Start a Conversation

Unsolved

AA

3 Posts

August 21st, 2019 10:00

Dell Precision 5510 battery swelling

Can someone from Dell help me understand the replacement policy for a swollen battery? Last year the battery of my Precision 5510 got swollen and pushed the trackpad out. At that time Dell replaced the battery. Now, roughly about a year later, it has happened again. This time Dell Tech support has refused to replace the battery stating that it is normal for a battery to swell and it is not covered under warranty. The laptop is around 3.5 years old but has an extended Pro Support Plus for 5 years. I would like to know if it is really normal for batteries to swell? Thanks!

3 Posts

August 25th, 2019 07:00

Nobody from Dell wants to answer?

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

August 28th, 2019 06:00

@A-AIC thanks for getting in touch. The information you have been provided is correct. In order to make batteries fit in ultra thin slim chassis they no longer have plastic cases or metal spines surrounding them. This is seen across all manufacturers, not just Dell.

Batteries by design will swell up when they are reaching the end of their life and a result of this can be cracked plastics in areas that surround the batteries. For systems with warranties over 3 years, batteries are not covered for years 4 and 5. This is similar to the standard offering of a 1yr battery warranty and optional 3yr battery. I do not recall anyone offering a battery warranty greater than 3 years from initial purchase.

Alan

2 Posts

October 4th, 2019 04:00

You might want to check your country for specific consumer protection laws. I recently took Dell to our protection body in NSW and won - almost identical scenario to yours - battery initially replaced 14 months ago in Precision when it was covered under warranty - same problem happened two weeks after warranty expired.

Dell would not cover it - went to our consumer protection body - essentially the product is not fit for purpose - a laptop is designed for more than a 3 year lifetime and it is not reasonable to replace a battery to only have it fail in exactly the same way in a little more than 12 months.

Dell caved and replaced it and the trackpad for free 

Craig

July 7th, 2020 11:00

Dell sells expensive computers with defective parts and does nothing to fix the problems.

Beware do not buy Dell they do not honor selling defective parts in their products

1 Message

September 17th, 2020 16:00

I have already had two batteries swell in my 5510 pushing the touchpad out.

Now the 3rd replacement is pushing the touchpad out again.  Paid for a next day on site warranty, yet was just told I'll have to pay for the battery myself even though it's not that old, and is definitely defective, and damaging my machine.

1 Message

January 17th, 2022 09:00

Not buying this explanation. I've had a Macbook Pro since Aug 2014 and there are ZERO issues with the battery. I talked to people with a similar good experience in Lenovo laptops. This comes down to whatever Battery technology Dell has chosen for their laptops. I have spoken to 2 people who are experts in this area (battery technology) and Dell is considered one of the worst in the industry

No Events found!