Start a Conversation

Unsolved

L

33 Posts

January 29th, 2020 08:00

DELL PRECISION 7920 Freezing (Windows 10)

Guys,

We have a few of these models with 144GB of RAM. One with 160GB. Windows 10. From time to time (one machine experience this almost every day). There is an odd freezing where the user can move the mouse do some clicks, but nothing works correctly.

By default these builds came with less memory, we upgraded them and also removed the default GPU (small quadro) and replaced that with a RTX 2080 (with the latest drivers)

Now, I installed w10 clean (2 days ago) with the latest drivers from DELL's support page from here: https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/precision-7920-workstation/drivers

Everything works until when the user comeback the next day or the same afternoon the machine is in this state where nothing can be done (is not completely lock per se).

I've changed the power management settings, the NVIDIA power settings to not avail. I believe that this is a hardware issue presenting itself and affects the OS, or viceversa an OS issue (with the latest updates) malfunctionong due to some bug in this specific hardware, etc.

Any help is appreciated.

33 Posts

January 29th, 2020 10:00

I've removed the RTX 2080 and all the RAM but the original ram that comes with the system. I replaced the gpu with a basic one and I'm running the Windows Memory diagnostics tools, let's see what happens.

• 

25.1K Posts

January 30th, 2020 02:00

We tried reaching you on a private message but did not receive a response. Please feel free to write back whenever you are available.

33 Posts

January 30th, 2020 05:00

I've replied to you already.

• 

25.1K Posts

January 30th, 2020 06:00

@luke357 I suspect the issue is being caused by an incorrect memory configuration. Even though the system will support up to 1.5TB of RAM it has to be populated in certain configurations. 144GB and 160GB are not supported configurations. 128GB and 192 GB are your closest memory configurations

I would recommend following this memory config guide for accurately populating the system - https://dell.to/3aWgFOP

Alan

DELL-AlanD

33 Posts

January 30th, 2020 07:00

Hey Alan,

Right now was testing with 128GB before I saw your reply, I will post my results in the next few days,  Thanks for the quick response, I've read that document, however. I have a question for you:

- Then using a non-supported ram configuration can lead to (weird) side effects? That's totally crazy but if the system is designed that way, it's what it is. The memory are the same type, speed, etc.

33 Posts

Alan, make sense now. Yes, latest BIOS, latest drivers. Thanks, I will post in a few days with the result.

33 Posts

Also, I have 4x32GB {128GB} (besides the 4x8GB {32GB} from DELL), and I see that is not supported on any row of the memory table. 

First: with 4x8GB I can use S32R on D2,D4,D3,D1 but with my currentr 128GB (4x32) I cannot since a 128GB config is only supported  twice (S128R and D128R) which both use 16GB modules (mine are 32GB)

So my option is to go for 256GB (with S256R) if I want to use these sticks since I have only one socket therefore D256R is out of the question, I'm correct right?

So I suppose that to use them

• 

25.1K Posts

That is correct, memory needs to be matched exactly for optimum performance. This is even more important in these workstation towers which can support vast amounts of memory. As you say, they are designed that way.

I have seen 3rd party RAM causing massive headaches on systems, they either throw up weird issues like you have encountered or simply don't even complete post. 

I would also ensure that the BIOS and chipset are up to date.

Alan

DELL-AlanD

33 Posts

January 30th, 2020 08:00

Actually, there is also S192R (the one with 32GB modules specified) which I'm going to use by adding 2x32GB modules.

• 

25.1K Posts

January 30th, 2020 08:00

Yes, that's correct. DxxR and DxxxR configurations can only be used with two socket set ups.

As suggested by yourself, the S192R should be fine.

Thanks ^AR

February 4th, 2020 10:00

We have the same issue here. We have 5 Precision 7920 and they are all freezing randomly in Windows 10. All of them have stock configuration from DELL (32GB ram and Quadro P4000). We tried updating all drivers/bios etc. but the issue still stands. We also re-imaged them with different images that works well on our other DELL precision computer and even installed from a Windows 10 media but had no success in resolving the issue.

The freezing is quite odd, the mouse is able to move, you can ping the computer and you can access some applications that are already opened but cannot start any new applications like task manager. From my testing, the symptoms are identical of a Windows 10 computer where you would remove the OS drive while windows is running. Everything in memory(RAM) still works but you cannot open anything new that need access to a file located on the missing disk. I did try to change the Micron 1300 SSD for another brand but the issue was not resolved so i'm not sure what is going on. Any help would be apreciated.

33 Posts

February 4th, 2020 12:00

Yes, this is completely happening. And it's exactly as you are describing. I thought I had this solved since I reseat the RAM using the memory configuration table but right now (5 days later) this machine is frozen, also another one in one lab reported to me today. DELL, you need to take care of this situation it's affecting multiples users. We are waiting for you.

33 Posts

February 4th, 2020 12:00

@DELL-Cares  No luck, this is happening  even on default shipped machines from DELL, look at the other response in this thread from a forum member @Frederic.Noiseux

We are waiting, I suspect it's a underlying Windows 10 issue or a hardware issue. Keep in mind that even with the latest BIOSes and drivers this still happen. Also, the memory placement is correct, the sizes, everything as I've memorized that table. Also a hint for you: this happens (at least in all our cases, not sure on @Frederic.Noiseux  machines) "when the machine is idle" . If I push the machine with benchmarks, etc. this does not present itself at least I haven't ran benchmarks for days, but only for hours.

But today the machine was good this morning, I would work, open the browser, etc. I didn't did much today I leaved chrome opened, also edge, etc 1 window I believe, then I said, "OK, let me let this machine idle for a while" (on my desk) then when I came back to it after a few hours the monitor is black and no video output, on other times is like you can move the mouse but nothing works well. We need assistance from DELL in this particular case.

33 Posts

February 4th, 2020 13:00

@DELL-Cares it says: "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations"

As per putting the Windows 10 again I have done that a few times, same issue.

• 

25.1K Posts

February 4th, 2020 13:00

Hi, was this with both sfc and DISM? Could you drop me a direct note with the details? ^SP

No Events found!