Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 10th, 2022 07:00

I have a headless (no monitor) Optiplex. Can I access BIOS from OS remotely?

I have a few month old optiplex PC running windows 10 pro that's 'headless' - no monitor, keyboard and mouse. 

(is that the right name for that setup?).

I connect to it remotely (it runs win 10 pro and has logmein installed on it).

Turns out I didn't set it to auto restart after power outage in the Bios when first setting it up.

Any chance there's a way to set that in the bios without connecting a monitor, mouse and keyboard to it and pressing F2 at startup to get into BIOS?

I'm thinking (hoping) -

There's an app that talks to / connects to the bios?  PowerEdge servers have openmanage, which does that sort of thing, right?

And / or there's a way to script it?

I know that you can do a bios upgrade from Windows, right?  Download an exe from dell support site, then run it.  It reboots the box and at startup, the PC knows to boot up and upgrade the BIOS?  So it would seem there's some amount of space somewhere to store the newer BIOS version.  And for the box to know to install that newer version.

I remember 'the old days' where that Dell upgrade exe would have you make a bootable USB drive, with the new BIOS on it, boot from that and have it upgrade the BIOS.

so:

1) Any idea on how to make changes to BIOS on a headless box short of doing it locally and connect a monitor, mouse and keyboard to it.

2) There's Internet KVMs, right?  connect a device that connects to monitor and USB ports and ethernet and then you connect to the device over the internet.  Kinda like idrac on a server.  anyone have a recommendation for a cheap device like that?

3) in general, how do you deal with the rare times you might have to connect to a headless PC before it boots into the OS?  For system repairs, seeing why it doesn't boot, etc.?

THANKS!

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

August 10th, 2022 11:00

Re: Any chance there's a way to set that in the bios without connecting a monitor, mouse and keyboard to it and pressing F2 at startup to get into BIOS?

yes.  you can be a domain admin to push out bios custom policy to these pcs remotely.  you need this Dell tool: Dell Client Configuration Toolkit

Solved: Disabling the WIFI remotely on OptiPlex 7060? - Dell Community

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 10th, 2022 08:00

@MikeRenna 

Dell Command and Vpro Tools require enterprise support contract.

Remote bios and out of band things like bios updates work with VPRO.  However OOB Management tools and support is not free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_J1DB1isRo

33 Posts

August 10th, 2022 11:00

@speedstep   

Dell Command and Vpro Tools require enterprise support contract.

really?!  Hadn't heard that.  Are you saying they require support contracts to work?  Or for support from Dell people? 

If the former - didn't know that / haven't had an issue using command |update.   found command | config and it seemed to work.

if the latter - OK, that's why I was looking for the community to help : ) 

33 Posts

August 10th, 2022 14:00

Thanks @redxps630 

from another forum, I learned about command | config.  After I installed that, the GUI is kinda daunting, but I think I did that (set power on after outage).

And in this other forum (a non-dell website), based on some links people offered about command | config, I went down a rabbit hole and spent >> 40 << minutes trying to find the app. 

If you have time to read this, love to hear what you think of this - is it me or dell that just finding that app for an 10 month old Optiplex took 40 minutes and really left me frustrated:

=======

I recently learned of 'Dell Command'.  Seemed an easy way to get all the latest versions of drivers, etc for the PC and it installs it!  I'll install it from:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=601KT

and say no to have it run all the time / check for updates in the background (this is for other's PCs).

Rant: why do they call it  Update Package for MS Windows 32-Bit when it is also for 64 bit?!   Gotta read the next lines:  Dell Update Packages (DUP) in Microsoft Windows 32bit format have been designed to run on Microsoft Windows 64bit Operating Systems.

I've seen supportassist pre-installed on Dells for a long time and don't use it and typically uninstall it if I see it / turn it off from running at startup..  That's if the user calls in for support to dell?

Being impatient / I have ADD, seeing that 'Dell command' was the answer to this issue, I install command from the link above (but not realize that's command | update vs. config).  Run it.  It doesn't have anything about bios.

All else fails, read the directions : )   OH!  There's Command Config AND Command Update.  2 different apps?  

Rant: Command seems to be geared for tech people?  Why doesn't Dell make it 1 app?

