Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 13th, 2020 12:00

Precision 7530 - random display blanking

I purchased a Dell Precision 7530 with intel graphic card (no Nvidia card). I would be very pleased owner of the pretty expensive but good laptop, except one serious issue. The display randomly turns blank.
As you can imagine it makes work on this laptop very difficult. You cannot focus on your task because you keep thinking when everything will disappear again.

This is completely random. Sometimes it happens twice a day, sometimes twice a week. I have already purchased new RAM (ECC) and SSD. I thought the problem was only related to Linux. However, I recently installed Windows 10 and the screen went blank twice this week.

One important (and strange) thing is, that once when I was using an external monitor with the laptop, only main screen switched off (the laptop screen). The external monitor, connected via DisplayPort, kept displaying its content.
... No, I didn't disable main screen. I was using both and suddenly the main one went blank. The system was still running, but I could see only programs opened on the external monitor.

I can fix this by resetting the laptop or sending the computer to sleep and then reawakening one. However, it seems to me that these solutions are not satisfactory in the case of "Dell's ultra-premium Precision mobile workstation" for ~£2k.

BTW, the solution with sending the computer to sleep works only with Windows. I cannot do this on my main environment, when Linux is running. As you probably know, the latest BIOS (v1.13.1) update breaks brightness control, suspending, and WIFI disablement in Linux.

I can live without ACPI working, but it is harder without screen.

Can I hope someone can help me fix it? Thank you in advance.

• 

25.7K Posts

November 13th, 2020 12:00

Update November 23, 2020 = Updating the BIOS to 1.14.4 fixed the issue for now. Customer will post if issue happens again.

1 Message

May 16th, 2023 03:00

Hello,

I have the same issue now.

I purchased a Dell Precision 7530 with intel graphic card and nvidia graphic card.

Once I turn it on, the display starts to flicker with violate horizontal lines. It is always gets fixed by going into sleep mode and back.

But once I turn the laptop off and then reboot it, the flickering comes back.

Updating BIOS to it’s latest version didn’t solve the problem. 

Any advice would be highly appreciated!! 

IMG_6017.jpeg

No Events found!