Start a Conversation

Unsolved

B

13 Posts

September 16th, 2019 03:00

RHEL for Dell Precision 3530

Hello, friends. I'm having trouble installing. Trottling on all cores, incorrect operation of the graphics card. Severe overheating and system hang. Can anyone have instructions for installing Red Hat on a laptop?

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

September 18th, 2019 06:00

@bygryapg severe overheating and hanging could be either hardware or software related.

What have done so far to troubleshoot the hardware  - have you run the extended online diagnostics https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/precision-15-3530-laptop/diagnose or the ePSA diagnostics for any error code (Hold down the Fn key and power on the system)

Was the system originally shipped with Red Hat installed?

Here's the official install guide from RedHat themselves - https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-us/red_hat_enterprise_linux/7/html-single/installation_guide/index

Alan

13 Posts

September 18th, 2019 08:00

Friend.

I do everything according to the instructions, but in the end it turns out overheating and hang. I would like to know are there any preinstalled redhat images for the 3530? And what kind of support is provided by redhat for them?

13 Posts

September 18th, 2019 09:00

Hello, Alan.

The system was shipped with Ubuntu, I can not say that it worked stably in terms of deploying a virtualization host on it.

Tried install RHEL: 7.5, 7.7, 8.0, 8.1:

* If not disable in BIOS 5 cores from 6 the is happening hang on overheating on stage;

* If Hyperthreading on = hanging;

* If you make linux.dell.com as an additional repository during the installation phase = hanging;

* Connection the repository after installation does not occur to reinstall the drivers;

At the moment I am in correspondence with the technical support of redhat and they do not know that there is linux.dell.com/repo/hardware/dsu (!). Drivers installed by default do not work correctly, suggestions for disabling drivers manually and installing them not from the official repositories I do not really understand. Accordingly, I have a question: what RedHat can be supplied laptops 3530?

13 Posts

September 18th, 2019 09:00

I'm having some trouble adding a description of the current situation.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

September 19th, 2019 03:00

@bygryapg were you able to run the hardware diagnostics I suggested?

Is the system overheating to the point it shuts down or does it just hang?

When the system hangs, does it recover or do you need to restart the system to make it work?

The version of RHEL that we supply with these systems is 7.5. We only provide OS recovery for the operating system that was shipped with it, in your case that would be Ubuntu 16.04.

AT this stage we really need to determine if this is hardware or operating system related. Are you able to put a clean install of Ubuntu 16.04 on the system to see if it is still freezing and overheating?

Does the system give any error messages related to overheating or thermal issues?

Does the fan spin correctly during use or does it make any abnormal noises during use?

Alan

13 Posts

September 19th, 2019 10:00

@Dell-Alan D 

I'm writing about problems installing RedHat. Ubuntu recovery I do not need the ability to restore I have from the image.

Installing 7 version (7.5 or 7.6 or 7.7) there is a full freeze during the installation phase if you want to specify an additional repository linux.dell.com

If you do not specify, the system is installed, but if you do not disable the processor core, the system also hangs.

The system is fully functional, currently installed Windows 10 for Workstation.

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

September 20th, 2019 03:00

@bygryapg as the system is working perfectly fine wine with Windows 10 installed that indicates that the hardware is working perfectly fine and the issue is with the RHEL install or distribution you are using.

We can only officially support the operating system that was shipped with the system, in your case Ubuntu, not Red Hat.

My suggestion here would be to update the BIOS whilst you have Windows 10 running and once you have installed RHEL, download the only 2 RHEL drivers we have available for the system

image.png

Where are you getting the Red Hat distribution from? 

Are you following the instructions that I provided in my previous message?

You may find the following link helpful - https://access.redhat.com/solutions/3465951

You might have more luck reaching out to Red Hat community specifically for this issue as our support polivy for Linux is very limited.

Alan

13 Posts

September 20th, 2019 05:00

@Dell-Alan D 

Yes the system works perfectly. And I wrote about it above. But I came here because I'm having trouble installing and don't claim official commercial support from Dell.

There are no drivers required for correct operation in the official repositories. Where to get them they do not know. About the fact that Dell Precision 3530 certified RedHat they also do not know.

When connecting the repo linux.dell.com there seems to be some **bleep** with the official Red Hat repositories. When asked what to do, the answer is to use the official and not third-party repositories.

Ultimately this community, am asking aid, can be anyone and will help me

No Events found!