Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

1 Message

August 28th, 2019 13:00

Precision 7530 Sleep While Running Randomly, Close and Reopen Lid to Wake Required

Hi, My Precision 7530 Laptop is going to sleep while operating. To awaken, I have to shut my laptop lid and re-open. At some times, this happens every ~10 seconds, making it extremely frustrating to use. Other times, I can go up to 10 minutes without the issue occurring. I don't know 100% if the laptop is sleeping, but it appears to be. The screen goes black and the power-on button does not function to start it up. The lid must be closed and reopened to get it to come back. If I do it immediately, no login is required and I jump right back into the same state as when blackout occurred. I would believe there's some mechanical issue internal causing this, looking for any help to try and mitigate. I would assume all my sleep settings are disabled. Also, using a 3rd party program (ex: caffeine) to disable sleep does not fix the problem. Thanks

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

September 1st, 2019 08:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @ejjman1 

First thing to try would be to go into the BIOS and make note of the "SATA Operation" configuration.

Then reset the BIOS to "Default" settings.

Power-on and test.

Next is to make sure you have no devices near the laptop that could be triggering the "Reed Switch"

Things that can trigger the switch: Cell phones, AC adapter, Apple watch etc.

Best regards,

U2

3 Posts

January 20th, 2020 02:00

I have had this problem since almost a year now.

Tried to install the NVidia Powermizer, but this did not really help.
https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/Screen-going-black-but-still-running/td-p/4654576

In the BIOS I have done the following changes:
Settings -> Video -> Switchable Graphics:
Uncheck the Enable Switchable Graphics box
Check the Discrete Graphics Controller Direct Output Mode

The switchable graphics setting allow the OS to switch dynamically between the builtin Intel graphics and the faster but more power consuming NVidia graphics card. Apparently the drivers and/or hardware can’t handle this switching correctly.

Dell newest BIOS 1.12.1 - the black screen issue was not solved.

I have looked a bit longer and found out that the following BIOS 1.10.1 is actually taking care of this issue.
Here is the link:
https://www.dell.com/support/home/uk/en/ukbsdt1/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=kvcky

Tried to go back to BIOS 1.12.1, but this issue appeared again so when back to 1.10.1.

This means that the problem is with the BIOS version 1.12.1.
Hopefully DELL will fix this with the new BIOS version

No Events found!