Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

S

137 Posts

January 9th, 2009 05:00

Windows 7?

With the launch of Windows 7 Beta today (either upgrade from Vista SP1 or go for a clean install) has anyone tried installing it on their Dell laptop? If so, what are your experiences?

160 Posts

January 18th, 2009 07:00

I just loaded both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows 7 build 7000 on a new e6500.

Both exciting, as well as disappointing.

Microsoft seems to have gotten it right: very stable, clean load.

Dell seems to have blown it:

- no video driver on the Microsoft DVD; Dell Vista driver won't load on Windows 7 (detects and aborts load)

- wireless doesn't work; Dell Broadcom driver for Vista won't load on Windows 7 (detects and aborts load)

We need help from Dell...

Didn't Microsoft Update find the video and wireless drivers?  On my M1330 the 4965AGN drivers were there at installation and MS update found the nVidia drivers right away.

2 Posts

January 18th, 2009 13:00

I see a few of you are having trouble installing stuff like the chipset driver that detects you aren't on Vista before even trying to install.  Here is a fix for that:

Right click on the actual setup file that the .exe unzips to (the Rxxxxxx folder in C:\Dell\Drivers will have it) and then click on 'Troubleshoot Compatability'.  That will bring up a wizard that will check on some known compatibility issues then give you some options, in which it includes 'This program installed or ran in a previous version of Windows'.  Check mark that then click Windows Vista and then the program will run just fine and the driver will install correctly.  I had to do this to install the chipset driver on my Vostro 1500.

Also Windows 7 is running great on my Vostro 1500, love the new taskbar and how efficient it manages RAM now.  Plus my WiFi doesn't die whenever I come out of sleep anymore!  Driver compatibility seems like its a top priority for MS this time around.

Also for any video issues try and run Window Update and install the beta Nvidia driver from there, its never BSOD or froze on my 8600mGT so far, which is a 100% change from the Windows Vista beta.

10 Posts

January 18th, 2009 21:00

Has anybody tried displaying the output on a TV? Basically use TV as external monitor? I do not see that option with the default display settings that come with Windows 7? Would like to know if there is any other video driver that I can use.

2 Posts

January 25th, 2009 12:00

I have a Latitude D800 (2GHz, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD, FX Go5650 128MB). The Win7-Installation was successfull. Only the driver for the NVidia FX Go5650 was not included. I have installed the driver for XP. In the devicemanager is now the device ok. The resolution is ok too: 1650x1050 in 32bit. But the update for the performance-index results in system hang :-/. Otherwise I use this laptop with Vista SP1.

Greeting from Celle/Germany 

Hello,

now I found the right driver for the NVidia go 5650:

http://downloads.guru3d.com/ForceWare-Vista-97.35-x86-(laptops)_d1530.html

With this driver I have a stable Win7-Installation! :-)

Performance-index is "3.0" for games and "3.2" for aero.

Greetings from Celle/Germany

160 Posts

January 26th, 2009 07:00

I had similar fan issues in an earlier build of Windows 7 32-bit on my M1330.  When 64-bit was released, the fan seems to work fine now.

However, the two issues I DO have are the mouse pointer locks up every other start and occasional BSOD from the nVidia drivers at startup.  Anyone have a fix?  I've tried probably 40 combinations of drivers and no drivers but problems are still there.  I can post the details or you can PM me.  I'm sure Microsoft will get it straightened out but for now, W7 is so FAST that it is worth the hassle.  It's REALLY that good.

Update on my two issues.  Thankfully (I guess), they are NOT issues.... at least with respect to Windows 7.  The nVIDIA BSOD issue was from my onboard video card dying, as all of them seem to do.  New motherboard and it's back working great.  It really bugs me that there is no permanent fix for the nVidia 8400M GS faulty chip.  Knowing it will go again is unnerving.

The mouse pointer lockup was because I don't use the fingerprint reader (shares the same usb port as the Synaptics touchpad) so I didn't install the drivers.  Installing the just released W7 drivers from UPEK drivers (even disabled, but installed) seems to have cured that problem.

47 second reboot times (using the reboot script from sevenforums.com) on a laptop!  I ain't EVER going back to XP or Vista!

3 Posts

March 21st, 2009 04:00

I had a few issues after switching to Windows 7 on my Dell XPS M1330:

1. Dell xps m1330 touchpad scrolling no longer works with Windows 7.  I had to update the Bios version to get the fan to stop acting all weird.
  2. Scrolling on touch pad also didn't work, but I, just reinstalled the Vista 32-bit driver, so it works for now...
  3. Audio stopped after installing windows 7, Idownloaded the Sigmatel driver for Vista 32-bit and that fixed that as well.

