Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 4th, 2015 14:00

Isilon OneFS 7.2.0.2 unable to join domain

Hi Admins,

Am trying to join my isilon OneFS 7.2.0.2. I was able to join the same with 7.0 version but not with 7.2. What could be causing this. I have rebooted the entire cluster multiple times and the same issue persists. Is this a bug with 7.2.0.2 release ?? To be noted, am able to ping the Domain server from this cluster and vice-versa.

I even tried to join the cluster to AD using CLI but had no luck.

Please help with any steps.

Thanks !

Your Active Directory provider was not created

Error #1: Failed to get DC for 'XYZ.COM': NERR_DCNotFound

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

July 4th, 2015 21:00

communication to DNS server ok, time on the cluster ok ?

July 5th, 2015 01:00

I noticed the NTP was not configured earlier. But I have configured a NTP server now and both the cluster nodes are in Sync and also the WINDOWS DOMAIN CONTROLLER is in sync with the time server.

isiprnd01-1# isi_for_array -s date

isiprnd01-1: Sun Jul  5 11:13:52 AST 2015

isiprnd01-2: Sun Jul  5 11:13:53 AST 2015

There is no firewall in between them and moreover in my first post I mentioned both the cluster and the DC are able to ping each other fine.

I tried again to join AD but no luck..

Am sure there is something which am missing.

1 Message

July 6th, 2015 06:00

Hi,

can you try with the classic mode? SSH to the isilon and type

isi_classic auth ads join --domain= --user=

isi auth refresh

isi_for_array -s isi auth status

Cheers

Torsten

130 Posts

July 6th, 2015 08:00

Hello tazatemc ,

I have done some looking and this error does indicate a networking or DNS issue. Can you verify a couple of things for me?

1. Are there any NAT translations of your cluster IPs to the domain?

2. Have you made any DNS changes recently in the environment?

In addition, can you please reply to this post with the following?

1. A ping test to your domain name from the cluster as you are trying to add it in the CLI or WebUI

# ping

2. nslookup from the cluster to your domain:

# nslookup

3. A time lookup to your domain from the cluster:

# date; isi_classic auth ads time --domain=

If both of the connectivity tests succeed and the time is still in sync, please also take a look at the following KB to enable debug level logging on the OneFS auth service (lsass) so we may get some more verbose logging of this issue?

https://support.emc.com/kb/88682

Please see the sections regarding "Troubleshooting failures" and "Set logging levels" to get this information to us. Please let me know if there is anything else I can look in to for you!

July 7th, 2015 01:00

Ok.. I got it working now !!!

As a test I created a test domain controller and added the cluster successfully to that DC. So that means there is some issue with the existing domain controller. I remember there were some DC changes with respective to AD in the past and even other windows VMs were having issues joining to AD.

The new test domain controller is a windows 2012 R2 but that does not mean the old DC which is running on Windows 2008 R2 will not work. So am planning to upgrade / fresh install the old DC with a new setup of windows 2012 DC.

Thanks everyone for your valuable suggestions.

2 Intern

• 

20.4K Posts

July 7th, 2015 06:00

Are you suspecting that 2012 R2 is the problem, where just the regular 2012 will work ?

July 8th, 2015 00:00

Nope.. 2012 R2 and 2012 have no issues. It was just my DNS setup which was not working the way it should be. There was a DNS change done earlier (Something with multiple domains pointing to a single domain) which effected our DNS but we did not realize that would affect this ISILON AD join.

No Events found!