Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

1 Rookie

• 

15 Posts

February 1st, 2021 03:00

DELL 7740 BIOS update fail, 1.11.2 Stalls at 0%

The latest BIOS 1.11.2 stalls at 0% progress. After a few hours I restart the system and it reverts back to 1.10.x.

I tried loading the BIOS from the F12/Flash BIOS update menu.

Bitlocker is disabled (should not be a factor updating from a USB flash disk).

Has anyone else updated their 7740 to 1.11.2, any issues, any solutions ?

Prior BIOS updates succeeded on the same system.

Tx

3 Posts

April 22nd, 2021 06:00

Question: Where is Step 6 from Step 4?

"4. If BIOS has rolled back successfully (to any version before 1.10.2), then go to step 6. If not, then try Method 2."

What is clearing the CMOS mean?

I'm not that great with Windows.

Can someone do a video on YouTube of you experience and post the link?

I'd like to see this being done.

Thanks

1 Rookie

• 

2 Posts

October 6th, 2021 16:00

I tried to update 7740 to 1.14.0 BIOS update released Sept 1st 2021 and it stuck at zero. I had to pull battery switch in order to re-start. Any idea how to fix the issue?

• 

25.7K Posts

October 6th, 2021 16:00

Hello, I see you are looking for technical assistance. If you need our help, you can start a private message with us and we will be happy to assist you.

1 Rookie

• 

15 Posts

October 7th, 2021 09:00

I had no issues with 1.14, one option is to connect a 1080p monitor to the HDMI port and start (turn on) the computer immediately close the lid / screen. With 1.11.4 this enabled the normal BIOS upgrade.

20 Posts

October 11th, 2021 13:00

I am having the same problem with the latest Bios update posted for the Precision 5510. Every Bios update since I owned the computer installs just fine. I talked to a fleet manager with multiple machines and they are having the same problem. The inital part of the Bios update that is supposed to start Bios Shield etc and start the bios update program is not making the call to the Bios Update program. It is a defective driver update which Dell has posted plenty of in the past.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 14th, 2023 11:00

@thenags  Be useful if you provide more details:

1. Is this a Precision 7740 PC?
  2. What version of BIOS is installed now and what version did you try to install?
  3. How did you try to run the BIOS update?
  4. Did you get an error message or...?
  5. Does the PC still boot?

4 Posts

April 14th, 2023 11:00

Was really hoping this was going to do it for me, but no luck

4 Posts

April 14th, 2023 13:00

It's on a Vostro in my case but was hoping unplugging the monitors would help.  I've tried to update to the 2 newer versions available.  Issue persists with both.  No error message, it just sits at 0% until the end of time.. Or until we pull power and boot back up for another try.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 14th, 2023 15:00

@thenags  - Exactly which Vostro?

How are you attempting these updates, inside Windows or via the F12 flash update option with a USB stick?

4 Posts

April 16th, 2023 13:00

Inside Windows via Dell Command Update as the machine is not local to me.

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 16th, 2023 16:00

@thenags  You still haven't told us the exact Vostro model or the version of Windows.

Have you looked at the Support page for this BIOS update to see what it says and decide if you really need it?

Is there any way somebody local can run this update from a USB stick via the F12 Flash Update option? Or  just download it locally onto the PC and run the .exe file manually rather than using Command Update?

10 Elder

• 

44.3K Posts

April 20th, 2023 12:00

Sounds like this update might be scheduled for installation by Windows Update.

If UEFI Capsule Updates is still disabled in BIOS setup, try enabling it and save the change. That may to allow the update to install, and then you can disable Capsule Updates again...

4 Posts

April 20th, 2023 12:00

It's a Vostro 3910 running Windows 11.  I definitely don't need the BIOS update but for some reason it keeps trying to install itself and every time it does we have to power cycle the computer to get it back online.  I was hoping if I could get it successfully installed this would stop happening.  I'm more than happy to find a way to get it to stop trying to auto-flash as well.

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

May 21st, 2024 16:37

THIS IS THE BIOS RECOVERY FILE THAT WORKS, it the second download at bottom of page https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=xxyyp

The one listed in the dell support page is wrong, put this file on a fat32usb drive, turn laptop off.

hold control and escape key, then plug in power supply, worked for me on 7740 with 4k screen stuck in "bios blocked screen"
No Events found!