Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

O

April 19th, 2018 15:00

Inspiron 5675 microphone not working on front audio jack?

I have my Inspiron 5675 for a few months and I was using a Corsair wireless headset the main time. Was trying to use a smaller headphone from my phone, the headphone works just fine but it doesn't pick up microphone at all. When the MaxxAduio ask what I plugged in, I tried headphone and headset. For headphone, mic doesn't work headphone works, for headset, you can hear yourself through the headphone, but PC doesn't pick the signal. I was wondering if anyone experience similar problem I have here? Any fix? I'v tried headphone from Android and iPhone, nether works.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

April 20th, 2018 03:00

The Dell manual doesn't detail what type of front panel jack is on this model.  Could be a standard stereo jack (TRS) or it could be a newer combo "TRRS" like is on an iPhone.  If you are using a headset/mic combo like what is used on an iPhone, which is the "TRRS" type but the jack is the older stereo (TRS) type that could be the issue.

4 Posts

April 20th, 2018 08:00

Thanks, I understand the iphone headphone has different configuration on the plug, so I'v tried another one which is pretty sure it's TRS, but neither one works.

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 20th, 2018 09:00

@owenxguowrote:

I have my Inspiron 5675 for a few months 

- trying to use a smaller headphone from my phone,

- When the MaxxAudio ask what I plugged in

Also, see this:

https://www.dell.com/community/Inspiron-Desktops/Weird-front-audio-jack-problem-with-my-Inspiron-5675/m-p/5848313#M1992

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

April 20th, 2018 09:00

The PDF manual I saw said

- "Headset port Connect headphones or a headset (headphone and microphone combo). "

To me, this makes since because the pic shows only ONE 1/8 inch jack on the front.

I guess that makes it a TRRS. I know the plug should have 4 metal bands (like one for a cell-phone).

If you want to use (or test) a standard analog stereo (only 3 metal bands and no mic) ... you will have to connect it to the speaker jack on the back (usually green). 

I think they also make adapters and USB-Sound-Card-Dongles are under $10. 

Anyway, once we are all sure you are using the right kind of headset in the right jack ... if it's still not working, we can chat more. 

4 Posts

April 20th, 2018 10:00

I'll go find another headphone not from phones and try again.

4 Posts

April 20th, 2018 10:00

Yes before I post this I googled and saw that, I think  it's different situation, my issue is I can hear but can't talk through the inline mic on the headphone.

No Events found!