Start a Conversation

Unsolved

S

8 Posts

May 20th, 2021 19:00

Dell R620 with "PCIe training error: Integrated RAID" - BIOS update?

Hello everyone,

I came across an odd issue tonight when I was upgrading BIOS on a R620 with older BIOS.

When I first booted up, everything came up fine, no issues, just outdated BIOS.  I ran hardware DIAGS, also no issue.

I created a BIOS USB drive from DRM (like I have done with all the others, latest catalog), and let the boot run.  It updated the RAID controller (H710 512GB, integrated), System bios, SAS HDDs, etc.. fine, then it rebooted and it worked the first time as I was able to go into the H710 and delete the previous array for a clean slate and then reboot.

When it rebooted, I was able to get to DIAGS and I ran the DIAGs, and it ended up freezing. on XMEM32, looked at the system logs and there was a PCI error.  I re-seated the memory, network, risers, etc.. and rebooted then it came up with PCIe Training Error: Integrated RAID.  Halt.

When I removed the RAID card from the system, everything booted perfectly, was able to get to DIAGs and everything ran 100% (except HDDs) without issues..

I disconnected the battery, let it sit for a while, and reinstalled it.  Same error.. PCIe Training error.. and I can not get past this..  Everything was working prior to BIOS updates.. then boom.

I also tried a spare H710 integrated controller, same EXACT error, so not sure where to go..

SO not sure where to start here.. Dell? Help? any idea?

• 

2.2K Posts

May 21st, 2021 02:00

Hello,
I'm sorry to hear that. If the result is the same, especially when you try it with the spare PERC, there may be hardware failure. You can try a few things that come to my mind. At first, I see the latest version of the BIOS as 2.9.0, if it is not this version, you can try to update it. https://dell.to/3hHMMaB
As the easiest step, you can first power drain the server.
Power the server down
Disconnect server from all power cables, Network cables.
Hold down the power button continuously for at least 10 seconds.
Insert power cables and network cables back to the system.
Wait about 2 minutes before powering on server to give the iDRAC time to initialize.
Power the system on.

Apart from that, you can try to reset the server to default settings from the retire and repurpose section in the LCC. Provides NVRAM clear convenience. https://dell.to/2T8PI63
If this problem is caused by the current BIOS FW, the downgrade may be attempted. However, risky BIOS FW changes can be risky. There is no direct workaround for this error, but can you try these methods that come to my mind.

Let us know how it goes!

8 Posts

May 21st, 2021 09:00

Ill give it a shot, nothing to lose at this point.. But I can not get into the LCC as the system halts so I am guessing there is a way to accomplish this via the iDRAC?  I'll take a look..

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

May 21st, 2021 10:00

Hello,

Yes, you're correct - firmware updates can be done through the iDRAC web interface. If you click on iDRAC Settings, you should see an option to Update and Rollback below. You can upload the BIOS update .exe file there and once it uploads, click install and reboot to bein the update. The link below goes into detail on the subject.

https://dell.to/2QIsFhA

8 Posts

May 22nd, 2021 07:00

Ok, removed all power, drained power.. removed H710 mini, disconnected battery.. and I let it sit overnight..

Fired it up this morning and ran diags and got this..  Failing on Systems Management section

Error Code: 2000-0251

Validation Code: 90639

My guess would be there is an issue with BIOS.. How do you "force" the server to erase and re-apply BIOS.  It was upgraded to 2.9.0 from a much older version (2.1.2 I think?) and I am thinking maybe back-level it to 2.5.4, then run 2.9.0 again..

Thoughts?

8 Posts

May 22nd, 2021 16:00

Well.. Unless there is some unknown Dell magic, I am at a loss..

When I got the server up and running, everything was fine. Did the upgrade package and then I started receiving the PCIe training Error.  Since this point, I downgraded BIOS to 2.5.4, the same issue, upgraded to 2.9.0, same issue.  So it WAS once working, but now it seems It is lost.. I have tried every disabling, resetting, NVRAM clearing procedure out there and to no avail, nothing.

Am I missing something or did a BIOS upgrade really kill the mobo?

• 

3.7K Posts

May 23rd, 2021 15:00

Hello, could you try updating idrac as well? 

1 Attachment

8 Posts

May 24th, 2021 08:00

How does one FORCE bios to write over previous BIOS of same version? or I should say, write over iDRAC & LCC which I did upg to 2.65.65.65, but I can do it again..

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

May 24th, 2021 09:00

Good morning Steve,

There are command arguments to force a BIOS update through. In Windows, it's /forcetype. I think the easiest thing to do may be to use a FreeDOS USB to run the executable with the command argument, since the RAID error is going to give boot issues. You should be able to run a similar command in a live Linux environment, but our live support image is a MUCH larger download than a FreeDOS image. The command would probably be something different, like -f or --forcetype, as well.

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

What I'm suggesting would involve downloading the BIOS .exe file, then using a tool like Rufus to create a FreeDOS image. To my knowledge, DRM won't offer this.

8 Posts

I do have the USB image created out of DRM, but how does one add a command-line variable to that image?

If you could point the way, I have no issue editing whatever is needed to do so

8 Posts

May 24th, 2021 10:00

Ahh, got it.. can you run a iDRAC / LCC update from a USB boot drive?  I already did the BIOS this was, no change.. I could try the iDRAC/LCC..

The big question would be is where odes the system management portion get flashed from? The BIOS or the IDRAC/LCC?

4 Operator

• 

2.9K Posts

May 24th, 2021 13:00

I believe that you can, but I'm not 100% certain. As for the systems management question, there are parts of it in both the BIOS and the iDRAC/LCC. It's mostly iDRAC firmware, though.

May 28th, 2023 04:00

Has the problem been resolved? I have the same problem on an R720.

• 

3.7K Posts

May 31st, 2023 00:00

Hello thanks for choosing Dell. Have you directly raised a ticket on your own issue along with asking for opinions here, too? I am wondering if you have anything plugged in other than the raid controller, such as an NIC? 

No Events found!