Start a Conversation

Unsolved

R

5 Posts

September 30th, 2022 04:00

Dell Precision 5520: BSOD when powering through adapter, no problem via Docking Station

Hello everyone,
it's my first post here and I hope to find some advice/solution.

I bought a used Precision 5520. It came with a 130W power adapter, equiped with a cable adapter 7.4 TO 4.5MM DC CONVERTER CABLE.
After a couple of weeks I have discovered a pattern that when I connect the laptop directly to the supplied power adapter within a couple / dozen of minutes I experience a blue screen of death (BSOD) and the computer crashes and restarts.

The same power adapter connected to the docking station WD15 and the docking station connected to the laptop via the USB-C gives NO problems at all - the computer works fine and stable.

I am wondering what may be causing the issue. I suspect it may be:

1. the 7.4 TO 4.5MM DC CONVERTER CABLE --> buying  new one is aprox 40 EUR (!), I am wondering if it's worth the while.

2. battery on the laptop --> but if this were the case wouldn't I experience the same problem via USB-C power input?

One other solution I was considering was to buy a new USB-C 130W Dell power adapter, but I am unsure if this will solve the problem.

Many thanks for any solutions, ideas, tips.

• 

25.7K Posts

September 30th, 2022 22:00

We tried reaching you on a private message asking for the Service Tag number to ascertain the warranty but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

October 1st, 2022 11:00

Dear Moderator,

I have provided my service tag, but I am afraid the laptop is outside of the Dell's warranty period. I would appreciate any further hints as to a self-testing procedure that I could undertake to pin the problem down. 

Many thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Romek

October 3rd, 2022 03:00

Up. Any thoughts / advice on it?

October 11th, 2022 02:00

Conversating with myself, but maybe it will be useful for someone else. It turns out the adapter cable 7.5mm-4.5mm was at fault here causing the BSOD. Changing for a dedicated 130W dell power adapter with the 4.5mm output cable solved the problem.

Relieved.

April 13th, 2023 09:00

Unfortunately the issue persists. It occurs randomly, but still only when powering the laptop via battery or the power adapter, not while in the docking station.
It does not seem to be linked to any specific piece of software. I cannot force Windows to write the minidump files, but the SystemLog shows some WHEA errors linked to the PCI bus. I am not an expert, but I found that another user reported WHEA problems to be associated with his processor being underpowered (he was using an app to lower the processor's voltage to keep it cool). 
I suspect my problem is associated to the battery driver somehow. I tried updating the driver with the DEll's driver (replacing the standard Win 10 driver), but I can't install it as I am getting the 1720 error on the installation, and I don't know how to fix it.
Any help? Ideas? 

No Events found!