Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 30th, 2018 18:00

M6700 NO BOOT SCREEN - rapidly restarting

There is no Precision board and the L'attitude is the only other business computer I know of. Hi. I need some help here. My workstation will not start. I will detail it s behavior below. I've done every trouble shooting standard that I know of including memory, removing hardware, etc.

Plug in and it begins to power on by itself. There is no display. It runs for about 10 seconds and then begins to restart itself every 4 seconds. It seems that the fans will alternate functioning. CPU fan and GPU fan at very high rpm. Both fans do not run at the same time. Sometimes when it powers down, the GPU fan (not spinning) begins to emit a strange sound: it sounds like low buzz that climbs in frequency for about 10 seconds. Like something is powering up; again the fan at this time (and the computer itself) is not powered up at all. The only order I have been able to give the computer that works is to hold down the D key to run the display self test, which goes through white, red, green and blue, then powers off and returns to the behavior I just described.

May 2nd, 2018 18:00

This is a certified refurbished Precision. I went by what my account read - no warranty - and while this may not be under Dell warranty I've come to find that it's covered by your partners who are helpful to say the least. I'm not sure why I didn't think to ask them about this first. I'm not sure why dell wouldn't suggest here or in other communications that I do that before possibly voiding that warranty, but you live you learn I suppose.

April 30th, 2018 18:00

A couple of things to mention in addition; This is a "new" certified refurbished with new Dell issued Win10Pro key.

Precision M6700
Service Tag:

There are no blinking lights indicating an error code.

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

May 1st, 2018 03:00

It sounds like the motherboard is probably faulty.

Does the system start up using battery power only?

If it does, do you get any LED patterns? (hold down the Fn key whilst powering the system on)

http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_precision_mobile/precision-m6700_owner%27s%20manual_en-us.pdf (page 70)

Does it still start up itself if you remove the battery and then plug in the AC adapter?
What happens if you attach power with all the memory removed? Do you get the same symptoms? (there should be memory located under the keyboard too)

If you could let us know, thanks.

May 1st, 2018 09:00

If I use the battery for power - and do not plug it in, the only difference is that I must push the power button to turn it on. The described behavior is the same.
This is also true of whether or not all ram modules are installed, one is installed or none are installed.
There are no power indicators that suggest a problem, the caps lock light remains on. The power light remains on if it's plugged in. If the battery is installed, the battery light remains charging or charged.
Holding down the fn key doesn't seem to do anything. Only holding down the "d" key will run the display test.
I know where the additional memory slots are located, I have the manuals. I know hardware. The original post is as accurate as this reply. I need non-standard troubleshooting help as I have already determined this to be a non-standard problem.

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

May 2nd, 2018 03:00

If you're happy removing components, you could try disconnecting everything from the motherboard bar the CPU to see if the indicators change. (The system will/should power on just by adding AC power in this state: http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln18399/paid-diagnostic-faq-kb-article-322086?lang=en )

You could also try a reset of the RTC, removing the AC, battery and CMOS battery then holding in the power button to drain any residual power.

2 Posts

August 24th, 2019 13:00

Did they tell you what they found? I'm having the exact same problem. Every detail is the same. However I have no warranty.

No Events found!