I think almost everything else works now...

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

March 21st, 2009 09:00

Windows 7 worked fine on my inspiron 6400, did not need to install any system drivers. Everything functioned even the wireless.

Installed mcafee total protection beta and the vista hp c6180 driver in compatibility mode, windows 7 seems to be going well but I am back on xp and vista for the moment.

1 Message

May 24th, 2009 17:00

I have been running Windows 7 on a Latitude D420 for 2 months now.

Everything is wonderful except the non compatible Dell video driver which is stopping me playing games (crucial then). I stuck in all the Vista drivers in order (my build was for XP) but it continuously baulks at the video one (grinds teeth).  

I am sufficiently sold that I will go Windows 7 the moment it is released in Oct but possibly on another machine as I tire of the general graphics issues with this particular machine vs my personal needs, we are not a good match :s

September 18th, 2009 00:00

I see a few of you are having trouble installing stuff like the chipset driver that detects you aren't on Vista before even trying to install.  Here is a fix for that:

Right click on the actual setup file that the .exe unzips to (the Rxxxxxx folder in C:\Dell\Drivers will have it) and then click on 'Troubleshoot Compatability'.  That will bring up a wizard that will check on some known compatibility issues then give you some options, in which it includes 'This program installed or ran in a previous version of Windows'.  Check mark that then click Windows Vista and then the program will run just fine and the driver will install correctly.  I had to do this to install the chipset driver on my Vostro 1500.

Also Windows 7 is running great on my Vostro 1500, love the new taskbar and how efficient it manages RAM now.  Plus my WiFi doesn't die whenever I come out of sleep anymore!  Driver compatibility seems like its a top priority for MS this time around.

Also for any video issues try and run Window Update and install the beta Nvidia driver from there, its never BSOD or froze on my 8600mGT so far, which is a 100% change from the Windows Vista beta.

So for users of Vostro 1500 you have almost no problems with the Windows 7 x86 or 32bit maybe a driver or two... Did the install find all your drivers automatically or did you have to install some manually???

October 20th, 2009 05:00

I have a Vostro 1400 laptop. I am willing to upgrade from Windows XP(SP3, 32-bit) to Windows 7 (32-bit). So will dell publish the required drivers. What should i do?

October 20th, 2009 19:00

With Windows 7 most newer drivers are already on the Windows 7 installation disk. And if Windows needs to it can try searching the internet or going to Windows update to find the drivers.

But I have installed Windows 7 on several White Box machines, HP machines, Compaq's, Toshiba's, and several Dell models without Windows telling me it could not find drivers. I think that if your computer runs Windows 2000/XP the drivers that your machine used for 2000/XP should work as the drivers for Windows 7.

I believe that Microsoft Is looking out for the 2000/XP users, and that Windows 7 is more geared for 2000/XP users so it will entice those users to upgrade. Now if you remember when Windows vista came out it was a 300 to 400 dollar operating system now if you want Windows 7 all you need is about 100 to 120 bucks. So I believe it is more for the Legacy OS users because Windows XP is already a legacy OS, and will still be around for at least a Decade before most users will stop using it.

Windows XP is the most stable OS to date and I also believe that when they were building Windows 7 all they really did was just enhance windows XP and gave it a Vista look. I enjoy Windows XP just about as much as Windows 7 But I Recomend to you if you play games on Windows XP and you want to play those games on Windows 7.

All games designed for Windows XP use DirectX 9.0 and games for Vista use DirectX 10.0, games for Windows 7 Will use DirectX 11.0. Now DirectX 10 Games will work on Windows 7 but DirectX 9 games will not you need to download and install DirectX 9.0 so you can play your Games on Windows 7.

November 6th, 2009 01:00

I ran the Windows 7 upgrade advisor, and it said it needs to run Windows update for few of my hardware(see below). But in support.dell.com, my system (Vostro 1400 laptotp) was NOT listed as compatible with Windows 7 (http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?journalid=77A62C06A2328117E040AE0AB5E1579C&docid=364758).  So will i be able to use Windows 7 or not?

Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor * { margin: 0; } html.WUA, body.WUA { height: 100%; overflow: hidden; } body { margin: 0; padding: 0; color: #000; } body.WUA { background: #fff url(img/totaltop.gif) repeat-x top; } img { border: 0; } #ReportTable { clear: both; } td, th { vertical-align: top; } a { color: #06c; text-decoration: none; } a:hover { color: #39f; text-decoration: underline; } #footer { position: absolute; bottom: 0; width: 100%; background: url(img/totalbottom.gif) repeat-x bottom; border: solid 1px #dfdfdf top; } #StartOverButton, #CloseButton { margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px; width: 7em; } #top-shadow { position: absolute; width: 100%; z-index: 3; } #bottom-shadow { position: absolute; bottom: 17px; left: 0; width: 100%; z-index: 3; } #top-shadow img, #bottom-shadow img { width: 100%; } #report { } #report th { color: #039; padding: 0.3em 1.5em; background: #e1ebff; } .SectionFooter { height: 1.5em; } #wua { position: relative; overflow: auto; } .ObjectDesc { width: 30%; } .ObjectBriefDetails { width: 20%; } .ObjectMoreDetail { width: 50%; } .StatusIcon { padding: 1em 0 0.2em 0; width: 5em; } .StatusIcon .Container { width: 5em; } .ObjectBriefDetails .Container { padding: 1em 0.6em 0.4em 0.6em; } .ObjectDesc .Container, .CompatibleTotal, .ScanError { padding: 1em 0.6em 0.4em 0.6em; } .ObjectMoreDetail .Container { padding: 1em 0.6em 0.4em 0.6em; } .ObjectDescCompany { color: #555; } .SpecifyEditions { font-weight: bold; } #SystemInfo { margin: 20px 30px 10px 30px; } #SystemTable { margin: 30px 0 20px 0; } #SystemTable th { padding: 0 0 14px 0; } #SystemTable td { padding: 0 50px 14px 10px; } h1 { margin: 0; padding: 0; font-weight: normal; color: #039; font-size: 13pt; } .Button { margin: 0 auto; display: block; text-decoration: none; color: #000; } .Button.hover { background: #ddf1ff url(img/ButtonBG.png) repeat-x left top; } .Button.hover .tl { background: url(img/Button_tl.gif) no-repeat left top; } .Button.clicked .tl { background: #d7eefd url(img/Button_tl_hover.gif) left top; } .Button.hover .tr { background: url(img/Button_tr.gif) no-repeat right top; } .Button.hover .br { background: url(img/Button_br.gif) no-repeat right bottom; } .Button.hover .bl { background: url(img/Button_bl.gif) no-repeat left bottom; } .Button h1 { margin-top: 0.5em; margin-bottom: 0.1em; padding: 0; } #Toolbar { margin-top: 1.4em; } #Toolbar .Button { cursor: default; color: #000; text-decoration: none; white-space: nowrap; } #Toolbar .Button .container { padding: 0.3em 0.7em; } #Toolbar .Label { display: block; padding-top: 0.1em; } #W7StatusIcon { padding-top: 1.6em; } #OverallMessage { clear: both; margin-top: 1.4em; margin-left: 1.8em; margin-right: 1.8em; padding-bottom: 1.4em; } #BackButton .Button .container { padding-top: 0.3em; } #BackButton .Label { display:block; } .ScanErrorSubText { margin-top: 0.1em; } .StartOverButton { margin-top: 1em; } body, td, th, button { font-family: Segoe UI, Tahoma, Arial, Sans-Serif; } body { font-size: 10pt; } td, th { font-size: 10pt; line-height: normal; letter-spacing: normal; } .StatusIcon, #SystemTable th, #footer { text-align: right; /* Change to left for RTL languages */ } .Button { text-align: left; /* Change to right for RTL languages */ } #Toolbar img, #OverallMessage, #BackButton, #BackButton img { float: left; /* RTL: Change to right */ } #Toolbar { float: right; /* RTL: Change to left */ } #footer button { margin-right: 10px; /* RTL: Change to margin-left */ } #report th { text-align: left; /* Change to right for RTL languages */ font-size: 1.4em; font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; letter-spacing: normal; } .ObjectDescTitle { /* This is the first column for system/devices/programs items (e.g. the product name) */ font-size: 10pt; font-weight: bold; line-height: normal; letter-spacing: normal; } .CompatibleTotal .Container, .ScanErrorTitle { /* This is for the compatible summary text like "Passed # other system requirements." */ line-height: normal; letter-spacing: normal; } .CompatibleText { font-weight: bold; } .ObjectMoreDetail .Container { /* For RTL languages, change to padding-left */ padding-right: 4em; } #Win7Message { /* In Save/Print format, this is the Windows 7 compatibility message (e.g. You need to prepare your system before installing Windows 7.) */ font-size: 1.25em; line-height: normal; letter-spacing: normal; } #SystemTable th { /* In Save/Print format, these are the headers (or titles) for the system components such as "CPU:" and "Computer Name:". */ font-weight: normal; line-height: normal; letter-spacing: normal; } #SystemTable td { /* In Save/Print format, these are the values besides the headings. */ font-weight: bold; line-height: normal; letter-spacing: normal; } #Toolbar { margin-right: 1.5em; /* RTL: Change to margin-left */ } #Toolbar img, #BackButton img { margin-right: 0.6em; /* RTL: Change to margin-left */ } #BackButton { margin-left: 0.6em; /* RTL: Change to margin-right */ } #OverallMessage h1, .SectionHeader { /* This is the text such as "You need to prepare your system before installing Windows 7." under the Windows 7 Logo in the results page */ font-size: 12pt; } #BackButton .Label { /* "Back to overview" */ font-size: 11pt; } #BackButton .Button .container { padding-left: 0.7em; /* RTL: Change to padding-right */ }

