Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 31st, 2010 04:00

2nd SATA drive not recognised in Device manager on Dim3100

Just inherited a Dimension 3100 running XP. Decided to install a 2nd HDD, Samsung 1TB F3. Cloned original

SATA drive to new 2nd SATA drive using a 3rd party non-windows cloning tool, Diskcopy 2.3.

Disconnected original drive. Now running XP on new drive. However Device Manager cannot see this drive so cannot utilise extra unallocated space for a new volume. Device is registered in the registry as SCSI Port 2 Target ID 1.

Tried jumper setting to slow down transfer speed, no effect.

Used Paragon Software Hard Disk Manager to view disc (how it can find it but Windows can't beats me!) . Sees it  but only allows me to format a new partition as FAT16 or FAT32 not NTFS; says 'incorrect directory structure'.

I can only presume that there is an issue with with Logical Disc Manager in Windows or the fact that Dell has placed a FAT 16 small unnamed partition at the beginning of the disk for diagnostic? purposes which

Anybody any ideas?

p.s. been in this industry for nigh on 40 years but this is beginning to baffle me.

6.4K Posts

March 31st, 2010 09:00

Why are you going through Device Manager to manage the drive?  Windows XP handles this via Disk Management, reachable either through the control panel in Admin, or if you know the snap-in name you can go direct via the Run feature in the Start menu.

No Events found!