Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

February 2nd, 2018 07:00

Two computers on one monitor Input Source problem

Hello I'm working on Macbook Pro and playing games on PC

My Macbook setup is one U2717D and one U2412M + macbook screen.

On my U2412M i have the Macbook connected via Displayport and PC connected via DVI. Everything worked like a charm with my old card(which was integrated) i was able to switch between Macbook and PC from the monitors panel. Today i updated my video card to GeForce Gtx 1060 3gb used the same DVI cable from my old video card and now when i switch the input source from Displayport to DVI via monitors panel it works, but when i switch it back from DVI to Displayport the monitor (U2412M) starts flickering (looping black screen then Dell logos screen then again black sceen) Other two displays start to flicker too (U2717D and Macbook Display) They flicker Desktop to black screen. After i unplug the DVI cable from the monitor(U2412M) everything starts working.

Is there anybody that can help? Thanks in advance! 

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 2nd, 2018 07:00

First, realize that Dell never validated/tested the U2412M and the U2717D on any Apple proprietary hardware, operating system, or drivers.

Your whole setup explanation is confusing to me. You start out by saying that you have three devices = MacBook, U2412M, U2717D

Then you add PC? A forth device? What model PC? It sounds like some desktop computer?
You need to spell it out in detail like this =

MacBook ?? out port --> ?? cable --> U2412M ?? in port
MacBook ?? out port --> ?? cable --> U2717D ?? in port

PC GeForce GTX 1060 ?? out port --> ?? cable --> U2412M ?? in port
PC GeForce GTX 1060 ?? out port --> ?? cable --> U2717D ?? in port

February 2nd, 2018 08:00

Macbook Pro 15 inch mid 2015

Macbook --> Display Port -> U2717D
Macbook --> Display Port -> U2412M  <-- DVI <-- Desktop Computer Nvidia Gtx 1060 (Windows)

Where i switch between Macbook and Desktop Computer on this monitorU2412M via Input Sources on monitors panel.

Everything worked perfectly till today when i changed my video card from integrated one to Nvidia GTX 1060 3gb

Are computer's specs necessary? Everything worked before. I was able to switch between DVI and DP with my old video card and everything worked. Only 1 thing changed the video card. I even use same DVI cable for connecting the computer to the monitor.

So i guess the problem has to be in the video card, video card drivers or something with the monitor due to its newer model of the card.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 2nd, 2018 09:00

You lost me. Are you saying that the MacBook has TWO DP out ports?

MacBook --> Display Port -> U2717D
Does your statement above mean =
MacBook 1st DP out port --> DP to DP cable --> U2717D DP in port

MacBook --> Display Port -> U2412M <-- DVI <-- Desktop Computer Nvidia GTX 1060 (Windows)
Does your statement above mean =
MacBook 2nd DP out port --> DP to DP cable --> U2412M DP in port
Desktop Nvidia GTX 1060 DVI out port --> DVI to DVI cable --> U2412M DVI in port

February 5th, 2018 03:00

Can't explain it clear than this. Here is a scheme of how everything works. Hope you get it now.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l3zg56j1ejjv3is/scheme.png?dl=0

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 5th, 2018 05:00

No idea. Adding that non-tested MacBook to the mix is stumping me. You should ask the Apple users on their Forum for help. Maybe they can figure out what hardware is at fault here.

No Events found!