Following the link Don gives, that page takes you to a dell page that says to go to dell support.  Entering my machine service tag, I only see command Update.

Back to https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000178000/dell-command-configure and there's something about 'see compatible PCs'.  Maybe my 8 month old PC is not compatible?

Configure is available for the supported platforms, reference Supported Platforms/BIOS reference list for Dell Command Configure, Dell Command Monitor, and Dell Command PowerShell Provider for more information.

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000146625/supported-platforms-bios-reference-list-for-dell-...

That page lists models.  I scroll through and don't see opti 5090.    THEN i read the top about this list being OLDER models?  Newer ones are compatible?  

Rant: So why isn't it in the drivers / download page for that model!?

Rant: why can't the first page say that models after 2016 ARE compatible. For more details if you need it THEN you can click on https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000146625/supported-platforms-bios-reference-list-for-dell-...

Still don't have Command Config download, let alone installed / used..

Searching Dell support for 'command', I find:

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000126750/dell-client-command-suite?lang=en

That page (revised 5/5/22) says the newest version of config is aug 2020?! Click on that link.  Takes you to the page above about search for software for your model (that doesn't have config).

I see:

Easy link for this page is https://www.Dell.com/Command.

And click on that.

Clicking on Bios management getting started, it takes me back to the page saying go to support for your device above.

OK.  so I go back to the page listing what (older devices) can run command.... I pick opti 9010 and I;ll use that model to see the apps that are available..  Go to support.dell.com, browse and there's no Opti 9010?! 

Back to the list of models that config will work with.  I chose 9020M.

OK!! THAT has command ! config. in the list of software / drivers.  But wait! it's  V.  4.1.0.478, A00   with a may 15, 2018 date.  WAIT!  Didn't that other page above say the latest config is 2020?  Oh, I said I am running an older PC.  So this version is the newest that will work with the older PC?!

Googling dell command config download, I get this page near the top.  But this is from 2017:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=FVGF9

Searching dell support for command config download I get this page.  Says this version is 2022.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=kvf2c

WOW!!!! SHOULD IT BE THIS HARD?!

40 minutes  later and NOW I can actually install the file?!  AM I WRONG?  

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

August 10th, 2022 18:00

the tool kit is meant for experienced IT professional (and I am not one).  if it is difficult then need to find another way to solve your issue.

33 Posts

August 10th, 2022 19:00

@redxps630  

thanks!

I'm an IT tech, so using the app isn't the hard part. The hard part was trying to find the install file on the dell website. 

You mentioned the client config toolkit.  Someone else had mentioned Dell Command | Configure and THAT'S the one that took 40 minutes to find.

Maybe the toolkit is easier to find?  I'll have to try that.  

7 Technologist

• 

10.4K Posts

August 10th, 2022 20:00

I found this tutorial helpful even for lay user.  https://deployhappiness.com/pushing-bios-settings-with-group-policy/

1 Rookie

• 

402 Posts

August 11th, 2022 11:00

This open-source tool allows you to remotely manage systems that have Intel AMT capability: MeshCommander

I haven't used it on my Dell system, but I've successfully connected to an older (Intel Gen 4 CPU) system from another vendor ("Lxxxxx"). You can do things like remote power-on/off, view and control the console screen, share a virtual CD/DVD ISO image and boot it, etc. If the Intel Management Engine drivers are installed, they give you extra capabilities while Windows is running. It'd at least be an interesting project.

5 Practitioner

• 

4.8K Posts

August 11th, 2022 12:00

@MikeRenna , Re:  ...40 minutes  later and NOW I can actually install the file?!  AM I WRONG?

I afraid to tell you that you are.  Because you still got the old version after spending all that time.  It took me 15 seconds to google Dell Optiplex 5090 drivers and the first result landed me on this page https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/optiplex-5090-desktop/drivers.  Under Find drivers, I verified the OS is Windows 10, then I scrolled down and found Dell Command Configure.  When click on View full driver detail, I got this page https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=95f54&oscode=wt64a&productcode=optiplex-5090-desktop.  It seems this is a newer version than the one you found and it took less than a minute for me.

