Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

5 Posts

September 15th, 2019 23:00

How to downgrade thunderbolt firmware

Hello,

I am using Precision 3540 with "Intel_TBT3_FW_UPDATE_NVM44_Y9HXJ_A02_4.44.118.001"

i would like to downgrade to previous version "Intel_TBT3_FW_UPDATE_NVM40.03_HHHYG_A00_4.40.29.002"

When i tried, i got error "Thunderbolt system firmware update failed"

How can i downgrade this firmware? 

Capture.PNG

5 Posts

September 19th, 2019 00:00

Hello Dell,

Anyone know how to fix this? 

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

September 19th, 2019 06:00

@Froziez thanks for reaching out.

What is the reason that you are choosing to downgrade the firmware? Generally firmware updates are released to address issues and vulnerabilities that we have encountered. 

Having checked the support site I can see only 1 firmware revision available with no previous versions listed. Where have you downloaded the previous revision from?

Generally for Thunderbolt firmware updates, its recommended to be running the latest Thunderbolt driver first - are you running the latest Thunderbolt driver on the system - https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=tbt59&oscode=wt64a&productcode=precision-15-3540-laptop

Alan

5 Posts

September 20th, 2019 02:00

Hello Alan, this is where you can find the previous version : https://www.dell.com/support/home/th/en/thbsd1/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=hhhyg i will definitely using the latest version as it solved the issue i had. The reason that i would like to downgrade is i need to test it in multiple situation. For example: - Silent installation - what happen if i execute FW update while the current one is already updated - what happen if i execute FW update while the current one is newer version - Return code - etc. Best Regards, Noppadol

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

September 20th, 2019 06:00

@Froziez I have asked my engineering team to try the downgrade. I will let you know the results and what happens.

Alan

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

September 20th, 2019 07:00

@Froziez having just attempted to downgrade the BIOS, we had the same issue. It advises you are on the latest version and it won't let you downgrade. Your system is working as designed.

Alan

5 Posts

September 24th, 2019 01:00

Hello Alan,

You are saying that Dell engineer has no idea how to downgrade the new FW that tested/released by Dell? 

So how can they be sure that there will be no unexpected error during the FW upgrade? 

Well, i would need all return error code that i might get when i perform the upgrade.

For example,

2 = reboot require

10 = battery error

i only found 2 error as we only have 2 machines for test.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

September 24th, 2019 03:00

@Froziez our engineering team know exactly how to downgrade a firmware. The process can be implemented for testing and rollback purposes, however, its not recommended that customers do this.

The steps taken to do this are confidential as are the list of codes generated.

For that reason I am unable to release that information publicly.

Alan

No Events found!