Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 27th, 2016 14:00

32 GB mSata on Inspiron 17R SE 7720

Hi,

Have Inspiron 17R SE 7720 with 32 GB mSata. What was the purpose of that?

For use as cache I cannot see a way (no RAID drivers inside) and for OS is too small.

What was the primiry idea for this hardware-how to use it optimally?

Brg

Damir

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 28th, 2016 05:00

At some point a drive will fail - or Windows will become corrupt.  The question isn't whether you'll need recovery media, but when - and having it on hand means you can immediately repair rather than waiting days for Dell to ship the media.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 27th, 2016 15:00

It is a cache for the hard drive.  With many hybrid drives now having built-in caches, and with solid state drives far less expensive than they were when that system was new, the added cache makes less sense than it did then.

9 Posts

August 28th, 2016 00:00

Hi,

Thx for reply.

Could you please tell me how to make it running this "cache" usage without RAID...or where to see some written manuals or links.

Hope this is not too much, because just knowing your answer, does not help me much in solving mystery of this drive and how to use it.

P.S.
I do not have dell restore CD or anything like this, so please focus your answer in that direction.

Once again thx for reply.

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

August 28th, 2016 04:00

You're going to need the recovery media at some point in time, so you'll either need to make a set or purchase one - now would be a good time.

www.dell.com/.../SLN286337

9 Posts

Hi,

Thx for info.

What i see from "4 - Enable Acceleration" chapter, there is one normal HDD and mSata. In mine case I have added another SSD (in free slot).
So this is the reason why "Enable Acceleration" is not enabled (probably on the same channel as mSata?

Final question: I f I have additional SSD disk placed in free slot, is there anyway to "Enable Acceleration" and to use 32GB mSata disk for ordinary HDD?
Thx

from WEB picture:

Mine conf:

9 Legend

• 

87.5K Posts

If the OS is installed on a native SSD, there is no need for the 32G mSATA cache - it simply won't do anything for the hard drive's performance anyway. 

I don't think there's any way to use the mSATA cache for other than the primary hard drive -- and it's designed to hold frequently-accessed data for the operating system.  It's both too small and ineffective for caching files from a storage drive.

9 Posts

Thx on explanation a lot. (and no need for Del recovery CD, right?)

9 Posts

thx again, has logic as well

No Events found!