There are some issues you should take a look at before installing Windows 7.
System Requirements
Upgrade
Backup system first
You'll need to perform a custom installation of Windows 7 and then reinstall your programs. Make sure to back up your files before you begin. Go online to get important information about installing Windows 7.
Hard Drive Free Space
7.13 GB
You need at least 16 GB of free space on your hard disk to install 32-bit Windows 7, or 20 GB of free space to install 64-bit Windows 7. You can make room by removing unwanted files from your hard disk, contact your PC manufacturer or retailer to see if a hard disk with more capacity is available for your PC, or install Windows 7 on another hard disk.
CPU speed
1.60 GHz
Your CPU meets the 1 GHz minimum requirement.
RAM
2.50 GB
Your system memory meets the 1 GB requirement for 32-bit Windows 7 and the 2 GB requirement for 64-bit Windows 7.
Windows Aero
Capable
Your system can run Windows Aero.
Devices
Ricoh Memory Stick Host Controller
Ricoh Company
Action recommended
Run Windows Update after installing Windows 7 to make this device compatible.
Ricoh MMC Host Controller
Ricoh Company
Action recommended
Ricoh xD-Picture Card Controller
Ricoh Company
Action recommended
GlobeTrotter HSxPA
Option nv
Not compatible
This device isn't compatible with Windows 7.
SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC
SigmaTel
Compatible
This device is compatible with Windows 7.
Conexant HDA D330 MDC V.92 Modem
Conexant
Compatible
OHCI Compliant IEEE 1394 Host Controller
IEEE 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller Vendor
Compatible
Broadcom NetLink (TM) Fast Ethernet
Broadcom
Compatible
Dell Wireless 1390 WLAN Mini-Card
Broadcom
Compatible
Intel(R) ICH8M 3 port Serial ATA Storage Controller - 2828
Intel
Compatible
Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2830
Intel
Compatible
Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2831
Intel
Compatible
Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2832
Intel
Compatible
Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2834
Intel
Compatible
Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB Universal Host Controller - 2835
Intel
Compatible
Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 2836
Intel
Compatible
Intel(R) ICH8 Family USB2 Enhanced Host Controller - 283A
Intel
Compatible
Intel(R) ICH8M Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 2850
Intel
Compatible
Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
Intel Corporation
Compatible
Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family
Intel Corporation
Compatible
Laptop Integrated Webcam
Creative Technology Ltd.
Compatible
USB Mass Storage Device
Compatible USB storage device
Compatible

160 Posts

November 6th, 2009 07:00

From your specs the Vostro 1400 should run Windows 7 really well.  When you install W7, you'll see that critical components are already installed by the install disk.  Windows Update will pick up the Ricoh drivers.  You can install Dell's Vista 32-bit drivers for whatever may be missing.  If they won't install on first try, they'll usually install in Vista compabibility mode.

3 Posts

April 18th, 2010 22:00

I upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate on my Latitude E5500, and now I'm missing 2 gigs of Ram out of 4.  Dell tech support says the ram is there, just not showing, but I'm always getting prompts that I'm running low on memory and need to close and reopen programs.  My 2 gigs of ram is not being used or something.  Anyone know how to fix that?

147 Posts

April 19th, 2010 05:00

I have installed WIN7 32 bit & 64 bit on 2 DELL laptops without any problems what-so-ever.  One is an INSPIRON 1525 32 bit & the other is a STUDIO 1555 64 bit.

No Events found!