Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

85 Posts

December 29th, 2021 08:00

Dell Precision 5760: Bluetooth mouse issues

Hey guys, I just received my dell precision 5760 and quickly realized I have the same issue described in this discussion:

Solved: Re: XPS 9310 (including 2-in-1): Bluetooth mouse issues with summary - Page 2 - Dell Community

"The pointer will function as normal as long as it keeps moving. If the pointer goes idle (doesn't move) for a period greater than a second, there is some probability that when I start to move the pointer again it will be frozen for a period greater than a fraction of a second, as much as several seconds."

I tried updating drivers + BIOS. I even tried upgrading to Windows 11. Nothing worked! 

I would appreciate help. Dell phone support were unable to provide help. It's very frustrating to say the least.

BIOS version: 1.5.3

85 Posts

December 29th, 2021 18:00

Update:

After hours of trial and error, I tried turning off power saving on some devices in “Device Manager”. I narrowed it down to Thunderbolt(TM) Controllers under "system devices". Although it didn't entirely fix the issue (There's still a minimal delay of 200-300 ms) but it's much better than the 1-2 seconds delay.

I don't know the implications of this so I'd love to hear from tech support if this is okay to do.

This is kind of a workaround so I still expect Dell to get a better understanding of this issue (I saw that many customers had this issue and previous workarounds were discontinued by either Microsoft or Dell/ were introduced back again in newer BIOS versions). I still expect Dell to come up with a solution for this issue.

Dell Thunderbolt.png

85 Posts

January 4th, 2022 09:00

Update2: 

I have been advised by Dell support to perform the following steps: (copied from the Email)

"

Disable the USB 3.1 power management settings in the Windows Device Manager.

1. Press the Windows + R key on the keyboard.
  2. In the run dialog box, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter.
  3. In the Device Manager window, expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers.
  4. Right-click Intel USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controller and select Properties.
  5. Go to the Power Management tab.
  6. Uncheck Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.unnamed.png
  7. Click OK.
  8. Close the Device Manager window and restart the computer.

"

The solution seems to have similar effect to what I accomplished in the previous post.

I will update later. For now it seems to work (although the delay isn't entirely gone but it's better)

85 Posts

January 5th, 2022 02:00

Update (WARNING):

I am warning you from using this workaround as a temporary fix. I experienced extreme battery drain in sleep mode (even after closing the lid) after applying this. I do not recommend using this workaround as it can degrade, or even permanently damage the laptop from excessive heat when encased.

I went back to using the solution I found earlier which is to uncheck the same option for Thunderbolt(TM) Controllers instead of Intel USB 3.1 eXtensible Host Controllers which doesn't seem to have a noticeable effect on battery drain in sleep mode.

I urge Dell to find a permanent solution for this issue.

Screenshot_1.png

85 Posts

January 6th, 2022 07:00

To prove my point, I'm attaching info from "https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/design/device-experiences/bluetooth-power-management-for-modern-standby-platforms". D2 Exit latency to active should be less than 100ms. How those so called "engineers" say 1-2 seconds is "Normal" I'm literally furious.. 

D2.png

85 Posts

January 6th, 2022 07:00

After days of troubleshooting and a few sleepless nights, I received an update from Dell-Care that a 1-2 mouse delay is "normal".

"It is expected behavior caused by device needing to reconnect after Bluetooth controller goes into low power mode (D2). This has been confirmed with Intel as is part of the design protocol and a 1-2 second delay is normal."

I do not accept this. I am disappointed to say the least. My previous laptop (Precision 5520) doesn't have this issue. Any normal human being can't work with a 1-2 mouse delay each 2 seconds of it being idle. I cannot do CAD work with convenience. Gaming is out for sure. And everyday interactions are so annoying, it's like getting electric shocks all day.

I need a permanent fix as soon as possible.

85 Posts

January 6th, 2022 08:00

This was suggested but it's an outdated workaround and doesn't work on newer models or BIOS. see picture. I have been literally trying tens of workarounds suggested by Dell support. Nothing worked. I will soon post all solutions that had no effect. I'm literally worn out.

power management.png

1 Message

January 15th, 2022 07:00

... any luck/updates? just got a precision laptop and am looking to buy a mouse. appreciate you sharing all of your troubleshooting!

85 Posts

January 21st, 2022 13:00

Hey there!

Not yet. Have you bought a bluetooth mouse? Did you have the same issue? 

85 Posts

February 2nd, 2022 16:00

I have received an update from DELL-Cares that engineers will issue a fix in the next BIOS update 1.7.0

85 Posts

February 7th, 2022 03:00

Update:

The issue hasn't been solved. Some users with same laptop model and a different CPU managed to solve the issue by disabling power management for the Bluetooth Device. The solution works only for models with i7 11850H CPU. My laptop has a Xeon W-11955M which is lacking power management features.

I'm losing patience and considering replacing the motherboard with i9-11950H CPU. Can anyone confirm whether power management features are supported for that CPU?

85 Posts

March 9th, 2022 14:00

Update:

I'm happy to update that the issue has been addressed on BIOS update 1.7.2 (07 Mar 2022).

However, there is still a minimal delay after 5 seconds the mouse/keyboard being idle but it's much better than what it was before. Current delay is somewhere between 50-100ms and it triggers each time the mouse or the keyboard is left idle for 5 seconds.

* Edit: I'd suggest extending the time in which the device goes into idle mode more than 5 seconds so this delay doesn't trigger while working.

85 Posts

March 23rd, 2022 11:00

Update!

I'm excited to update you that after installing a Windows update released by Microsoft, the issue of the mouse/keyboard delay was completely gone. The update was recently released on 3/22/2022.

Update name:

"March 22, 2022—KB5011543 (OS Builds 19042.1620, 19043.1620, and 19044.1620)"

It's advised to automatically find the Windows update within "check for updates" from startup or search menu.

So, to conclude:

- Update the BIOS to the latest version (decreased Bluetooth delay time)

- Update latest Windows update (completely solved the issue)

I would love other community members to confirm if this solution also worked for them. It's literally a relief to work with 0 delay.

85 Posts

March 23rd, 2022 13:00

Actually nevermind. I was too fast to judge as the delay was wasn't really fixed. The issue behaves in a strange way that if you connect another device that keeps the Bluetooth awake (Like headphones while playing music), the delay would be gone and that's what made me think it was resolved. (The delay was back when I disconnected the headphones).

They delay decreased after the last BIOS update but it's still persistent.

93 Posts

June 3rd, 2022 14:00

I just saw this thread and have issues with mouse delays using 7760 with i9 processor. Problem seems to start randomly, that is it starts randomly but then remains consistent until a new boot. The randomness makes it hard to pinpoint patterns or a possible cause. Symptoms are 1)slowness and jerkiness of the cursor, and 2)  while press-holding cursor, the cursor drops (example: to drag a file or window, or to select text, the selection drops before the button is released). I’ve noticed this mostly while using performance-heavy apps such as Photoshop and Lightroom, and also in the windows task manager, while using windows explorer and file manager. 

February 11th, 2024 07:01

SAme think hear. I have a 5760 2 years now. LAtely i have thiw issues of delay on Mouse(dell bluetotth mouse ) and keyboard of the laptop. When running the laptop in battery and COOL mode , the mouse pointer goes idle (doesn't move) for a period greater than a second, there is some probability that when I start to move the pointer again it will be frozen

No Events found!