Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

M

1 Message

May 22nd, 2022 08:00

Multiple 7750/7760 Laptops bent or warped in the center!

Hi all, first post...

I've been working with Precision 7710 and 7720 laptops for a while (full tear-down rebuilds for home), I own a Covet M6800, and I work with a 7540 at work.  These machines are well designed and have been problem free for years (at least the M6800). So solid, modular, and well constructed.

I looked at the next generation after the 7740 and I was very excited about the specs!  I have recently purchased 2 computers from the Dell Business Outlet.  A Precision 7750, and then a Precision 7760.  I have questions for the forum about the build quality of this generation, and here's why...  BOTH of these machines had a bend right down the middle of them, right at the network port.  It's like someone put them on the edge of the table and pushed down on the right and left sides to cause the center to bend up!  The bend on the 7750 was so bad that when I received it, the keyboard lattice was popped off, the screen bottom interfered with the palm rest when I opened it, and it was visibly bulged up in the center!  I thought maybe it was like an ergonomic keyboard feature I hadn't yet read about... then I happen to look down the rear of the laptop from the side...  It was arched up right off the table in the center about 5mm higher than the edges!

I returned that machine thinking maybe it was a fluke and ordered the 7760.  It came with a slightly lesser bend, but a serious enough one that it looked like maybe Dell had tried to bend it back.  The metal above the network port was warped and bent outward, and the machine had a visible arc to it when looked down from the side... I returned the 7760 without even powering it up.  Not taking any chances with a $5,000 (refurbished!) machine.

I searched ebay for a bit and found another 7750 with the right specs.  Pictures looked good until I asked the seller to send me pics looking down the rear edge of the computer and of the network port.  His computer was bent as well, to a lesser degree, and the network port had been bent back to sort of straight with a pair of pliers.  You could see the scratch marks in the metal.

Now, before someone tells me that a bend is normal... the same ebay seller showed me another machine that had no bend.. so I know they do exist.  The bends I've seen are also not the same on different machines.

What happened to the build quality?  I noticed the frame on the 7740 series is still a full magnesium frame with a separate silver metal edge that screws into it all around internally with 4 screws into the back (2 into the hinges, like the 7710/7720/7730, and 2 more for stability in the center rear area).  But the 7750 on... looks like the frame stops early, and the design depends on the bottom aluminum cover and the heatsink/fan to provide rigidity???  WOW... Only bottom screws and silly plastic snaps that can potentially break off when you pop the rear off the bottom.

I can't imagine that these bends are good for longevity of components.  PCBs don't like being stressed.

Take a look at YOURS and see if you see the bend!  If you don't, treat it gently.  I'm not sure how much pressure it would take to bend it!7750 See the warp in the center of the rear bottom?7750 See the warp in the center of the rear bottom?7750 Look at the wavy metal at the top of the network port...7750 Look at the wavy metal at the top of the network port...7750 VERY obvious bend in the center at the network port.7750 VERY obvious bend in the center at the network port.7760 Bend, note palm rest near screen hinge7760 Bend, note palm rest near screen hinge7760 Note the SIGNIFICANT bend in metal above the network port7760 Note the SIGNIFICANT bend in metal above the network port

• 

25.2K Posts

May 23rd, 2022 02:00

We tried reaching you on a private message asking for the Service Tag number to ascertain the warranty but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

February 14th, 2024 13:16

@DELL-Cares

I have the same problem described above by user Melifluonze.

Laptop model is 7440, brand new, taken out of the box just today.

Can you advise what to do? I can send you in private the service tag.

Thank you in advance!

No Events found!