I hope doing search my way can help you avoid wasted time and frustration.  You may find other relevant Dell Command apps and drivers for your system as well, all in one place.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 11th, 2022 13:00

@MikeRenna 

driverid=95f54

Dell Command Configure application version 4.7.0.433, A00
 13 Apr 2022
Dell-Command-Configure_95F54_WIN_4.7.0.433_A00.EXE

Windows 10 IoT Enterprise LTSC 2019
Windows 11
Windows 10, 32-bit
Windows 10, 64-bit

https://www.delltechnologies.com/en-us/systems-management/client-command-suite.htm

https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-us/sln311302/

Dell recommends getting the latest information from the most current Release Notes, reference command-configure docs

Dell Command | Configure 4.0 or later requires platforms supporting WMI-ACPI BIOS. The complete functionalities of Dell Command | Configure is available for the supported platforms, reference Supported Platforms/BIOS list ,

Dell Command Monitor, 

Dell Command PowerShell Provider

for more information.

33 Posts

August 15th, 2022 10:00

@Chino de Oro 

I'm not taking offense or mean to 'shoot the messenger'.  But some questions.

1) First thing you mention is that you googled.  Would you think support.dell.com is where to start?

Is Support.dell.com wrong way to start?

2) I followed your link and yes, command | configure IS there.  Along with a BUNCH of command items.  At the top of the list it says Optiplex 5090 (76).  76 items?

As I mentioned, I used the service tag of the machine: 2X0HTH3 when searching (rather than opti 5090)

Slowing down (again, I have ADD, but I don't think that should matter....), i see:

MikeRenna_1-1660583516328.png

And this device is selected between the 2 choices.

I would grumble in the past because that selector box wasn't there (or I never saw it) when I'd search for a specific service tag..   they'd show all the drivers for that model, even when I entered a specific service code.  So they KNOW it shipped with an intel XYZ, not Broadcom ABC NIC, or the type of video card that's in there, etc.  It was on us to know what you need / don't need. (ie, it didn't have this  Model / specific machine selector.).

So thanks that they added that.   

But MY device with the 21, DOESN'T include Command | Configure.

Any thoughts on why that's the case?

Maybe because it's an enterprise app that CAN be used on this machine, but wasn't bought through an enterprise account? So they don't show it for that device?  I'd take issue with that.  It's not filtering on 'device and account that bought it' (21).  It's just 'the device'.  And then with that logic, why do they show command | update - they are both part of the same 'command' suite.

That's where things fell apart.  I started in the right place, had the service tag (mistake?).  I should have just checked the model selection.

All that, would you say that's a flaw in Dell's system?  

YES, MY BAD... if I saw that selector box (I didn't... a mistake) and maybe thought to look at what the other (76-21) items were, I'd have seen the command | configure.

But am I wrong (again) to say that (most? or just 1 - me?) people would say 'the 76-21= 55  items relate to hardware I don't have so I will skip looking there?

Again, YES, it's on me for not seeing the selector.  And even then, likely not looking there thinking those are hardware specific items not generic software.

But again, why isn't command | configure on the list for this device?  And all the other command items?

My mistake or dell's??

33 Posts

August 15th, 2022 11:00

@Chino de Oro 

yeah, I miss the forest for the trees / get distracted on what the point is - getting the app : ) 

When you say system panel... you mean in the bios  (no, there's no stickers in the bios : ) ? 

System board?  (is that a hard setting that I can't enable / change?  If so, might be why it's not listed under my service tag).

5 Practitioner

• 

4.8K Posts

August 15th, 2022 11:00

Hello @MikeRenna , I saw your post with rants because of frustration and wasted times and I was trying to show you the way I know how to search for something using google.  I only want to help you get to the right place at the least time.  Since you are somewhat very technical and knowing what you are doing, I am sure you will know what you want within the results, and without spending 40 minutes.  I usually know what I want so the method I use is not for everyone.

I am sure Dell folks do have many mistakes on their site but the knowledge base from Dell EMC is vast and very helpful when needed.

On a side note, check your system panel for a yellow sticker if AMT is =  3 (disable), then it won't take command remotely.

5 Practitioner

• 

4.8K Posts

August 15th, 2022 17:00

Hello @MikeRenna , the sticker usually located on the inside of the removeable side panel.  More information about manageability mode here.  

No Events found!