intake position to avoid the fan error.

• 

25.7K Posts

We have responded to your query via Private Message. Please check the private message and respond. 

6 Posts

@HanoverB Thank you for the suggestions. Is it going to matter that the Noctua NF-A9 FLX is only a 3 pin? Sorry I'm new to the specifics of computers. thanks

798 Posts

July 12th, 2020 10:00

@Adamal85 

If you are not having any issues with case temps, CPU temps or GPU temps and just want to quiet the rear fan,  just do what did @Noorss on his post

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron-Desktops/Inspiron-G5-5090-CPU-cooler/m-p/7646097/highlight/true#M21535

Get the NF A9 PWM 4 pin fan and connect it to the three pin side of the Y adapter that comes with the fan.  The OEM fan is on the 4 pin side and the motherboard will see that and not report a fan error.  Put the OEM fan up front. 

The Noctua fan speed will not show and it will vary with case temps but it should work fine and he is reporting decent temps with that setup.   Easy mod and adding that Noctua fan's 0.1A amperage along with the stock fan on the chassis fan header should be fine.

2 Posts

October 27th, 2020 08:00

Thanks for the link to the adapter - I did not know this existed.

May 25th, 2021 10:00

Did you ever find out if you can connect a third fan directly to the motherboard or PSU?  I'd like to move the stock case fan to the front but don't know where to connect it to.

1 Message

June 6th, 2021 18:00

Hello HanoverB,

QUOTE FROM YOUR INSTRUCTION:  "Get the NF A9 PWM 4 pin fan and connect it to the three pin side of the Y adapter that comes with the fan.  The OEM fan is on the 4 pin side and the motherboard will see that and not report a fan error.  Put the OEM fan up front."

I have followed your instructions, both OEM fan and the Noctua fan work together fine and no boot up error as well, except the OEM fan seemed running at much higher speed than usual continously. I rebooted the Windows twice and the OEM fan still spinned at much higher speed and it's not usual. Does this sound normal ?

And i later tried plugged in the "Low noise adapter" cable to the Noctua fan side of connection, then the Noctua would no longer be turned on. After that during Windows reboot, the Noctua fan briefly spinned up for one second then stopped completely. Do you have an idea what happeded ?

I saw Noctua's site's FAQ here: https://noctua.at/en/my-noctua-pwm-fan-starts-to-spin-when-the-pc-boots-but-then-stops-what-is-wrong-

Not sure if this is same thing like my situation ?

Thanks

Larry

3 Posts

June 9th, 2021 19:00

I have installed at Noctua NH-U9S (which has 4 pin header).  On power on it always goes through the pre boot performance check, and fails "Fan - (The Processor Fan) Failed to respond correctly".

The fan spins up fine, (as does the noctua case fan I got NF-a9), I used the silencing cable not he NH-U9S as well.

Is there any way to stop the pre boot performance check?

No Events found!