Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

M

January 22nd, 2009 08:00

Computer Emits Explosion-like Sounds

I have a Dell Lattitude D630, and use Windows XP. Periodically the computer emits sounds that sound like explosions. On some occasions, the sounds are sporadic. On other occasions they have been precisely 15 minutes apart. This occurs whether or not the computer is operating via battery or is plugged in to a power source, or is linked to an external USB port.  It occurs whether or not the speakers or the printer are connected.

The IT repair folks at my university have no ideas about what might be causing the problem. They upgraded the driver related to acoustics, and replaced the the motherboard, but the problem persists.

One variable about which I am not yet certain is whether this occurs when the computer is disconected from the Internet, or only when it is connected to the Internet.

No such problem occurs with other computers in the home that utilize the same wireless connection.

And, just this morning, for a few minutes, the computer was emitting popping sounds, which has now ceased.

Has anyone encountered this kind of problem? Any ideas?

Thanks very much.

michaelro

2.6K Posts

January 22nd, 2009 10:00

A couple things to try just to eliminate possibilities:

1) Do you get the same noise using the headphone jack?  If not, it could be a problem with your speakers themselves.

2) Do you get the sound if you fully mute the audio in control panel?  How about if you disable the default audio device completely under the hardware tab - device properties?

Some software possibilities: 

- Try working through your system sounds in control panel to see if you can isolate a particular sound that matches what you hear.  I'm thinking chat or IM software that notifies you when a contact goes on or offline.

- Ads and popups on web sites can make that kind of noise.  Try clearing out your temporary internet files; might want to use something like CCleaner to clear out Java and Flash caches too (just don't install the toolbar).   If that doesn't help a malware scan would be a good idea (Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a good free one).

2 Posts

March 11th, 2009 19:00

michaelro:   I have had the same problem on and off for ten days now ;  may have just found the (stupid) answer.  (At least it has gone away for now;  if it comes back, never mind.)  Nutsy as this may sound, if you have a Weather Channel icon or link on your computer (it has a way of infiltrating itself on your taskbar), and if your have had severe weather in your area (I'm in St. Louis), in parallel with your explosions, we may both be in luck.  Looks like it might be some WC's resident genius' idea of how to catch our attention at the beginning of, or ongoing during, a weather alert.   Can't swear this is it, but I got an "explosion" exactly at the start of calling up the site (could have just been a 15-minute coincidence?), and none (after 24-hours straight) since I sent the icon away from the task bar (crossing fingers).  Certainly explains the random on-off appearances of the phenomenon, and the highly regular timing of the ongoing bursts (= man-made).  If you do have WC connection, and this works, would appreciate confirming feedback.  (Haven't had/heard any popping noises, but it's not inconsistent with possible WC thinking.)

2 Posts

March 11th, 2009 22:00

UPDATE:  Definitely is The Weather Channel.  You can call up the "explosion" at will (as long as a weather alert is up) by clicking on to the site (I have a shortcut on my desktop), which does two things:  produces the  explosion and adds a mini icon to your taskbar.  As long as the mii icon is there, caling up the icon won't deliver an explosion on repeat call-ups, but remove the mini-icon from the taskbar, click on to the site, and the whole cycle repeats.  [I wondered what kind of weather alert could run for the 36 hours plus I've had the last two days:  it turns out that potential looming flash floods (in this area, not until tomorrow, still) qualify.

Your computer and sound system are fine.  Stupid Weather Channel.   Not cute.

No Events found!