Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 18th, 2019 11:00

Dell WD19TB Dock + Dell Precision Mobile 5540 + Ubuntu Linux 18.04 LTS

Hi I recently purchased a Dell Mobile Precision 5540 along with the WD19TB Dell dock. The O/S is Ubuntu Linux 18.04.03 LTS. I have a noticed an issue with suspend and connect and disconnect with the laptop and the dock. Issues are as such: After the computer suspends (due to inactivity) and I refresh the same by hitting the power button on the machine none of the peripherals (keyboard and mouse connected via USB to the Dock) are recognized and the only option is to reboot to get them active again. After I disconnect the thunderbolt cable to the machine and reconnect the same issue as above where the keyboard and mouse connected via the dock are recognized unless I perform a reboot., Any one else experiencing this? Any suggestions? Is this a dock issue or power management issue. Thanks

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

September 20th, 2019 03:00

@dell personal thanks, can you try installing the latest Ubuntu BIOS for the system please and let me know if it has any affect on the issue - 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Have you tried resetting Linux back to its defaults?

Would you be willing to try the latest version of the OS from Canonical themselves rather than Dell as it contains the very latest updates - https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop

Alan

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

October 28th, 2019 08:00

@FloHed thanks for adding to the thread. 

The following link explains how to update the BIOS in Ubuntu

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln171755/updating-the-dell-bios-in-linux-and-ubuntu-environments?lang=en

Can you try those steps and let me know how you get on with that.

Additionally, as I mentioned in the above post, are you running the latest version of the OS from Canonical or are you running the Dell factory installed version?

Alan

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

September 19th, 2019 05:00

@dell personal the WD19TB has been certified by Canonical to work without issue on 18.04 so it should work.

The version of 18.04 that you have installed, is that the original version that shipped with the system or did you download it from Canonical?

Has this issue always been present since you received the system or has it only appeared lately?

Is this the only system you have access to?

Alan

September 19th, 2019 11:00

The Original version.

image_2019-09-17_14-18-36.png

Yes since I got the system (been 3 days).

That is correct as in only system.

Thanks

4 Posts

October 24th, 2019 06:00

Hi,

I have the same problem with the Dell precision 5530 ; I downloaded a Bios updater but it is an exe file (although I explicitly selected Ubuntu as OS) ; how am i supposed to run the exe from Ubuntu ? I am not sure Wine can be a solution for such a critical task !

Best Regards,

Florent Hedin

2 Posts

October 25th, 2019 05:00

any update on this issue?

I'm planning to buy the same model and use also ubuntu on it

4 Posts

November 4th, 2019 00:00

Hi,

thanks for this reply, I am running the following version of Ubuntu :

Linux 4.15.0-66-generic #75-Ubuntu SMP Tue Oct 1 05:24:09 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Description: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS
Release: 18.04
Codename: bionic

My machine is apparently compatible with fwupdmgr, I will have a look at this thanks.

Best,

FH

4 Posts

November 4th, 2019 00:00

The problem is apparently solved in my case, the WD19TB is properly detected now and for the moment everything appears to be stable !

Thanks again !

FH

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

November 4th, 2019 06:00

@FloHed that's good to hear. 

Do you know if updating the BIOS resolved the issue for you?

Alan

4 Posts

November 5th, 2019 08:00

Yes it was apparently required to update the bios in order to support the WD19TB.

Best,

FH

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

November 6th, 2019 03:00

@FloHed excellent, that's good to know.

Alan

No Events found!